Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 PM

79 posts, read 418,451 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about putting foam insulation into our exsiting home (built in 1928, so there is currently no insulation at all). Does anyone know anything about how this compares to regular blown in insulation. The insulation guy says its better...but it is his product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 10:27 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
It is typically better....but harder to install.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Icynene foam insulation does have a higher R-value than fiberglass, cellulose, or cotton. It also has sealing characteristics (it will close off any air infiltration spots) making a house air-tight and reducing the chances of an electrical fire within the walls. Other advantages- no moisture absorbsion, no "settling", and no loss of fire retartency, as with cellulose and cotton. But, in your particular case because of the age of the home- you probably won't need an air exchanger. The only thing that I could caution you on is this- When foam insulation is installed in a "retro-fit" application, there maybe obstructions within the wall that can sometimes be missed by the installer- creating voids in the insulation envelope. Other than that- it does cost quite abit more than f/glass.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:34 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Although I haven't spoken to my insulation contractor to verify (the question hasn't come about)- I'm sure the cost of the Icynene has gone up here lately due to the ever increasing purchase price of petroleum (Icynene is petro-based).
Which got me to thinking- there is a new form of foam insulation on the market that is made from bio-content polyol. Being new may not mean cheaper but, if petroleum prices keep reaching for the $100.00 market- it might be in the near future. Check link below for more info.

BioBased Spray Foam Insulation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House