Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:56 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,098,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
No snow where I live, but i do have 46 inches of rain. i like a flat roof because i think jt looks better. if at an angle it can't be consistent with main house and i think that may look messy.

greenhouses are considered a type of out gouse, like a barn, so bigger size is common.
Outhouses twice the size of the actual HOUSE? (I guess I can see it on huge farms, but on a residential lot.)

Quote:
did some research tbese two days, found that:

Cedar 4x4 beams about $3.5 per linear foot.
Polycarbonate 1/4 inch 48x96 sheets $416 per sheet

based on these prices $10k seems doable.
OP, how many beams do you think you will need for this 40x40 structure? How many sheets of polycarbonate?

For the polycarbonate I did a very very rough estimate in my head ... 4x8 sheet times ten for the front (and that's an 8' height, not the 10' you wanted) = basically a 40' x 8' wall of polycarbonate. Then another ten sheets for each side (again, assuming each side is 40' x 8'). That's 30 sheets right there ($12,480). Then you have to cover the ROOF, which is 1,600 square feet -- divide 1,600 by the 32 square feet in 1 sheet and you get 50 sheets ($20,800).

Again, of course I realize that the dimensions are rough, since the entire area wouldn't be polycarbonate, but then again, you would always need to buy a bit more to make up for cutting mistakes, etc.

So I'm seeing $33,000+ for the polycarbonate alone (no beams, no foundation, no floor, etc.). OP, what was YOUR math that got you below $10,000?

Quote:
a couple more questions i have:

1. if frame is 48x48, will 1/4" polycarbonate sheet sag?
2. how do i water proof the roof?
These are the most basic of basic questions. Have you talked to an architect or structural engineer?

Quote:
Building department says will give me reply by Friday.
I am very curious to see what they will say. I don't know too many cities that would allow "outhouses" as you call them to be twice the size of the "main" house, but maybe Mendocino is an exception!

I am MORE curious about your math, though, in terms of how many beams and sheets of polycarbonate you think you will need ...

(I know I sound negative -- I think of it as realistic, actually -- but I actually hope you can build this ... it would be very interesting to see.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 PM

857 posts, read 961,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Outhouses twice the size of the actual HOUSE? (I guess I can see it on huge farms, but on a residential lot.)

OP, how many beams do you think you will need for this 40x40 structure? How many sheets of polycarbonate?

For the polycarbonate I did a very very rough estimate in my head ... 4x8 sheet times ten for the front (and that's an 8' height, not the 10' you wanted) = basically a 40' x 8' wall of polycarbonate. Then another ten sheets for each side (again, assuming each side is 40' x 8'). That's 30 sheets right there ($12,480). Then you have to cover the ROOF, which is 1,600 square feet -- divide 1,600 by the 32 square feet in 1 sheet and you get 50 sheets ($20,800).

Again, of course I realize that the dimensions are rough, since the entire area wouldn't be polycarbonate, but then again, you would always need to buy a bit more to make up for cutting mistakes, etc.

So I'm seeing $33,000+ for the polycarbonate alone (no beams, no foundation, no floor, etc.). OP, what was YOUR math that got you below $10,000?

These are the most basic of basic questions. Have you talked to an architect or structural engineer?

I am very curious to see what they will say. I don't know too many cities that would allow "outhouses" as you call them to be twice the size of the "main" house, but maybe Mendocino is an exception!

I am MORE curious about your math, though, in terms of how many beams and sheets of polycarbonate you think you will need ...

(I know I sound negative -- I think of it as realistic, actually -- but I actually hope you can build this ... it would be very interesting to see.)
Thank you for the interest and input. It's a learning process for me. I am trying to make the optimal plan here, will take some thinking.

I have my sketch and some preliminary numbers, but there are still too mamy variables. I will post my calculation in a couple of days.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:48 AM

Here is my preliminary plan. I put aside the curve edge for now just to work out a base plan.

In this plan, pillars are 6x6; green color roof beams are 4x6, yellow are 2x6. Connection points (top of each beam) will be reinforced with triangular braces. 1/4"x4'x8' panels go on roof; there will be one or two ribs (red dotted lines) in the middle of each panel to support against sagging.

How to build a custom green house-capture.jpg

Old 07-17-2017, 08:18 AM

8,428 posts, read 7,434,346 times
So that's almost $30K for the solarium, before considering the concrete for the footings, the fasteners and brackets for assembling the structure, and the adhesive for sealing the panels.

Did you also factor in the materials for the side walls?
What about the side view - have you allowed for a pitch for rain runoff and have you figured out how much headroom you'll have below the transverse beams?
Will you have a door that lets you into the solarium from the outside - or let's you out of the solarium in case of a house fire?

Most importantly, what did the building department have to say about your proposed solarium?

Old 07-17-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
So that's almost $30K for the solarium, before considering the concrete for the footings, the fasteners and brackets for assembling the structure, and the adhesive for sealing the panels.

Did you also factor in the materials for the side walls?
What about the side view - have you allowed for a pitch for rain runoff and have you figured out how much headroom you'll have below the transverse beams?
Will you have a door that lets you into the solarium from the outside - or let's you out of the solarium in case of a house fire?

Most importantly, what did the building department have to say about your proposed solarium?
Building department has not replied. I give them all the time they need.

Yes this looks like will be above my original estimate, but still doable. And I am hoping the volume of the polycarbonate panels will bring the price down further. In any case it will still be cheaper than the commercially available kit.

Side panels have been factored in; but doors have not; but the cost of doors and windows should be covered by the savings of the panels. I am still amused how expensive these panels are (my single search result is $400 per 1/4"x4'x8' sheet).

I'm still hoping for a very flat roof, but am now open to a more slanted shape. I think it can look OK even if the pitch is not consistent with the house roof. Need to think some more on this. I will have 9' of headroom over the deck, and on dirt from 12' to 18'.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:22 AM

8,428 posts, read 7,434,346 times
You found $400 for a 4'x8' sheet in your brief search. That's about $12.50 per square foot.

Home Depot sells clear polycarb roof panels for $85 for a 26"x72" panel, or about $1.28 a square foot. Additionally, the corrugation will make for a sturdier sheet. It might not have the same glass pane effect, but it cuts your cost by 90%.

HD also sells Lexan panels, $180 for a 4'x8' sheet, or about $5.60 per square foot. That's less than half the cost of your original material. It's not roofing material, but could work for the walls.

And one other thing - yes, you're going to need to pitch the roof. I noticed from your actual photo of your house that the roof has no rain gutters. All of the rain that falls on the house roof will end up being dumped onto your solarium roof. You'll need a way to shed that water, and it can be a considerable amount.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:49 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,661,007 times
One note about polycarbonate panels: unlike glass, they scratch pretty easily. So, if you want to preserve your view, be sure your panels have scratch resistant coating. This is especially true if you'll be doing the work and heavy lifting yourself. You didn't mention whether your panel estimate is for panels with scratch resistant coating, so, since they generally cost extra, thought I'd mention it.

I'll be really interested to see your photos of this when you're done! Good luck with your plans!

Old 08-10-2017, 08:01 AM

Building department has not replied to me as of today. My realtor said they have a heavy case load and that "squeaky wheel get the oil". But I typically don't want to pressure people who hold veto power...

Also, my wife says that "curved edge" design looks "dated". I do understand there are a lot of such sun rooms over the past decades, but I thought even today this is quite the mainstream sunroom design, no?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,121,426 times
Great project. I'm enjoying watching this progress.

I'm not a builder, but I suspect the curved top is a practical issue. The curve helps disperse rain/snow.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:04 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,661,007 times
Quote:
Building department has not replied to me as of today. My realtor said they have a heavy case load and that "squeaky wheel get the oil". But I typically don't want to pressure people who hold veto power...

Also, my wife says that "curved edge" design looks "dated". I do understand there are a lot of such sun rooms over the past decades, but I thought even today this is quite the mainstream sunroom design, no?
One of the advantages of hiring a contractor is that good contractors will usually know how to work the permit approval process to get things approved in a timely manner.

If you've already submitted your plans with the curved roof design, you'd probably have to submit an amended plan if you change the design and structural elements to go with a different roof line. In other words: more delays.

Also, have you taken into account that this sunroom addition to your house will likely trigger a reassessment of your property taxes under Prop 13? You can read up on that here: https://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/faq...struction.html

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-10-2017 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House