Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:59 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,332,790 times

Advertisements

You may not need new wood floors. A lot of old floors can be sanded and refinished. If you need to do any patching you can take boards from inside your closets and replace them with new.

This goes for woodwork too. If you need to replace or repair any you can steal it from inside your closets. Inside door frames and base boards will be in mint condition..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,930,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Call your insurance agent and ask them what companies they recommend when people need to have work done. They usually have a list of "preferred" companies they use and even though your not making an insurance claim they should be more than happy to give you a few names that their clients have used and been satisfied with.
Never would have thought of that. Good idea.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
You may not need new wood floors. A lot of old floors can be sanded and refinished. If you need to do any patching you can take boards from inside your closets and replace them with new.

This goes for woodwork too. If you need to replace or repair any you can steal it from inside your closets. Inside door frames and base boards will be in mint condition..
That's a good one too. I'll pass it on to the hubby. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:25 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,153,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Where's the best place to start looking for somebody who does this? My husband wants to remove the carpeting and restore, replace if necessary, the hardwood floors. He is a wood snob and Pergo is not even a consideration. May as well be a four letter word in our home. LOL. The house is a 100+ year old colonial and we are looking to have the floors done in the foyer, front living room and dining room (sorry-don't know the square footage. Good size rooms, but not huge). He's entertaining the pre-stained wood floors, but I don't even know where to start looking to find a place that does actual hardwood floors anymore. And he wants to put a parquay (sp?) inlay in as well?? What types of wood should we look at? We have a large dog and a 2 year old with additional children on the way.
Pergo + period house = EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Go with real wood; you won't be sorry.

Look at other homes in the area from the same period, particularly ones that still have the original flooring, and get something like what they have.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Pergo + period house = EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Go with real wood; you won't be sorry.

Look at other homes in the area from the same period, particularly ones that still have the original flooring, and get something like what they have.
Yeah I know. LOL. It's not that I wanted them-it just amuses me how you can almost see the twitch my husband develops when people even mention the "P" word. LOL. We looked at another house in the area that had the same wood columns in the foyer, but the owner had painted them. Husband almost had a stroke.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,153,165 times
Quote:
Yeah I know. LOL. It's not that I wanted them-it just amuses me how you can almost see the twitch my husband develops when people even mention the "P" word. LOL. We looked at another house in the area that had the same wood columns in the foyer, but the owner had painted them. Husband almost had a stroke.
LOL; I wouldn't go quite that far, but Pergo and other laminates have no place in a period property. They're not welcome in any house I own either. I've even seen laminates that look like ceramic tile. Blech!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,869,195 times
If you have a home Depot - Expo they have some outstanding choices. you might also check out Bella Wood.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
If you have a home Depot - Expo they have some outstanding choices. you might also check out Bella Wood.
He was interested in the Bella wood. My Dr. Phil analysis of him with this floor is he has a deep seeded desire to be an actual carpenter. LOL. He's an engineer who works as a project manager for a construction management company, but deep down he wants to be one of the guys who actually does the work and thinks he could be a carpenter. LOL. He's very capable and quite handy (built a helluva deck for friends of ours), but I think he wants to do the floor from scratch so to speak to be able to say that he did it. MEN!!! LOL.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:50 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,332,790 times
Quote:
I dont blame him. I hate laminates. And Im not a fan of painted wood.

JMO I would refinish my old floor no matter what it looked like. Ive done some of mine. Still working on it. I dont like the "new" look. Some Ive sanded some not. I try to keep as much of the old patina as I can. Personally I like my floors character marks. I think they give it personality. Also you dont always have to sand. Sometimes all it needs is a good cleaning. I know furniture refinishing tricks that will work on floors too if youre interested.

Every stick of wood in my house is painted. Not by me tho. I would never paint wood. The only painted wood I like is early 1800's painted cupboards. .

I like character in my woodwork too. I have some mouse holes in the woodwork. The one in the guest bath is my fav. I love it when peeps mistake my stuffed mouse for a real one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House