Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 PM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not the high humidity can also set them off. Our are battery and hard wired so when one chirps all seven of them chirp at once in a rolling pattern. Ear piercing to say the least. I called the company and asked them and they told me I needed to lower the a/c!!!! It worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,355,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
I suppose 15 years old, that's how old my condo is, I've only been in it 6 months.
If that is the case, then they definitely should be replaced. Note that if the smoke detectors are hardwired, be sure all of your new smoke detectors are of the same brand. Recommended brands include Kidde/FireX and BRK/First Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
Wouldn't even know where to start looking for that, I imagine there around 15 years old I see nothing written maybe it's on the sides that's hard to get to .
The date code is typically located on the back of the detector (yes, you will have to remove them from the ceiling or wall).

Old 02-12-2014, 01:47 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,092,611 times
Take it down.

Remove the batteries.

Dust of as much of the internals as you can.

Let it sit for a day or so to 'calm down'.

Replace.

For some reason they can get 'confused' and start to 'chirp'--dust, tiny amounts of radiation or stray voltage, who knows? I had one that would get spasmodic about once a year. Disconnecting it from the power and pulling the battery and letting it sit for 24 hours generally solved the problem.

In the end I replaced it because I was sick of dealing with it.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:44 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,851,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Take it down.

Remove the batteries.

Dust of as much of the internals as you can.

Let it sit for a day or so to 'calm down'.

Replace.

For some reason they can get 'confused' and start to 'chirp'--dust, tiny amounts of radiation or stray voltage, who knows? I had one that would get spasmodic about once a year. Disconnecting it from the power and pulling the battery and letting it sit for 24 hours generally solved the problem.

In the end I replaced it because I was sick of dealing with it.
Let THEM calm down I'm the one that'll have to calm down looking at those 10 foot ceilings . Kidding

Thank you, good idea, I'll wait till my son comes around to do it, I do have a little giant ladder, even the tall fire man could only just reach with it. I do have an electrician coming next week to do another job, maybe I'll pick his brain too.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Believe it or not the high humidity can also set them off. Our are battery and hard wired so when one chirps all seven of them chirp at once in a rolling pattern. Ear piercing to say the least. I called the company and asked them and they told me I needed to lower the a/c!!!! It worked.
By chirping you mean the long shrilling noise , not just beeps, yes mines all hard wired too, I usually keep my AC on 70 , the more I think about it I'm sure it's the dust from the ceiling fans, in a way I hope so, well I think I hope so

Old 02-12-2014, 04:38 PM

4,626 posts, read 12,305,175 times
They chirp when the batteries used for backup start going bad. Replace battery and problem solved.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:07 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,140,485 times
Is it possible a light may be making them go off? I have smoke detectors that have a "light" tester. I only have to shine a flashlight on them to test them. One is mounted on a 25 foot high ceiling and will go off when I aim the flashlight at it.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
They chirp when the batteries used for backup start going bad. Replace battery and problem solved.
Low batteries are not the problem, I wish that's all it was

Old 02-13-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Is it possible a light may be making them go off? I have smoke detectors that have a "light" tester. I only have to shine a flashlight on them to test them. One is mounted on a 25 foot high ceiling and will go off when I aim the flashlight at it.
No it was in the middle if the night they went off

Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,914,840 times
I have 11 foot ceilings too and man, what a pain. I couldn't even PAY someone to come change the batteries when they were chirping for three days.

Meanwhile I finally got ONE electrician to managed to find the time for his $80.00.

I would look to an electrician since you already replaced them. OR call a specialty PROFESSIONAL company who does that type of thing. Smoke alarms in commercial buildings, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House