Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 AM

134 posts, read 287,300 times

Advertisements

We are considering renovating a condo we just purchased. The place has great bones but it looks dated. It's about 1800 Sq Ft, 3 BR, 2.5 Bath. It has carpet everywhere and everything is from the 90's. So we're planning to do a big renovation.

Do you think $80K would be enough to do the following:

* New modern railings all over
* All new hardwood floors everywhere (carpeted now, 1500 sq ft)
* Full cabinet renovation in kitchen
* New cabinets/bath/shower/wall tiles of 2 bathrooms
* New cabinets in powder room
* New facelift on living room and bedroom fireplaces
* Recessed lighting in 5 or 6 rooms
* Replace all interior doors with new white glass panel doors
* Repaint entire interior

Kitchen
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Bedroom

Bathroom 1

Bathroom 2

Powder room

Last edited by Yac; 04-16-2014 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,922 times
Check your HOA manual regarding hardwoods vs carpet. Some insist on carpeting except for wet areas.

$80K wouldn't be enough in my market.

Where are you located?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:04 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,939 times
Estimated Remodeling and Repair Costs

Estimated Remodeling and Repair Costs | Old House Web

Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Without some specific on what you want, really hard to say. A facelift can mean lots of different things to lots of different people.

Take one small item for example, bathroom hardware. The prices for a faucet can range from under $100 to over $1000, you have to qualify that. Same goes for all the other stuff. Glass doors can easily go for $1000 a pop depending on quality, glass thickness and so on. Then, how many doors other than opening into rooms? Are there space divider panes?

Hopefully, you'll be well versed in material costs before hiring someone to do the work (unless you plan on doing it yourself in which case 80k can go a long way).

Full cabinet renovation? Cleaning and rejuvenating or replacing just the faces or all the exposed woodwork? What kind of material? Wood (kind), metal, composite, glass? All those things vary greatly in terms of cost not only in comparison to one another but also within material type.

Recommendation: Take that list you have and under each flesh out the wants and needs. Then you can have a materials cost in a close ballpark. After that is it labor and you can have a better chance in evaluating bids or if you do it yourself, moving money around to places where you want it most.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM

134 posts, read 287,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Check your HOA manual regarding hardwoods vs carpet. Some insist on carpeting except for wet areas.

$80K wouldn't be enough in my market.

Where are you located?
What do you think would be a good budget?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:16 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
As a rule every project will always cost more than anticipated!

Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
As a rule every project will always cost more than anticipated!
Right - get quotes and then add 20 percent.

Personally, the first place I would cut costs if I had to would be to keep the cabinets and either paint them or leave them as they are, and add hardware, especially in the bathrooms where you are most likely to leave the same configuration. Also, if you wanted to cut costs, the bathroom floor tiles are just neutral.

If you completely reconfigure your kitchen, you'll probably want new cabinets and wow, that's expensive. So if you leave the same footprint, you could update counter tops, update the sink and fixtures, the hardware and appliances and leave the cabinets as they are (cleaned and shined up of course).

You can count on a minimum of $8000 for the bathrooms if you totally gut them. Each. The kitchen - probably around $25,000 if you use the same cabinets and modest appliances but you can easily go up from there.

We added hardwood floors to our master bedroom - real hardwood floors - in a 17 x 20 foot space plus a large walk in closet, for under $3000 last year. My parents just recarpeted two bedrooms in a pretty high grade carpet (one master, pretty large, and a med size minor bedroom) for about $3000.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
First, is sinking 80k into the place going to be worth it in the long run? Do you plan on living there forever? Did you get this condo way below market value where the 80k renovations are going to put you at the rest of area or put you above the market? If you're above, its going to be a loss if you ever want to move.

Second, I actually see a lot of opportunity with what you have. Styles differ of course but I like the tile in the kitchen. Depending on the look you are going for, you could just add hardware to the cabinets (they look to be pretty nice) that will add a lot more impact than you might think. OR you could paint the cabinets or possibly re-stain them. Replacing the counters and sink will give it a big facelift.

I understand wanting hardwood. Definitely check with your HOA as another person mentioned. A family member of mine bought a condo that has a lot of stairs with carpet. It was on her to do list after moving in to make these steps hardwood, only to find out the HOA wouldn't allow it. They said it would create too much noise.

The bathrooms look pretty decent. I think painting the cabinets or replacing the counters with maybe granite and new faucets will really bring new life to the bathrooms. You mentioned replacing all the interior doors with glass panel. Sounds like you are seeking to make the place more modern?

What is your style?

So where I would sink the money?
Doing those things I mentioned above with the kitchen and bath.
Hardwood floors (if you can)
Replace the patio door with something more attractive
Reface the fireplaces
Bank the rest.

Thats my two cents.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:15 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,400,755 times
My only suggestion, if you're going to do all of those renovations, is to break it up by room so you're not hiring one contractor to do everything (unless you know the perfect contractor who has done great work for you before). If you hire a contractor who really stinks, you could be sunk. Do one room at a time and see how it goes.

Of course, if you do some of the work yourself you can lower your renovation costs--provided you wouldn't need to call in someone to fix what you did.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:04 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,091 times
We are in the home stretch of doing very similar at a very similar price
BUT my son is acting as a general contractor (jack of all trades) and has a lot of friends/connections to talented guys looking for extra work. Mostly $100 a day.
I am basically the Proj Man... design, sourcing, working with engineers/suppliers where we knocked out a load bearing wall.

Basically, I've micromanaged this with my son. Every decision from walls, to flooring, to how the LAMs go up, to the electrical placement (huge amount of thought)... I've been a part of and decided on.
And we found many great deals on labor utilizing a pool of friends.
And I think we will be at $70,000.

We are not in a fancy high-end area... probably similar size to your house.
So here's a sampling of our costs

We've had many people come through... inspectors, cable installers, HVAC people...
General consensus is they think we are spending closer to $100,000

Not saying yours will be, but i tend to think a non family contractor is going to have more profit, and cushion for mistakes. We have a general idea of the big ticket items and then its been a day-by-day decision type of thing. Example, we wanted to extend the existing hardwood into the kitchen and make it seemless (after removing a wall) and just decided to replace it al. $4000 bam

the rough "easy to gauge" materials alone are are $50,000.
I have to add it all up. We made a ridiculous amount of trips to Home Depot. Things you just can't account for.

Kitchen
Kraftmaid cabs (Home depot). $8000
Counters. granite $2500
Appliances $5000 (fridges in general are ridiculous. Stove in island required slide-in $2500!)
Range Hood $600

Flooring
Flooring for main level. 575 sq ft
Bellawood Hickory. $3500. + nailer. Steps
Refinishing upper level. $1000 (guessing as it starts today)
Note: We are using a Bellawood Hickory w/ 100 yr warranty. Its middle of the road pricing and over $5 a sq ft. Your floors will be $8000 just for the material. Not including extensive labor!

Carpet lower level $3000 (estimate. picking out this weekend)

Lighting - recessed in expanded family room, kitchen, and a large variety of one-offs (ceiling fans, motion lights, under cabinet, outside lights. Bathroom showers, etc) Seems high but was a considerable amount of work
Labor $3500
Materials $2000
Recessed LED lights are the way to go... and RIDICULOUSLY expensive! that 2000 may be low.
$6000 really got us lighting in Kitchen (6 recessed), family room (10), Bathrooms (4) and about 10 one-off things such as ceiling fans, run cable tv, outside lights.

Two bathrooms (well one has small standup shower).
MUCH smaller than yours. and we are really 1.5
Leaving everything in same location and refreshing. tile floors and surrounds
A lot of this is rough guess as we did this first and I lost track!
I think we did both bathrooms for $5000 total, and I think a GC could be 8k each.
tile $2000?
Vanities $800
faucets $800
glass door $500
Labor $1500

Family room expansion knocking out load bearing walls (prob doesnt apply to you)
Two LAM beams and columns. $1000
12 ft slider $2500
Design and engineering $1500
Labor.. lots

Dumpster costs... $700?

Labor for drywall and finishing (we got an amazing deal). $400
(remember that all those new recessed lights means holes ALL OVER to feed wires.)

Paint $1000
(a pro painter would prob be 3-5000k?)

THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS in daily trips to home dept
- new drywall. cement board
-

just random thoughts

Dont forget...

then ya need all the stuff to fill the place!
Furniture, TVs.. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House