Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When viewed from outside, how are your garage door opener sensors oriented?
Sending on right, receiving on left 1 25.00%
Sending on left, receiving on right 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 06:56 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

When we lived in Virginia, we had a Genie garage door opener installed in 1998. I remember that the sending eye was on the right and the receiving eye was on the left. The same is true with our current LiftMaster garage door opener at our current house. At first, I thought this was standard installation practice, however, I have noticed at a friend's house that their garage has the sensors in the reverse orientation.

So, for curiosity, I decided to do a poll to see which orientation is more popular. For those who don't know which is which, I will explain. On Chamberlain (including LiftMaster and Craftsman) units, the sending eye has an amber LED and the receiving eye has a green LED, while on Genie and Overhead Door units, the sending eye has a green LED and the receiving eye has a red LED. If the sensors are penetrated, the LED on the receiving eye should turn off.

I assume for Genie/Overhead it is pretty standard convention to put the sending eye (green) on the right and the receiving eye (red) on the left due to these being the traditional starboard and port colors, respectively. For Chamberlain there may not be a standard convention due to the colors being different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 07:03 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
I have two Chamberlain doors side by side, and they are installed with the green on the inside and the amber on the outside, -- that is, the right door has the green on the left and the left door has the green on the right. Since it doesn't make any difference which way you put them, I doubt there's any standard.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
I have a Chamberlain opener. The green (receiver) is on the right and the amber (sending) is on the left. If I break the beam, the green LED goes out, just as outlined in the original post.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I have two Chamberlain doors side by side, and they are installed with the green on the inside and the amber on the outside, -- that is, the right door has the green on the left and the left door has the green on the right. Since it doesn't make any difference which way you put them, I doubt there's any standard.
I'm guessing with Genie, most people follow the port and starboard convention due to the LEDs being red and green. Since Genie is a DIY brand, this makes sense.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:32 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
It does not matter. Most people I know have no idea what "port" or "starboard" are, let alone lighting conventions (they are lucky to have read their state's driver's manual for operation of their car!)

If there is any pattern to which unit is installed on which side and it is a DIY thing, then I should think it would be due to the installation instructions saying to do it that way.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:41 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
I have two doors, one doesn't have any sensors and on the other one, I have the sensors mounted above the door about an inch apart, those things are a pain in the --- !

Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
It does not matter. Most people I know have no idea what "port" or "starboard" are, let alone lighting conventions (they are lucky to have read their state's driver's manual for operation of their car!)
Maybe people with boats will follow that pattern and the rest of us will just place them at random :-)

Old 12-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Maybe people with boats will follow that pattern and the rest of us will just place them at random :-)
Don't forget about aircraft as well, which follow the same convention.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:55 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
They are set up depending on which way the sun hits them.....

Old 12-26-2013, 07:10 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
They are set up depending on which way the sun hits them.....
That's how I understand it as well. If the sun shines in your door onto one of the sensors, IIRC, you want to have the transmitter side in the sun. The sun can kind of mess up or confuse the receiver side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House