Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:04 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times

Advertisements

OK got a hard one (for me anyhow) The toilet in my master bate won't flush without plunging. The line IS NOT PLUGGED!!!!!!! I snaked clear to the street I just had the toilet off the base and can see nothing wrong. Can there be a internal malfunction???????
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 02:08 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Does the water seem to flow into the bowl with the same force that it once did?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Did this come on gradually - or just quit flushing all of a sudden?

Is this upstairs or downstairs toilet?

If it is upstairs toilet, is the downstairs toilet still flushing alright?

Could your pipe/vent be clogged (on top of your house?)

Is your tub draining okay?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:40 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Did this come on gradually - or just quit flushing all of a sudden?

Is this upstairs or downstairs toilet?

If it is upstairs toilet, is the downstairs toilet still flushing alright?

Could your pipe/vent be clogged (on top of your house?)

Is your tub draining okay?
Gradual got worse
main floor toilet
Tub/sink drains fine
basment toilet works aok

I'll check the vent thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 07:47 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Might want to dismount the toilet again and feel around inside the trapway of the toilet.

I've seen some strange things get jammed in there and cause clogs: pencils, pens, toilet paper roll cores, and a measuring cup.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Default crazy suggestion, but . . .

it worked for me one time, LOL.

We have a 20 y/o house . . . and the upstairs toilet would never flush correctly. Sometimes it would just not go down; sometimes it would run over. I was at my wit's end. I had gone through 5 plumbers and they could come in and tinker and mess w/ various things in the tank, replace stuff, etc. but no one fixed the problem entirely.

Then one guy came - and he showed me all the holes around the rim of the toilet bowl. He said they were getting stopped up. He cleaned them all out and told me to make sure they didn't get clogged. Calcium and lime had built up in the holes over time. The toilet has worked fine since then.

In another instance, the toilet kept slowing down until it just would not flush. I could tell that no air was bubbling up but didn't know how to solve it. After calling several plumbers none of which would check my vent/stack (as it involves climbing on top of the roof!) I got a roofer to go up and check the stack out. Sure enuff - leaves and debris had clogged it up. Cleaned that out - no problems.

Good luck. Both my situations took a long time to figure out. Hope you get your situation under control quickly!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:40 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
My wife used to use those little blue 'cookies', or whatever you call them, that turn the water blue. Well, apparently the little pieces clogged up the holes in my toilet. I think the problem was very similar.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:16 AM

1 posts, read 61,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
it worked for me one time, LOL.

We have a 20 y/o house . . . and the upstairs toilet would never flush correctly. Sometimes it would just not go down; sometimes it would run over. I was at my wit's end. I had gone through 5 plumbers and they could come in and tinker and mess w/ various things in the tank, replace stuff, etc. but no one fixed the problem entirely.

Then one guy came - and he showed me all the holes around the rim of the toilet bowl. He said they were getting stopped up. He cleaned them all out and told me to make sure they didn't get clogged. Calcium and lime had built up in the holes over time. The toilet has worked fine since then.

In another instance, the toilet kept slowing down until it just would not flush. I could tell that no air was bubbling up but didn't know how to solve it. After calling several plumbers none of which would check my vent/stack (as it involves climbing on top of the roof!) I got a roofer to go up and check the stack out. Sure enuff - leaves and debris had clogged it up. Cleaned that out - no problems.

Good luck. Both my situations took a long time to figure out. Hope you get your situation under control quickly!
I seem to be having the same problem - the toilet was plugged, but got a snake and it ran all the way through, but now it is not "pushing" the water down as it flushes. Our house is about 30 years old and two of our toilets are on the third floor. Do you know where I might be able to find the vent/stack you mentioned?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:00 AM

235 posts, read 1,577,917 times
As mentioned make sure all the holes along the rim are clear. Also most bowls have a jet hole to help push waste though the trap make sure that is clear. I have seen those almost closed down with calcium and lime buildup. You will need a small screwdriver to chip away at that. If you have flappers in the tank that have a red, yellow, blue adjusting plastic clip on the chain, I have seen those break off and get flushed into the bowl. It will act as a flapper-closing the jet hole when you flush, a pair of needle nose pliers will get that out.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
The vent stack is the pipe that goes through the roof. It will usually be about 3"in diameter for the main vent. There may be more than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House