Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 AM

906 posts, read 1,766,159 times

Advertisements

We are looking to add ventilation to our kitchen which currently has an island electric radiant cooktop. We will be replacing it with a gas cooktop and a separate downdraft ventilation system (we cannot install a hood for technical reasons, namely joist direction and a number of obstacles to routing a duct in the ceiling).

I was looking at a number of different brands that allow a remote blower option (i.e. something similar to this: 600 CFM Remote Blower VTR630D). We don't have enough ground clearance for where the planned exhaust duct exits the house (only about foot off the ground) to install a remote blower with the exit vents down.

Does anyone know if remote blowers can be installed in other orientations (such as to the side)? Our other option is an in-line blower, but that would add a lot of noise to our basement family room.

Last edited by aus1ander; 01-14-2014 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 AM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Hire someone to do this.
Put the burden on them.
450 cfm should be "good enough".
Not a fan (pun intended) of downdraft with gas as they move the flame. Had one (Jenn Air) for 24 years. But, we had no choice.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:57 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Broan's remote blower is approx 14" from the centerline of the duct to the bottom of the fixture. So, as long as you have 6-8" below that you should be good. If anything, just lower the grade a little (making sure it falls AWAY from the house).

Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Hire someone to do this.
Put the burden on them.
450 cfm should be "good enough".
Not a fan (pun intended) of downdraft with gas as they move the flame. Had one (Jenn Air) for 24 years. But, we had no choice.
Thanks, yeah we have a contractor doing the work. We ended up deciding on going with an in-line blower. Now we're just trying to figure out what brand, as we have very tight space requirements (we have a wall mounted oven below the cooktop and only 4 inches of space in the cabinet behind it) which requires a unit with the flexibility of a bottom vent (there's more space once you get under the oven bay).

So far, I've only found models from Dacor that do this. Anyone aware of other brands that can accomodate this?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 AM

592 posts, read 1,477,947 times
We are remodeling our kitchen... moving the stove to an island.
Want to maintain that open look as the island has seating opposite the stove, and looks to the open dining area.

Which brings us to the downdraft range systems.

I came here to start a new thread, and I guess I basically have the information i need just reading the existing threads at City-Data

But wanted to add.. in our current home we have a hood that just filters and vents back into the room (under microwave), and even then... we rarely turn it on. Just don't think of it, and we don't really have a problem of smoke/food smells filling up the room.

Is there something I am missing? I see the many negatives of downdraft systems and recognize the concerns... but now I think will probably rarely turn the darn thing on anyway?

If you have anything to add... would love to hear it!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
You can read it all for yourself-

The ICC; to include the International Mechanical Code and the IRC (International Residential Code). chapters (M1503 and R303). Pay careful attention to the differences between natural and mechanical ventilation, adjoining areas, and makeup air.

I have heard so many different interpretations of these sections- because of misunderstanding- even I begin to question the "intent" of these codes.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:05 AM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default You really should

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
Install a downdraft.
450 CFM.
You will appreciate it.
It will be a necessity when selling the house.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 PM

592 posts, read 1,477,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Install a downdraft.
450 CFM.
You will appreciate it.
It will be a necessity when selling the house.

thanks

We'll definitely have something... still deciding on hood or downdraft!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 AM

Update from me, we ended up buying a Miele downdraft hood. Its only 2.5 inches deep and is able to fit behind our wall oven (which sits below our cooktop). Its in the process of being installed, so once the in-line blower is hooked up I'll know more on how well it works.

The main unit is installed and it looks awesome. It has 14 inches of rise and hides away when not in use. A island ceiling hood would have wrecked the openness of our kitchen, I'm glad our contractor suggested a downdraft hood.

The advise on make-up air is very timely. Our city limits hood blowers (that are installed with an HVAC permit) to 300 CFM without specific testing for backdrafting. Otherwise, you're forced to return any CFM above 300 through a make-up air system, which is quite costly in my area since it needs to be heated.

The standard in-line blower for the hood we bought is an insane 1000 CFM with 10 inch duct work! I'm hoping the smaller blower will work decently well.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
We are remodeling our kitchen... moving the stove to an island.
Want to maintain that open look as the island has seating opposite the stove, and looks to the open dining area.

Which brings us to the downdraft range systems.

I came here to start a new thread, and I guess I basically have the information i need just reading the existing threads at City-Data

But wanted to add.. in our current home we have a hood that just filters and vents back into the room (under microwave), and even then... we rarely turn it on. Just don't think of it, and we don't really have a problem of smoke/food smells filling up the room.

Is there something I am missing? I see the many negatives of downdraft systems and recognize the concerns... but now I think will probably rarely turn the darn thing on anyway?

Most of the negative press about downdrafts are the cooktops and rangetops that have a downdraft ventilation system integrated in the cooktop surface. The newer telescopic models (the ones that rise out of your countertop 14-15 inches above your cooktop) are supposedly much better. Once I have mine working, I'll be able to give you some first hand experience (albeit with an anemic blower, but it is what it is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House