Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM

1,703 posts, read 2,598,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I've adjusted this on my own with success but BEWARE: if you increase the pressure too much you run the risk of finding the weak link in your supply lines. My neighbor adjusted his too high and either broke or exposed a weak coupling on his water heater. Ended up with water all over his garage before he noticed it.
Water heaters have a pressure/temperature safety valve. If the safety on your heater starts "burping" water, the water pressure regulator may require adjustment or replacement.

Shop WaterMaster 200-lb. Pressure Gauge at Lowes.com
A gauge of this type may be attached to an outside hose connection or an indoor clothes washing machine connection. You might expect 40-50 psi. A higher reading indicates regulator trouble.

How do you know which is needed, adjustment or replacement? Try adjusting for a lower pressure. If the pressure remains excessive, you need replacement.

Water pressure regulators may be rebuilt, but in my experience the rebuild kit is (1) difficult to obtain, and (2) so costly that you might as well replace the regulator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 10:54 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,089,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Located in morrisville. It's a home on slab. I don't think there is any filtration for the whole house. The seller said the kitchen faucet is a low flow/water saving 1.8GPM faucet and considered it normal.

I think best I can do is get a plumber to look to ensure there is nothing major to avoid surprises later?

A plumber is a good bet, but with low flow faucets and a potentially clogged aerator you *might* have a faucet issue.
The plumbing lines under the sink connecting to the faucet - are they the threaded hose type or copper compression lines?
If the threaded hose type water line - the homeowner could test fairly easily. Turn off the water at the valves under the sink. Disconnect the water supply lines under the sink at the faucet end. Loop them into the sink if possible or a large bucket. Now turn on the water at the undersink valve and an additional downstairs location. See if you still get the pressure drop. This will isolate the faucet/aerator from the core plumbing lines.

We had a similar situation due to sediment in the line during a water heater swap.

Frank

Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 PM

663 posts, read 1,622,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
A plumber is a good bet, but with low flow faucets and a potentially clogged aerator you *might* have a faucet issue.
The plumbing lines under the sink connecting to the faucet - are they the threaded hose type or copper compression lines?
If the threaded hose type water line - the homeowner could test fairly easily. Turn off the water at the valves under the sink. Disconnect the water supply lines under the sink at the faucet end. Loop them into the sink if possible or a large bucket. Now turn on the water at the undersink valve and an additional downstairs location. See if you still get the pressure drop. This will isolate the faucet/aerator from the core plumbing lines.

We had a similar situation due to sediment in the line during a water heater swap.

Frank
The hoses are threaded type. Seller said the faucet was cleaned & decalcified. Beyond that he says some drop in flow is expected when higher GPM faucets upstairs is operated. (and the fact that the kitchen faucet is last branch of the main line etc.. )

Anyways, if I do get a plumber, what exactly should I expect from him? Just a visual and a opinion? (The home isn't mine yet, so all I expect is diagnosis). One plumber I called & spoke jumped to the conclusion that it's the pressure regular valve

Old 12-04-2013, 08:20 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,650,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Located in morrisville. It's a home on slab. I don't think there is any filtration for the whole house. The seller said the kitchen faucet is a low flow/water saving 1.8GPM faucet and considered it normal.

I think best I can do is get a plumber to look to ensure there is nothing major to avoid surprises later?
See if you can unscrew whatever is at the tip of the faucet. Could be a little screen blocked with gunk. Run the water then and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
View detailed profiles of: