Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:08 PM

350 posts, read 4,159,596 times

Advertisements

My hot water has been lukewarm all week, and slow to even get to lukewarm temperature. It runs cold for about 40 seconds first before getting to lukewarm. My hot water heater was completely replaced not even a year ago, due to the old one springing a leak. What could be causing this, and what can I do about it? My hot water heater is located on the first floor of my house, not the basement, so it should be pretty warm around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Gas or electric?

Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,240 times
I'd call your warranty people & ask if it can be checked out for free.

Maybe it needs to be "re-set" - pilot? Or maybe someone nudged it into the "vacation" or "low temp" mode?

Old 12-08-2009, 02:38 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Just because you replaced it less than a year ago doesn't mean it can't break. Could be any number of things but I'd start with a faulty thermostat.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:41 PM

If gas, thermocouples can go out and they are very easy and cheap (like $10) to replace yourself.

How To Replace A Water Heater Thermocouple | Heating & Cooling | Reader's Digest (http://www.rd.com/how-to-replace-a-water-heater-thermocouple/article19531.html - broken link)

I had this happen to me. Good thing the internet is around to look these problems up. I'll bet a lot of people just go out and buy a new HWH, rather than replacing a $10 part in ten minutes DIY.

If electric, thermostats are easy to replace and they're about $10-$15 each (may have an upper and a lower). Be careful and turn the 220V OFF first.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,538,684 times
One really has to know weather it is a gas or an electric one....or even oil.

Look at it. If it has a 3" diameter silver flue pipe it is gas or oil, (unless it is a high efficiency type with a powered vent)

If it has no flue, it is electric.

If electric, I'm guessing one of the two elements have gone. This is an inexpensive fix. other rare possibilities is a thrown breaker, bad thermostat, etc. If it came from Lowes, it could be a bad computer "energy saver" thing which is costly and a real pain. That's why i'd never buy one from there.

If gas, perhaps someone turned it down, or the pilot is blown out, or a bad thermocouple. No big deal.

Report back, so folks can help further.

Frank

Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 AM

Now I have an electric water heater (I hate it, wish it was gas). Here's what appears to be happening, though it could be complete coincidence. It seems whenever we have a lightning storm/event, our hot water heater conks out and the water comes out warm and not hot. Eventually it comes back. I don't think the thermostats have CMOS and would be extremely sensitive to surges (not that our house is getting struck). I've searched the internet and visited several home repair forums and I've never read a correlation between lightning and faulting electric hot water heaters.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:00 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,530 times
If a water heater isn't broke after 17 years..would you replace it for a more efficient unit? Wondering if my parents should and it is in an upstairs closet in their home. Just wondering as I don't want a call from them with a similar problem of no hot water!

Old 12-09-2009, 01:29 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,538,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
If a water heater isn't broke after 17 years..would you replace it for a more efficient unit? Wondering if my parents should and it is in an upstairs closet in their home. Just wondering as I don't want a call from them with a similar problem of no hot water!
Water heaters are funny. Dependent on the quality of the heater and the water, I've seen some water heaters last over 20 years, and I've seen some last only 2-3.

You did not say weather the one in question is electric or gas. If gas, there could be significant sediment on the bottom that would insulate the heat from getting the water hot as quickly, thus wasting gas. This could cost you a lot in time.

Water heaters have an anode in them, which is supposed to keep the tank from rusting. Once the anode is gone, the tank could start degrading. If it is upstairs, then a water leak could do a HUGE amount of damage below. It is one thing if they start leaking in a basement or garage, but it is a whole different story if they cause thousands of dollars damage to a home's interior.

The newer tanks are more efficient, glass lined, MUCH better insulated, etc. If it were me, I'd replace it...you could be asking for trouble if you wait. If it does start leaking and causes damage, you'd be kicking yourself. I think after 17 years, you got your monies worth out of it. The new one will be cheaper to run, and will save you money.

I had a 15 year old tank in my place in Florida. It was in the garage. I just replaced it this year, thinking that because I'm only there a few times a year, I'd replace it myself on MY time and MY labor, making sure it was done right, instead of having to pay for someone else to do it while I was 1300 miles away.

Frank

Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 103,188 times
I have similar problem, but it just began today. The hot water has low pressure, and does not get very hot. Starts out with good pressure, then within seconds begins to slow down. Not sure WHAT this is! Can anyone help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House