Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times

Advertisements

So I think I need a new water heater ... the water at my house (I've lived here for a year and a half now) has never been super-hot but it's been fine for my purposes. Lately, though, I've noticed it's gone from hot to warm when I wash dishes (I rarely use the dishwasher ... I actually find washing dishes relaxing ). I think the current water heater is very old so it's probably time to just replace.

I looked into tankless water heaters at my old house, but no local plumber would let me buy my own and have them install it, and their mark-up on the purchase price of the heater itself (e.g. a Rinnai) was 100% or more. Needless to say that annoyed me to no end (I don't mind paying big bucks for their expertise in installation, but I DO mind paying $1,500 for something I can buy new online with the same warranty for $750).

I am actually thinking of just having a replacement tank-style unit installed at my current house. I live by myself for now (my SO may move in at some point, but that is likely a couple of years away) but do have frequent houseguests. The house has 3 full bathrooms but it's rare that 2 or more people are using them at the same time, so I've never had a problem with running out of hot (or now warm!) water.

For those of you who have replaced a water heater recently: did you go with a tankless or regular? What was the approximate cost? How happy/unhappy are you with your new unit?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,149,303 times
We put in a tankless Rinnai (natural gas) over two years ago. Best decision ever!! I have two teenagers and a home with three full bathrooms, and there are times when we are all in the shower. We never run out of hot water - it's wonderful! And my electric bill went down more than my gas bill went up, which is a bonus!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
I am quite surprised that the plumbers will not just do an install for you . I have done many such jobs, and like it when customers bought their own units. That's just plumb silly of them! Will you have the same issue with replacing your storage type with a like unit?

Anyway, the Rinnai is my top pick in on demand W/H units. It's a good piece of gear. None better IMHO. I find it extremely odd that you can't find a competent plumber willing to install a quality unit that you provide. Installing a water heater, especially a gas fired one, does take some know how, but to insist you buy the unit from them is just off the hook. Keep looking. I was always happy to install custome provided appliances, provided they were the right ones for the job.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
Check out the GE geospring, it is a heat pump water heater and will cut your electric bill (the water heater portion) by 2/3'rds. Also some utility companies offer rebates for installing systems like this or solar water heaters. and both offer tax credits. It can be the cheapest alternative to go green....

Example Here in Orlando

Water heater cost - $1000
OUC credit - $650
Tax Credit $300

Cost - $50

Utility expense - $151/ yr vs $400-$500

Old 11-21-2013, 05:57 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Thanks for the replies! My responses below ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
We put in a tankless Rinnai (natural gas) over two years ago. Best decision ever!! I have two teenagers and a home with three full bathrooms, and there are times when we are all in the shower. We never run out of hot water - it's wonderful! And my electric bill went down more than my gas bill went up, which is a bonus!!!
I will do some more research ... was trying to save some money, especially because the NH rebates for tankless water heaters ($500) are "good through 12/31/13 or until the money runs out" -- and the money has run out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I am quite surprised that the plumbers will not just do an install for you . I have done many such jobs, and like it when customers bought their own units. That's just plumb silly of them! Will you have the same issue with replacing your storage type with a like unit?

Anyway, the Rinnai is my top pick in on demand W/H units. It's a good piece of gear. None better IMHO. I find it extremely odd that you can't find a competent plumber willing to install a quality unit that you provide. Installing a water heater, especially a gas fired one, does take some know how, but to insist you buy the unit from them is just off the hook. Keep looking. I was always happy to install custome provided appliances, provided they were the right ones for the job.
Yeah, I checked with a bunch of plumbers a couple of years ago when I was still living at the other house. My mistake may have been telling them I was about to buy one instead of saying "I've bought this unit, can you install it?" I was afraid of buying it first and then not being able to find anyone to install it.

My usual plumber probably would have done it EXCEPT he doesn't have a gas license (everything is propane around here -- no natural gas in my part of the state ).

I will try again ... good to hear about the Rinnai since that was what I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Check out the GE geospring, it is a heat pump water heater and will cut your electric bill (the water heater portion) by 2/3'rds. Also some utility companies offer rebates for installing systems like this or solar water heaters. and both offer tax credits. It can be the cheapest alternative to go green....

Example Here in Orlando

OUC credit - $650
Tax Credit $300

Cost - $50

Alas, heat pumps don't work well where I live. A colleague of mine put in a system a few years ago -- it cost something like $20,000 to put in and was a nightmare from day 1, then the company went out of business. It was horrible.

Thanks again for the replies -- I'll rep you all! Anyone else want to chime in?

Old 11-21-2013, 06:15 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
I've replaced water heaters but only when they catastrophically fail (leak). Perhaps you have a bad or misadjusted thermostat or a very long run with no insulation.

I just replace with a mid-range waterheater when necessary, then good for another ten years.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:16 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

Example Here in Orlando

OUC credit - $650
Tax Credit $300

Cost - $50

I have no gas service here, and have been looking at the Geospring for some time. My power company doesn't offer any rebates though, but I still think it will pay for itself.

For the OP, the heat-pump hybrid water heaters are not like a heat pumps that heat your house (and do not work well in a very cold climate). The outdoor temperature has no real effect on these, as they are installed indoors just like any other electric tank water heater. But, in your case - if you have gas service then a tankless is the only way to go.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:30 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
As a landlord, I just replace every 6 years. I buy a cheap one at the big box stores or even a new one on craigslist and I have a handyman change them out. The whole deal is a $400 repair. Then I sell the working WH on craigslist for $75.

I know this is for your personal home and you have concerns with efficiency, quality of the tank, etc. so my logic may be different than yours.....but I just see it as a scheduled repair and treat my own home the same way.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
So I think I need a new water heater
How old is the one you have now? Brand? Size.
For most (including you)... replacing it EXACTLY will be the best course of action.
---

Odds are it's about 15yrs old which is typical.
(some really do get 30 years but few get more than 20; bad water still gets most 10 years)

Odds are it's a recognized major brand or private label store model.
Absent 20 other variables..

Size is the tougher one which is also impacted by pipe layout.
In my house the longest run from heater to faucet is 15 feet (sweeet!)

Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
I was gonna go with a tankless but my plumber talked me out of it. Most require a larger size gas line and a lot of the. Do not like to work with a HE washer. Something about the way a HE washer adds water. I had a regular tank WH in my house for 20 years. It was in since I bought the house so I don't know how old it is. My plumber said you change the WH when it breaks.

Turn up the temp a bit see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then switch to a new same type heater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House