Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 34,985 times

Advertisements

I want to put another bathroom in my basement there are pipes for one bathroom but I will need to cut up the cement for the other. Someone told me that there are toilets that flush down the wall. Does anyone know what type of toilets they are and a good one to buy. also what about the shower do I just elevate it a foot or so the water runs to the main drain coming from upstairs.

Thanks

Rocky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,503,953 times
I am not sure I have enough facts about your existing plumbing to really address this, but cutting up the basement floor is a messy but not difficult job. You can dig a pit around the main floor drain and a channel to a shower 15 feet away in an afternoon. Basement floor concrete is supposed to be 4" on grade but almost never is. So a concrete saw goes through it like butter. A couple of whacks with a sledge and you are picking up pieces and tossing them in the wheelbarrow. digo ut the dirt, test your slope and you are good to go. Someone else here can tell you what the code requires for a waste line slope.

Put in a clean out plug along the way.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,406,597 times
There are toilets that have small holding tanks and effluent pumps that pump the water up to an overhead line that carries it over to the nearest waste stack, where it then goes down into the sewere piping. SaniFlo is one of the most well-known manufacturers, and they offer a kit that can handle not just the toilet, but also an adjacent shower and sink. The toilet and pump system is approximately $850-1,000, and you'll also need to have a raised shower base so the drain outlet can be run above the floor level over to the pump (usually along the back wall, where it can be concealed.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
There are also incinerator toilets that burn up the crap that you flush. I have never seen one, but i am told that they work very well. May not be allowed in some communities.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks for your help I will look into it but at 800 to 1000 for the toilet maybe I should go ahead and cut the cement and plumb over to the main sewer drain.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 PM

17,481 posts, read 66,152,846 times
All-in-all your best choice is to cut the floor and install a wasteline with branches for the shower and sink (if needed).
Using pumps, pump toilets, raised floors, etc. is just asking for trouble. Not to mention the additional initial cost and then the yearly maintenance. Versus a few hundred dollars of rough plumbing, concrete, and forget about it.
Is this something you're planning to do yourself, or hire it out?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,503,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by climberman View Post
Thanks for your help I will look into it but at 800 to 1000 for the toilet maybe I should go ahead and cut the cement and plumb over to the main sewer drain.

No one seems to know what it is in CO but I would say it is at least 1/4" per foot. So if it is DYI and no inspection, I would plan for 1/2" per foot if you have room. that is only a 6" drop over 12 feet. I assume it is 3" PVC. Don't forget proper venting.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:08 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,556,700 times
We remodeled our basement bathroom last year and found that breaking out concrete is not that difficult. You can rent an electric jackhammer or concrete saw for a 1/2 day and be done with it. Plumbing work took longer. Sealing up the trenches we created was quick too. My one recommendation is that you make the trenches longer than what you think you'll need. We needed about 6" more cleared so we could cut and join into the existing line better. Not worth renting again. Had to break it out with a chisel and sledge hammer.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 PM

Great advice really appreciate it, talked to the wife and we are going to cut the cement. I was thinking before I heard about a different type of toilet I would rent a saw and a jack hammer because there should be re-barb in the cement to cut.

One more question that I have now is how do you lower the pipe 1/2" for ever foot, is the main line deeper in the ground then I think because I am thinking that it is just below the cement. And if it is then I would have to run the pvc level with the ground.

Thanks again

Rocky

Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
If the sewer line is not deep enough to allow the requried fall in the pipe, you will have to put in a pit and a pump. This is a little extra work,, but not overwhelming.

If you need a pump, do not try cost cutting on purchsaing your pump. Get a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House