Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 11:23 AM

47 posts, read 210,419 times

Advertisements

The last two days I have noticed water droplets on my insulation in the crawl space and some of the boards (floor joists) have damp spots (to feel) Is this normal in NC? None of my pipes are leaking or anything like that. I have all my vents open too. I put a stand up fan down there too yesterday but it didn't do anythin except circulate a little air. I know the humidity is picking up, but do all the crawl spaces have this when it is humid? I already had to go over all the floor joists for surface mold/mildew and I don't want to go through that again. I just need to know if this is normal as I am pulling my hair out and losing sleep. I have no outside sprinklers or anything to attribute this and insulation is damp in about all areas. The house is only 4 years old.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 11:40 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Have you checked with your neighbors to see if they have the same problems? It could be that there is a high water table in your area. If that's the case, you may have to lay out some plastic over the ground to act as a vapor barrier. My crawlspace stays a little damp too, but I also don't have insulation under my house, so I haven't noticed any mold. Have you checked to see where you a/c drain line is dripping? I did find that mine was dripping too close to the foundation, and some of the water was seeping into the crawlspace. I added about 3ft to my drain line which helps get the water away from the house.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:05 PM

I have the ground 100% covered with a barrier layer and there never has been water on it even in the smallest of sense. The AC/Heating unit hasn't been on in about a week and the drain line goes outside and doesn't seem to be an issue. I just can't figure out if this is normal because of the humidity this week?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:00 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
you should never have moisture on any of the structural members / insulation in a crawlspace. I would get a good inspector there to look at, and find the cause. The Barrier you see on the soil is called a vapor barrier, it is meant to keep moisture from coming up from the ground. There is a HUGE mold potential with the moisture you are noticing down there, get it inspected ASAP

Old 04-12-2008, 07:19 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
you should never have moisture on any of the structural members / insulation in a crawlspace. I would get a good inspector there to look at, and find the cause. The Barrier you see on the soil is called a vapor barrier, it is meant to keep moisture from coming up from the ground. There is a HUGE mold potential with the moisture you are noticing down there, get it inspected ASAP
Ditto. You should not have this much moisture under your home. You should have a vapor barrier installed if you do not have one. If that doesn't work, you may also seek help from a waterproofing company.. but beware... if it doesn't make sense, then they will be trying to sell you a bunch of goods that are not necessary. See if you can get a recommendation from someone you trust on who they used and if they were happy with the results. Normally they will guarantee their work and it should be transferrable should/if you sell you home later.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:44 PM

The barrier is dry and the ground is hard underneath, there is no way that the natural humidity or water pipes sweating can won't cause this?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:59 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
The ground and underside are cold. Air entering from the outside is hotter and humid. Cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air. The water condenses out of the air on cooler surfaces.

Some possible solutions:
Somehow heat the space for a few days to bring the temperature up.

Install a dehumidifier to act as the coolest point, and allow the water to condense on it.

Put an extension of the vapor barrier up the walls of the crawl space and install automatic vents.

Construct a duct from a gable roof vent down to the crawlspace and install a temperature controlled fan. The roof and attic get heated by the sun, the air can therefore hold more moisture, that air is pushed down into the crawl space where it heats it and picks up moisture. It then vents out with the moisture load. The same idea can help keep the floors warm on some otherwise cool spring days.

I have to address a similar issue, but mine is more intense, with runoff entering the crawl space. I'll be doing vapor barrier, French drains, possibly pumps, and I've already installed automatic vents and started with mastic on the walls.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 AM

thanks for the ideas... I went down this morning about 7:30 and everything is dry. I already had 1/2 the house waterproofed from the outside about 2 weeks ago ($2,800). I have automatic vents installed, but a couple of them stick shut/open which ever I manipulate them. Can they be replaced easily or is there maintenace that can be done on them to free them up? the only real solution I can see I guess is to permanently close the vents and put a dehumidifier down there? I already had bought a low temp 70 pint one from Lowe's but I don't want to keep emptying the bucket every 2 hours. Maybe there is a way to put it up on blocks and tie it into my AC drain line? SO would this be fair to say that this would most likely be as simple as the crawl space is cold. The warm air comes in through the vents and condenses on wherever it likes?

If I have vents that stick, when is a magic time of the year or constant temp that I can stick them open or how cold does it need to be that they all must be shut?

thanks,

Old 04-13-2008, 01:24 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2BJUMBO View Post
thanks for the ideas... I went down this morning about 7:30 and everything is dry. I already had 1/2 the house waterproofed from the outside about 2 weeks ago ($2,800). I have automatic vents installed, but a couple of them stick shut/open which ever I manipulate them. Can they be replaced easily or is there maintenace that can be done on them to free them up? the only real solution I can see I guess is to permanently close the vents and put a dehumidifier down there? I already had bought a low temp 70 pint one from Lowe's but I don't want to keep emptying the bucket every 2 hours. Maybe there is a way to put it up on blocks and tie it into my AC drain line? SO would this be fair to say that this would most likely be as simple as the crawl space is cold. The warm air comes in through the vents and condenses on wherever it likes?

If I have vents that stick, when is a magic time of the year or constant temp that I can stick them open or how cold does it need to be that they all must be shut?

thanks,
The vents are cheap, less than $20 per vent and should be easily replaceable. When I bought mine, we went through two cases to find enough that worked properly. I don't think they are user repairable. I don't remember the exact temp at which they open, but their primary purpose is keeping the floor warm in cold weather while still providing a little ventilation. Moisture issues are secondary. If there is a magic temperature where you can leave them open or remove them, I don't know it. I would think it depends on air humidity, ground temps, and a host of other factors.

Running a line from a dehumidifier is common. Other than mold build-up in the condensate tray and line, it isn't a problem. A wet vac stuck on the end of the condensate lines for dehumidifiers and air conditioners about twice a year really helps, as do the little disks you toss in the trays.

"SO would this be fair to say that this would most likely be as simple as the crawl space is cold. The warm air comes in through the vents and condenses on wherever it likes? "

Sure sounds like it. Seal the sucker until June, use the dehumidifier until then, then on the hot dry days, fan force air in until it warms up down there. Depending on how the plastic is laid on the ground, you might be able to blow air UNDER it, where it will heat the ground, and have the heat radiate upwards, but not add to the moisture load. I may do something similar myself.

Good luck.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Wouldn't a dehumidifier run 24/7 under there? You'll be buying a new one every year, and your power bill will go up. A dehumidifier is not a long lived machine in my opinion, that's why you see so many reburbished ones on ebay.

The vents around my house are not closeable. The only time I cover them is during the winter when it gets cold enough for my pipes to freeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House