Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 08:19 PM

270 posts, read 833,579 times

Advertisements

Just now we found out that the toilet in our basement has been leaking water from the inlet junction (the connecting place between this incoming water pipe and the water tank). The water has dampened part of the carpet.

Anyway, now I've shut the valve and flushed the tank empty. I believe no water can leak out now. But what might be the possible reason for the leak? I tried to tighten that white plastic nut-like thing (it was loosen somehow), but whenever there is incoming water, I can feel water coming out from that place. Would it be some seal for that conjunction? What type of tool should I use to loosen that up and replace stuff?

As for the wet carpet, what should I do to prevent mold? I've put two fans there blowing air, and also I used blanket, paper towel to absorb water beforehand.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
You can get a replacement seal for the flush valve. Disconnect the waterline, remove flush valve, replace rubber seal, reinstall- done!

Main thing to check for- hairline crack at the hole of the tank. If so, you'll need to replace the tank.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 PM

This is the bottom of my water tank, with the incoming water pipe and that white plastic thingy (what's the name for that part?)

This shows the corresponding position inside the tank with the black O ring and the incoming water line.

So which might be the bad part and how do I check? Thanks a lot

Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You can get a replacement seal for the flush valve. Disconnect the waterline, remove flush valve, replace rubber seal, reinstall- done!

Main thing to check for- hairline crack at the hole of the tank. If so, you'll need to replace the tank.
Can you point out where the seal is? And how do I remove the flush valve? need to take the water tank out? Any special tools needed? And as a matter of fact, it doesn't look like the water is coming from the flush valve, at least what i felt is from the water inlet which is on the left side of the water tank.

edit: That's the fill valve I just googled it. So I could feel the water is leaking from the junction to the fill valve in the tank where the white nut was.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Niubee43V3R; 02-04-2014 at 08:53 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 02:02 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,211,073 times
The most ordinary leak would be at the white nut.
Undo it, put new pipe tape around the threads and tighten it back up again.
It may solve the problem...especially since you said it was loose

Old 02-05-2014, 06:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Flush the tank a few times and check for condensation on the tank. We have well water and the water is cold enough to cause a lot of condensation on the tank. Wasn't so much of problem this time of the year but a huge problem in the summer. We ended up having to put a mixing valve on the line to warm the water up a little, it's still only 60 or 65 degrees when it goes into the tank but no more condensation issues.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
Buy a complete repair kit at your local home store. It will contain all the parts you need (including the gasket, which is likely your problem) along with drawings showing how it is all put together and instructions.

> put new pipe tape around the threads and tighten it back up again.

The seal is formed at a gasket not at the threads. People mis-use teflon tape all the time. Putting it on non-sealing threads will make things worse not better.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Sounds like all it needs is some ptfe tape on the threads or new o-ring. Otherwise the toilet line and fill valve are both under $10 each. Replace them both and problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House