Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 08:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,530,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
So what I see in the picture, is only screens to keep out bugs, not glass or acrylic panels?
Google "glass solariums." Beautiful and expensive. Actual photos of different types: https://www.patioenclosures.com/solarium-pictures.aspx

I'm actually planning on having a small one built onto my house. Permits are subject to local building codes and rules. Permits will most likely be needed as the glass structure will need a good structurally sound foundation.

Last edited by charlygal; 12-15-2019 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 01:22 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,311,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
So many pool areas are covered by these structures in Florida; thousands and thousands of homes have them.
Sample pictures are indeed from a Florida home!

Old 12-16-2019, 01:25 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,311,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Google "glass solariums." Beautiful and expensive. Actual photos of different types: https://www.patioenclosures.com/solarium-pictures.aspx

I'm actually planning on having a small one built onto my house. Permits are subject to local building codes and rules. Permits will most likely be needed as the glass structure will need a good structurally sound foundation.
Thank you for the link... They are beautiful. Can they resist wind and maybe hail? Or is this just a matter of quality of materials used?

Old 12-16-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Thank you for the link... They are beautiful. Can they resist wind and maybe hail? Or is this just a matter of quality of materials used?
They use tempered glass, which should resist hail damage. The rooms are built to local code, so normal wind conditions are taken into account. Link: https://sunshinerooms.com/frequently-asked-questions

Old 12-17-2019, 06:46 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,112,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
They use tempered glass, which should resist hail damage. The rooms are built to local code, so normal wind conditions are taken into account. Link: https://sunshinerooms.com/frequently-asked-questions

Hope you have plenty of A/C capacity. Sun will bake that enclosed area.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Hope you have plenty of A/C capacity. Sun will bake that enclosed area.
Heating/cooling is an option. I actually plan on skipping the cooling and using the heat to grow tropical plants. It will have windows for cross ventilation and s ceiling fan.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
We have something like this over our swimming pool (in Michigan). It is made with Lucite Panels (Polycarbonite) and an aluminium frame. Each 10' section is slightly smaller than the previous one and each section is on wheels so you can slide the sections one under another and open the pool on warm days. This also allows more active pool play like leaping into the water at a run, etc. If I remember correctly it cost either $25,000 or $55,000 ($55,000 may have included the pool, I just do not remember). I am not sure whether that included the concrete deck, but i think it did. It is called Americover. Not sure whether they still sell them. It is about 10-12' tall where it meets the house and only about 8' or maybe 7' at the small end. Coverage dimensions are 60 feet long and going from 40'wide to about 30' wide, so it is pretty big. Smaller ones are a lot cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House