Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:19 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times

Advertisements

Pop the cover off ( most have a swing out faceplate) inside you'll find a black round screened chamber. That chamber is usually removable. What hapoens is over time the chamber simply collects dust that's floating around. The detector adjusts for that until it goes out of the parameters and it sees the dust as enough of a obstruction to consider it a fire.
Remove chamber and use a fine brush to clean the dust. Then spray some compressed air from a can to blow the rest out. Reinstall.

If it's not serviceable get a new one. Dust will eventually get in the chamber. Doesn't matter if you had. Construction work done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,677,434 times
If there's any suspicion that they're 15 years old, I wouldn't bother mucking around, just replace them. Better to only have to mess around with the things once. When I bought my house, it was 20 years old. It had a couple hardwired detectors. I suspected they were original to the house, so I replaced them. It probably took me longer than 6 months to get around to that but I do feel better this way.

BTW there's not a chance it's a combination smoke and carbon monoxide detector is it? You might want to confirm, perhaps with an separate CO detector (you do have one of these in the home right? With anything gas you certainly should), that this is not the problem. Some CO detectors have a readout that will display smaller levels than will set off the alarm; that would be helpful info to know if there is some level of CO in your house that could be read by one of these. Maybe it is spiking at some point here and there enough to set off an alarm?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 AM

335 posts, read 620,700 times
Have you dusted near one of them recently? Not the smoke detector itself - something nearby? In one house whenever I replaced the air filter that was located nearby, any dust that may have been on the grate or the filter would inevitably set off the smoke alarm later that day or night.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 AM

200 posts, read 619,214 times
Just blow them out, dust settles on the photo sensor and acts like smoke, should be done once a year.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,375,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
The fire men did say spiders can set them off ?
Yep. We had detectors go off in the middle of the day one day. These are the kind that are wired together so when one triggers they all start beeping. A moment later they all stopped. I did a full house inspection and saw nothing wrong. I pinpointed the one that was alerting (the only one whose red light was flashing) and started removing it from the ceiling when a small spider jumped on to my hand, ran down my arm, and leaped off in to parts unknown. Scared the u-know-what out of me. But we haven't had any alarms since.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:05 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,140,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Yep. We had detectors go off in the middle of the day one day. These are the kind that are wired together so when one triggers they all start beeping. A moment later they all stopped. I did a full house inspection and saw nothing wrong. I pinpointed the one that was alerting (the only one whose red light was flashing) and started removing it from the ceiling when a small spider jumped on to my hand, ran down my arm, and leaped off in to parts unknown. Scared the u-know-what out of me. But we haven't had any alarms since.
Hahaha. That made me laugh!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:30 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,851,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Oh I think I'd rather the alarms go off than feel a spider on me

Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,973,581 times
Detectors have a life span. It's been mandated for awhile that at the end of their life they will chirp every minute or so. You can't defeat it nor would you want too. We just had to replace all 7 in our house. The new ones have a 10 year life, the old ones 7. Like people have said, check the dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House