Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:10 PM

4,030 posts, read 2,714,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I only have a small 1 bedroom apartment and it's only me and my dog, but I sleep in the living room space on a daybed and use my bedroom for my crafts and gardening stuff. You can do whatever you want with your space, well, unless it requires a permit, etc. I think big bedrooms are really wasted space.
My first apartment was a one-bedroom apartment, and it also had a laundry room. When I first moved in, I had just gotten out of the Army and started civilian life, so what little I had in furniture was mostly castoffs from relatives. So I had a sleeper sofa and a coffee table....and that was it. And while having a laundry room in the apartment so I could have my own washer and dryer was nice, the apartment complex had a community laundry room that was right behind my building.

So for the first nine months I lived there, I slept in the living room on the sleeper sofa, and the bedroom was used for storing stuff. Eventually, I was given an old bed set and a dresser, so I did eventually move into the bedroom to sleep, and I have to say, it felt *weird* for a long time.

As for the laundry room, I never did buy a washer and dryer of my own when I lived there, but I did get a cat, so I put his litter box in the laundry room. Kept it away from every thing else in the apartment, and gave the cat a private space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 06:11 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
The room name is meaningless, it becomes whatever the decorating and furnishings are.

No CO issues, you can make every room a bedroom if you wish! The only concern regarding the municipality is the bedroom listing of the house, rooms with closets as the number of listed bedrooms must meet certain constraints with the BOH if you have a septic system on your property.
The CO issue is if you build a master bathroom or, as you point out, the house needs to be taxed for more bedrooms.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:13 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
Technically my house is 2 bedroom two bath and a den. The den being 13 by 9"2 inches. There is no closet in it. I wanted it to remain a den and have the space. I had/have too much furniture. It does lower taxes some because it is not an actual bedroom. When we put this place in we went with an over sized septic just because the cost was not that much different at the time. And a next owner would not want to have to re-do the septic to build a closet in the den adding the third bedroom. I do have a twin bed in the den. The first year after hubby died people kept coming to see me and I needed the extra bed. Even so with out the closet it is considered a den.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Ours is very useful now, finally. We use it as a playroom for the grandkids when they visit or stay over. All of their toys are neatly arranged, and we still have a couch and recliner but we have not used it as a living room for 20+ years. Guests always congregate in the kitchen/family room which is one big room about 16’x40’ with fireplace and lots of windows.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:56 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Well I am a widow and I do miss my late hubby but I am so with you on the liberation on how I can use any and all spaces in my house as I choose now. Hubby was fine with whatever I did while he was still here except I could not move the TV his recliner or our bed. Whatever. OK The bed is still in the same place as it really is the best and maybe only place for it. LOL Unless I want to put it inline with the window with the pet door kitties use to go out to their kennel. NOPE I do not want to sleep in the middle of the freeway. At first I was so liberated with what I could do I had to keep tweaking things to finally get it working for me. Now I look around and wonder how I ever found room for a man in my house? Bless him he really was quite tolerant. And totally taking over the garage. OH My.........................
I am so sorry for your loss! And yes, that is so much different than a divorce

My first husband used to move all the furniture back if I ever moved it. He never said anything to me, but over the course of a few days the room would go back to it's original state. My house was very "traditional" then. LOL

Old 05-27-2019, 08:00 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Things to do with the "dead space" in the living room:

1. Partition it off and rent it.

2. Use it for wakes.

3. Combine 1 and 2, rent it out for wakes.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:06 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
OP: Talk about living "by the book."

Branch out and take a risk in life and do whatever you want with you "living" room!

Old 05-27-2019, 09:00 PM

558 posts, read 434,618 times
I used to have a living room (+den). It didn't have a tv so very quiet for reading. It was always neat if someone stopped by.

Our house now has a family room. We also have a sunroom. Both have televisions, but the sunroom is a quiet space like my old living room.

One living area would not work for me. I don't like tv that much

Old 05-27-2019, 09:05 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I am so sorry for your loss! And yes, that is so much different than a divorce

My first husband used to move all the furniture back if I ever moved it. He never said anything to me, but over the course of a few days the room would go back to it's original state. My house was very "traditional" then. LOL

OH NO That is not funny but I am laughing I can not help it. My hubby was really tolerant. What is this word you speak traditional. Cripes I am still back in the late 60's hippie thrift store tapestries beads incense string curtains. I just can not get a grip on growing up. This old hippie is here to stay. HA only now I guess I have graduated to an old chroe. Tee hee.All is good.

I like to move things around. It is one way I get a really good cleaning going on in here. Hubby was like whatever you know the rules. I felt guilty moving his chair after he died but I had to do so. I could not handle looking at that empty chair where it sat for 10 years with him in it. We had discussed how I was to handle his things and I started immediately the very next day after he died which was a weekend and nothing else I could do as far as paper work. I had to keep busy and it was one thing I was totally clear on what he wanted done. I lost my first husband in 1970 and waited too long to do these things and it only made it harder on me. But while doing all of this to keep from really facing reality my brain was trying to focus on how I wanted to live here now alone forever. After 47 years married or long term relationship stick a fork in me I am done. I am doing really well. We planned and talked endlessly on all of it. It helped.

I love my little home and my yard and animals.

Thanks Would Love To. Enjoy your evening.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:51 PM

92 posts, read 57,948 times
We are about to close on a 3br/2b house scheduled for the end of May. Just me and the missus, so at 2100 sqf we will have room to breathe. The drop down den is open to the kitchen, missus can claim that, and the living room and dining room is open area. I envision the living room having the BIGGEST flat screen tv with surround sound that I can find with 2 of the BIGGEST recliners that I can fit in front of said tv. Ahhh, top of world man cave with a ceiling to floor room divider. Only those who have the password may enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House