Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 03:04 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times

Advertisements

1. Quartz countertop and not granite. Any color you want and won't look too busy.
2. New frameless cabinets will have more storage space. Also, you get soft closers for almost nothing.
3. Redesign the fridge space so that it does not protrude into the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 03:06 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,084,733 times
It's hard to tell with the lighting, but it may be possible to make the existing cabinets 'fit' with a gray countertop just by replacing the hardware with something more modern. I see plenty of $500K+ houses where people fitted quartz or granite countertops over much worse 1950's cabinets (the kind that look like plywood with knobs attached).

Old 02-14-2014, 03:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Quartz countertop and not granite. Any color you want and won't look too busy.
2. New frameless cabinets will have more storage space. Also, you get soft closers for almost nothing.
3. Redesign the fridge space so that it does not protrude into the kitchen.
The refrigerator does look imposing and overwhelms the space.

I started noticing this when depths increased so larger boxes could fit existing space.

One thing I have done is create a pocket in the wall behind the refrigerator to pick up 3.5" more in depth... it takes a little doing and is more time than materials... does help to scale things visually.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:01 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,765,756 times
what color are the cabinets? It's really hard to tell. They might look fine with new countertops (I agree with Davebarnes, not quartz would be better then granite) a new backsplash and new pulls.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:05 PM

81 posts, read 159,994 times
I am not very good with colors but let me try. I suppose the color would be closest to the picture below (from the net of course). Verly light brown? I don't know.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM

As I wonder aloud, I wonder if we could find or get matching cabinet doors and just replace the existing ones? I am sure that is not cheap either but perhaps more manageable. Of course, matching exactly may be impossible.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,765,756 times
The color is not bad. It's actually a lot better then I was thinking. I think you could get away with keeping the existing cabinets and just replacing the counters, the pulls and the backsplash. Also, I know you said that you don't like laminate countertops but some of them look pretty nice. You could save a lot of money by going with laminate. I would go with a light to medium grey. Splurge on tile and pulls for the backsplash. And maybe a cabinet depth fridge.

Last edited by MissTerri; 02-14-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 04:50 PM

Thank you again. In terms of laminate, I would guess that I do not really know what laminate is anymore. So sure, I will take a look.

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:51 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,001,154 times
No, I don't think it's a lot of cabinets at all.

One cabinet I really don't like is that broom/pantry cabinet. I'd prefer to have counter to the side of the oven. So I'd turn that into one wall and one base and additional counter. The tall oven cabinet looks like it is not once piece? And I'd nix that cabinet over the refrigerator.

Of note, I normally prefer the refrigerator at the end of a cabinet run. It's less obtrusive that way. But right now we're not talking moving electrical, etc. I don't care for counter depth refrigerators......they are crazy expensive and since they are wider per cu/ft... they eat into your cabinet space.

Stay away from big box stores......far, far away.

I don't have any other issues with the cabinets except hardware. It is VERY dated. You'd be surprised how much better it would look with new. It's an easy fix.

Now the counter.........I would definitely replace it. However, you need to keep several things in mind.

1. The cooktop......would you keep it with the new cabinets? I'm thinking probably not. Would the existing cutout in the replacement counter work for a new cooktop?

2. Ditto the sink.

Counter gone......new counter......what about the backsplash???

Goes without saying you'll replace the hood.

Are we having fun yet?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:37 PM

No, no fun yet. But thanks a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House