Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,782,054 times

Advertisements

I am trying to replace some ugly cabinets in my kitchen, I have been to home depot and lowes, but I think there has to be a website or a retailer that does it much cheaper? Help please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 02:45 PM

857 posts, read 4,880,373 times
Depending on where you live you might find a local outlet center that sells either just cabinets or all builder materials. You have to figure out just how much work you want to do. For instance, if you don't want to replace the flooring and countertop you MUST keep exactly the same footprint as your current cabinets. Draw a layout of what you have now and take it with you when you go shopping. If you go to an outlet and they don't have the exact same sizes as what you have now you can switch some things around as long as the overall dimensions stay the same. For instance, if you have a 42" long cabinet and they don't have that in stock you could use two 21" or an 18" and a 24", etc., etc. You get the idea.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:40 PM

563 posts, read 3,744,591 times
Ikea? A mid modern but can be reasonably priced

Old 01-22-2008, 06:12 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,396,090 times
For the lines of cabs that HD and Lowes carry, it's unlikely that you'll find a lower price. They buy in larger volumes than even some distributors, so they get very good pricing. Now, if you're looking for a line they don't carry, you'll have to buy from a local rep for that line. Unless you're looking for something really unusual or high end though, you should be able to find something suitable at HD or Lowes- just don't plan on them getting the design or measurements right (you can only expect so much when their "kitchen designers" are making $10/hour.....lol).

Old 01-22-2008, 06:33 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,879 times
I second Ikea.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM

10 posts, read 94,866 times
if you live in winston-salem...you really can't beat Lowes....we have redone several kitchens, including in our own home on many different budget levels....the Lowes on university has this guy, "Anthony in kitchen cabinets" (we have called him so often) who really knows his stuff ... he also knows much beyond Lowes...but this is not the forum to discuss. if your in the area, he's GREAT.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 AM

563 posts, read 3,744,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I am trying to replace some ugly cabinets in my kitchen, I have been to home depot and lowes, but I think there has to be a website or a retailer that does it much cheaper? Help please
Is the main issue here the price? If so you've got two choices,
Paint your cabinets. there's a bunch of info on here about how to do it - liquid sand strips the finish then you paint over. Thats a quick fix.
If you just want new cabinets for cheap hop over to your closest ikea. they have a cheap line of cabinets that may be your style. You can have a look at it on Ikea.com.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:51 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,739,648 times
Default It sounds like you want the World for the lowest price

Everybody wants the super deal. Very, very low price, best selection, super quality and made exactly to specs. Not the way the World generally works.

The best deals I have seen are some of the surplus building materials places. Occassionally they have complete finished cabinets. Sometimes cabinets as various parts, sometimes cabinets that have complete construction but no final finish. Those are about the best bargains you will find. The downside is you must be able to accept the sizes in stock. They may not have enough if you want a large selection.

It is more a matter of luck and need. They don't have them all the time and they tend to sell out quick if it is a super good deal. Everybody loves a bargain.

The stuff from HD and Lowes is over priced trash in my book. Getting the super deal requires a lot of looking and leg work, plus it pays to get lucky.

One way to get the best bargain is find used cabinets and refinish them. Again all depends on how much work and effort you are willing to put out. Wish I could have been wimp wristed got $1000 cabinet for $10 and done no work. I wound up refinishing my old ones and calling it square. Recycling old stuff can sometimes be the best bargain around and they already fit. It is amazing what you can do with old cabinets.

Just remember if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. The final fancy pixs give no hint of the sweat and manhours it might require. Lot will depend on your location. If there is workworking shops in your area with a good lumber supply local that helps in getting good custom built deals.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,675,048 times
You did not say where you live. First line of business is DO NOT BUY FROM LOWES OR HOME DEPOT. Unless of course you dont mind paying list price. No one pays list anymore do they? You would not pay sticker/list price on your new car so why pay list price for cabinets? Which is exactly what you do when you buy cabinets from Lowes or HD or any other big box store. Sears charges 25% over list. Imagine that? 25% over MSRP !!!!!!

Most larger cities have wholesale cabinet stores. Back in New Jersey, Conklin Lumber sold their cabinet lines for 50% off list as their standard day in and day out price. 60% off when they have a sale. That 50% off list still gave the store a 20% markup and additional rebates back to them from the manufacturer for <30day/net or volume incentives. Yes there is a huge markup on cabinetry.

I know, I been designing, selling, installing and manufacturing cabinets for more then 30 years. My store sells to the public for 50% off list and 55% off to contractors. I am not alone. I wish I was.

Next step is to stay away from those IKEA corrugated cardboard boxes that you assemble yourself at home. They call them "knockdowns" because you buy a box full of parts and spend days assembling them. They are not only ugly but if you ever decide to sell your house........well lets just say as a rule buyers will shun those obviously cheap cheesy things. And for the average Joe, assembly of a cabinet is not an easy task. The directions are poor. In addition, America or shall we say "the west" still has not grasped the concept of Euro style or frameless cabinetry. I hate it because it is ugly but Europens hate our framed cabinetry too.

Many of you might remember Mills Pride brand cabinets sold by Home Depot. They were American made "knockdown cabinets" and might even be lessor quality then IKEA but guess what happened to Mills Pride? What does that tell you? They had 2 things against them: The average Joe could not figure out how to assemble them, and, that Euro look was ugly and not accepted by America, "the west".

In the end if you are really really really stuck then you must have a buddy or a buddy who has a buddy in the contracting business. Give him a hundred dollar bill to place the order for you. You do all the work making the materials list and delivery and all he does is use his name or contractors license to place the order for you. You get the 50% off. It's a win win.

First search out wholesale cabinets in your area.

DO NOT PAY LIST PRICE !!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to you.......

Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,960,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Everybody wants the super deal. Very, very low price, best selection, super quality and made exactly to specs. Not the way the World generally works.

The best deals I have seen are some of the surplus building materials places. Occassionally they have complete finished cabinets. Sometimes cabinets as various parts, sometimes cabinets that have complete construction but no final finish. Those are about the best bargains you will find. The downside is you must be able to accept the sizes in stock. They may not have enough if you want a large selection.

It is more a matter of luck and need. They don't have them all the time and they tend to sell out quick if it is a super good deal. Everybody loves a bargain.

The stuff from HD and Lowes is over priced trash in my book. Getting the super deal requires a lot of looking and leg work, plus it pays to get lucky.

One way to get the best bargain is find used cabinets and refinish them. Again all depends on how much work and effort you are willing to put out. Wish I could have been wimp wristed got $1000 cabinet for $10 and done no work. I wound up refinishing my old ones and calling it square. Recycling old stuff can sometimes be the best bargain around and they already fit. It is amazing what you can do with old cabinets.

Just remember if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. The final fancy pixs give no hint of the sweat and manhours it might require. Lot will depend on your location. If there is workworking shops in your area with a good lumber supply local that helps in getting good custom built deals.

I agree. We bought our new kitchen from a home show - it was the display. We were walking past it and I told my husband that would be perfect for our house...the sales guy said I can sell it to you. So we began talking. We got the solid wood cabinets with the decorative shelving, corian counter with the sink attached, diswasher, stove, microwave over the stove, appliance garage - etc for 8K. If we had put that kitchen together ourselves it would have easily cost 18k!

I suggest taking your time to find the right deal for you if price is an issue like it was for us. Lots of home shows coming up soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House