Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:22 PM

993 posts, read 769,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

There are window manufacturers that can replicate period windows yet have the most up to date energy efficiency. And there are other companies that can take your existing windows and just replace the glazing with IG glazing units- you maintain the original window with more energy efficiency.
I will ask about the possibility of just replacing the glass in the existing windows. Thanks for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 09:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,273,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
I guess I've been living under a rock when it comes to housing updates and maintenance. Here's the story:

We moved into a new home about a year ago. It is a 1950s all brick custom built rancher situated on top of the ridge of a small mountain in Maryland. The wind does whip over this mountain and storm windows are a necessity.

The house was meticulously maintained over the years but the home has old aluminum storm windows that are beginning to disintegrate and there are no screens on these storm windows. The original windows are in perfect condition. Almost like new. We are only the third owners of this house and no children have ever lived here. Guess that's why. Ha!

So yesterday I called around to a few window/glass stores about replacement storm windows and was surprised when all but one store told me they don't sell storm windows, only replacement windows.

What? When did this happen? I don't want to replace all my windows that were specially made for this home. Yes, I understand they might not be as efficient as new windows but architecturally they fit the home. And I figured new storm windows would help with the efficiency aspect.

I heard the same story from three stores. Then I called a glass shop and was told they could special order storm windows for me. They are coming out to give me an estimate next week.

What am I missing here? Should I consider new windows? That seems so wasteful and I know I won't like the look as much as the original windows. Am I getting the straight story about storm windows?
We bought storm windows online at a very reasonable cost which are working great. We ordered them and they were delivered to our local Menards. My husband installed them.

We ordered the ones with screens, so that you install them and then they are on sliders so that there is not taking down seasonally.

I thought that they were reasonably priced, especially considering we could use our existing windows and install these on the outside without any retro fitting needed.

I would suggest that you look online.
https://www.larsondoors.com/find-a-p...ategory=Window

Old 03-02-2017, 10:11 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,588,633 times
Triple track storm/screen windows are the way to go. The window companies want to sell you windows at $500 or more a piece, which is why they tell you that storm windows aren't an option. Keep the original look of your house and add storms.

There's no huge benefit to reglazing your existing windows, and the cost would probably be prohibitive.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,228,986 times
As a person who has replacement windows let me say if you can buy Storm Windows get them the extra air space between the windows would be great insulation.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:01 AM

17,484 posts, read 66,245,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Triple track storm/screen windows are the way to go. The window companies want to sell you windows at $500 or more a piece, which is why they tell you that storm windows aren't an option. Keep the original look of your house and add storms.

There's no huge benefit to reglazing your existing windows, and the cost would probably be prohibitive.
Triple-tracks are like a boil-
This is a custom built home with very specific windows. Why would you go muck it up with some monstrosity like triple-tracks.

Reglazing may be "expensive" (everything is relative), but if retaining the "look"/appeal of the home is tantamount then I think the expense is well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House