Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 11:44 PM

549 posts, read 2,386,017 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I see that in this crawl space (in the picture) they put a decorative curve on it.

Is it difficult to do?
Is it expensive?
What's the name construction people give it?
Can it be done with stone?

Moderator cut: realtor company's copyrighted image
Your help would be apreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 07:49 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,382,385 times
Can't see the image. Please repost, if permissible.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,745,312 times
Default You are confusing us.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post
Hi,

I see that in this crawl space (in the picture) they put a decorative curve on it.

Is it difficult to do?
Is it expensive?
What's the name construction people give it?
Can it be done with stone?

Moderator cut: realtor company's copyrighted image removed
Your help would be apreciated.
What you are calling a crawl space appears to be the space under a porch that has been walled in with brick. Do you mean the entire house in question has no basement under it the entire length or are you questioning how to just enclosed the porch in the space under it?

If you are referring to the brick wall in the photo that might be called a curtain wall. It is like building any other brick wall. You need a footing of the proper design for the climate. Yes it can be done with stone or and other materials usually used to build outside walls. Curtain walls in general do not bear weight of the structure, just their own weight. In the case of porches, they may have a pier system and the walls are again just decorative or the wall may support the porch, depending on the design.

Yes, it will cost a bit of money. You have to be far more complete in either showing an exact pix of the building you want to do or something like a better description. Some consideration must be given to the pier system presently supporting the porch / building and if that must be moved / replaced. Also usually must consider, is the ground underneath raw dirt or some other type of covering, like cement slab, blacktop, gravel, etc. If you just enclose an area that is raw dirt or moisture can get to the surface, can create moisture problems in an enclosed space.

If you want to make it fancy like that brick wall then it can get to be fairly expensive. Far cheaper is a wood lattice work which is what many porches, house crawl spaces have. They also make a type of plastic curtain wall that is commonly used for things like mobile homes. Again the big considerations usually are to block access to small animals like racoons, cats, dogs etc but not trap and seal in any moisture, plus make it look better. Again in many cases it is typical to use the space under a porch for storage, so another consideration can be the security a curtain wall can provide and how durable do you wish it to be.

You are very unclear exactly what is to be done, pixs are worth a zillion words.

Last edited by Cosmic; 05-14-2007 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-14-2007, 08:53 PM

549 posts, read 2,386,017 times
Hi I sent you guys a private pm with the picture so you can tell me the name of that! Thank you.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:31 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,382,385 times
Okay, now I get it. Actually that was filled in unless the house is new and then its decorative. No, it's not difficult and a bricklayer or stone mason should be able to recreate this - and you can, too. Depends where you are trying to do this. As long as you are not dealing with a load baring wall or other more complex construction issue, you can do this yourself. See your local home improvement store.

Years ago, when such spaces were open, and as I understand it, the crawl space was used as a food cooler. I just wish I knew the architectural name for this. Maybe take a look on the web under architecture. Good luck - sorry I couldn't be more help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House