Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:47 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times

Advertisements

We are considering getting a soap stone wood stove, my husband is really sold on them, since they would also run, if you electricity is out, where as a pellet stove won't. Some people we have talked to swear by pellet stoves, others by wood stoves.... so I am looking for some more opinions before we make our final decision. We want to use this as our main source of heat, with a forced air oil furnace as a back up. TYIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
San

54 posts, read 430,530 times
I have had no experience with pellet stoves myself although I had a friend who had a corn stove. He was very happy with it, except as you say, when the electricity was out there was no heat. We used a wood stove for years as our main source of heat with a gas furness as a back up. We lived in a very wooded area and had all the wood we wanted. I will say this. The wood stoves are reliable heat and are also good when the power goes out. However you want to make sure you have a good chimney that draws well. Otherwise you are going to have smoke accidents when you are trying to get the thing going on low pressure days. Also, you want to be sure to spray your wood when you bring it in the house because it can harbor insects. There is also a bit of carrying ashes and hauling in wood and that sort of thing. Also, you should have wood stacked up ahead of time so it can cure and season well so that it burns efficiently. If you burn wood, you will either have to go out and chainsaw and split your own or have it delivered or buy it from someone who sells firewood. There are pros and cons to both heat sources. I will say those soap stone stoves and really terrific heaters, though. They make a home nice and cozy. I don't know if this is of anyhelp but I'm just speaking from my own experience with them.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM

thanks for your post! I've left you some positive rep :-)

Old 01-01-2008, 05:40 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
Some of the appeal of one of the other would come from how ready a source of wood you have and at what priice.

I heat my house (1500 sq ft) almost entirely with a woodstove and pay nothing because I happen to have access to a farm property which provides enough deadfalls and trimming to easily meet my 4 cord/winter demand.

If I had to buy wood, it would run me about $1000 to have it cut, split and delivered. That would still be much cheaper than running our electric baseboard heat as a primary heat source.

I also like the fact that when the power goes out, the woodstove keeps on pumping out the BTUs.

Regardless of stove type, have it installed by a qualified person to all the relevant code levels, and be sure to clean your chimney and pipes on a frequent basis to eleiminate any risk of chimney fire.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Some of the appeal of one of the other would come from how ready a source of wood you have and at what priice.

I heat my house (1500 sq ft) almost entirely with a woodstove and pay nothing because I happen to have access to a farm property which provides enough deadfalls and trimming to easily meet my 4 cord/winter demand.

If I had to buy wood, it would run me about $1000 to have it cut, split and delivered. That would still be much cheaper than running our electric baseboard heat as a primary heat source.

I also like the fact that when the power goes out, the woodstove keeps on pumping out the BTUs.

Regardless of stove type, have it installed by a qualified person to all the relevant code levels, and be sure to clean your chimney and pipes on a frequent basis to eleiminate any risk of chimney fire.
We would have to buy the wood for this winter, but with the price of heating oil, we figure it would still be a LOT cheaper. We can get 1 1/2 cords of wood for $230, so under $500 for 3 cords, not too bad. Filling up our oil tank just once is now over $700!!!! Is your home well insulated? We just bought this house and plan on getting new windows by next year winter and also have insulation blown into the walls, which should all help. We will get the stove professionally installed and I can't wait to be warm finally, instead of being cold constantly to save heating oil.... brrrrrrrrrrrrr
Thanks for your input!!!

Last edited by katzenfreund; 01-01-2008 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: add something

Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,076,014 times
Careful about wood for "THIS" winter. Hardwood for a wood stove should be split and seasoned for 12 months and dry!
I'm cutting and splitting on the next 2 or 3 winters now....
I love heating with a wood stove even though it's a little messy.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
Our house is an approximately 150-year-old, post and beam structure that has been renovated on the interior. I didn't do the reno, so I can't say for sure what the insulation values are like, but if they're in line with some of the other things done to the house, you can bet the place isn't over-insulated.

Most people don't realize how much heat even a small fire in a woodstove gives off. Folks also tend to forget that a woodstove gives off heat continuously; it doesn't cycle on and off like a furnace.

As the previous poster mentioned, seasoned wood is important. "Wet" or "green" wood will leave increased creosote deposits in your chimney which will require more frequent cleanings. You also don't get nearly the heat value out of wet wood, so be careful to buy wood from a reputable source so you can be fairly certain it's been seasoned.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:58 AM

Thank you both - yes, the wood is seasoned, hopefully it is ok to burn it right away. If not, there are also "bio-bricks" available, have you ever used them? They are like pellets but in brick form, so you can use them in a woodstove. I had never heard of them, until we saw them in the store a couple of weeks ago.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:02 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,385,135 times
Ah, one of my favorite house subjects. I deliver heating oil and charge people about $600 per month. I use a pellet stove and average that cost annually. My oil heat is now merely back-up. My oil tank was filled last year for $2.19, now I deliver oil for $3.19. I've had wood, which is a mess and you can't turn it off, must have glass screen to keep the heat in after you go to bed and fire dies down, otherwise heat goes up the chimney. Pellets are on thermostat, and if power outages are problem, you could invest in the cheapest generator for the 110w need of your pellet stove. All of your options cost at least $2000, so you're right in asking around.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:46 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,273,142 times
The bf put new windows into his house last year and saved 30% on his heating. He has a pellet stove and a ventless gass fireplace at the other end of the house which is considerable warmer than the stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House