Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:37 AM

58 posts, read 243,125 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out if my recessed lighting is IC or non-IC. As you probably know
IC can touch insulation and non-IC can"t. I cannot find anything in the can that tells
me for sure which it is. I've looked up the available info and didn't get anything definite.
I thought someone here might be familiar enough with recessed lighting to tell by sight.
Any ideas? Pics attached.

Here's what the labels in the can say.

The UL label says:
3/07 E178858
RECESSED
CANDESCENT LUMINAIRE
SUITABLE FOR DAMP LOCATIONS
ISSUE NO. A-226,587

Label above that says:
Housing Model:C5
Made in China
For C101 Trim Caution - Risk of Fire
Max 75W Type
Par30/R30

Caution label says:
Caution: Risk of Fire. Use with "Commercial Electric" Trims only
for each lamp type and wattage indicated.
Notice: Inherently protected. Blinking light of the thermally protected
luminaire may indicate overheating.
Attached Thumbnails
IC or Non-IC recessed lighting. I can't tell!-full-view1.jpg   IC or Non-IC recessed lighting. I can't tell!-full-view2.jpg   IC or Non-IC recessed lighting. I can't tell!-housing-model.jpg   IC or Non-IC recessed lighting. I can't tell!-ul-label.jpg   IC or Non-IC recessed lighting. I can't tell!-warning.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
Commercial Electric is a brand sold by Home Depot.

AFAIK, all Commercial Electric brand fixtures are IC, but you could always take this information down to your nearest store and ask them to confirm.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:32 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,564,922 times
If it's IC, it would say that somewhere on the fixture. Some brands include 'IC' in the model number. The definitive answer should come from the manufacturer. I'm not sure I'd trust a HD employee for the right answer.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:44 PM

You two have pointed out the dilemma I have. I have tried finding the manufacturer online, but there is nothing. I cannot find them. They only Commercial Electric out there specifically says on their site that they do not make anything for Home Depot, so please don't call them. I guess they get a lot of this. haha. I was hoping someone out there could tell by the make of the can, maybe an expert could tell. Thanks for answering though!

Old 03-18-2017, 04:52 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
My initial response is "non-IC"

Are they installed into attic space? Can you easily reach them? A pic from above will definitely confirm. Another tell-tale, all those "holes" in the can. Do they open directly into the attic area or dead space- if so, not IC.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:54 PM

Yeah, it is directly into the attic. That's what I was thinking.
I'm really angry at the guy who put these in. Instead of using the cheapest materials, he should have put IC lights in. And then he just covered them up with the batt insulation. Luckily it hasn't started a fire.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:41 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,232,991 times
I've got about 56 can lights in a midcentury ranch style house. I used a Flir One device with my smartphone to see how much thermal leakage I'm getting through the lights. Each can gets to over 105 degrees in the summer and around 45 degrees during the winter. To make matter worse, I'm pretty sure getting a lot of leaky air through most of them too. When I have the whole house fan on, I can smell that "attic smell" when you stand near them. I've switched all the bulbs to LED over the years, but I've been tempted to through R30 rolls over the non-IC lights. I've even though about running to the dollar store and buying some cheap colanders to use as buffers. The insulation baffles are more than I want to spend…but I wouldn't want to buy myself an attic fire either.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:13 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
They are probably non-IC, and I would treat them as such.

Changing to lower-wattage LED bulbs could help with the situation, or if there are only a few, they you could purchase the buckets that fit over them, which also help insulate. A lot of the recessed light I have says IC rated when using up to a 30w bulb, but I'm running 8w LED bulbs instead. If I let them run an hour, and then pull the bulb, the bulb may be warm but there's never any heat on the can itself.

They also have flat, replacement type LED's which help create a bit of a buffer between the head of the light, and the actual can. I am using some of these and have checked for heat and there is very little. LED is the way to go these days

But if really concerned...there are these too but a tad pricey

Old 11-03-2018, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,752 times
Does anyone know where I can buy ONE Canister such as Roman45 posted above? Model number E178858? I have 4 of them with 1 near that is another brand. want to replace so they are all the same. Is 'Commerical Electric' the manufacturer and I guess Home Depot is a no? please help.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:18 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
I suggest, as an immediate action, to replace the traditional bulbs "Max 75W Type Par30/R30" with LED versions.
This is only 11 watts - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/202919/PLT-11039.html
That is an 85% reduction in the amount of heat going up into the insulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House