Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 08:20 PM

133 posts, read 494,120 times

Advertisements

I looked at a house built in 1958 and noticed numerous skinny (less than 1/8 inch in diamater, most probably closer to 1/16th or 1/32) cracks in the house. These cracks were long cracks, up to several feet, and were on the ceilings and corners of walls.

I will get the house inspected of course if I want to purhase it, but how serious do these cracks sound? I did not see any external cracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 09:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNC View Post
I looked at a house built in 1958 and noticed numerous skinny (less than 1/8 inch in diamater, most probably closer to 1/16th or 1/32) cracks in the house. These cracks were long cracks, up to several feet, and were on the ceilings and corners of walls.

I will get the house inspected of course if I want to purhase it, but how serious do these cracks sound? I did not see any external cracks.
Sounds like settling. I have a house from the late 40's and I have some small cracks in the plaster on the ceilings - the beams have settled a bit and pushed on the plaster ceiling. They are barely cracks though, just hairline.

It doesn't sound like anything to worry about. No exterior cracking issues, so it sounds like settling to me.

Last edited by riveree; 11-17-2007 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: You already said not exterior cracks...I'll delete my Q about that.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,852 times
get a structural engineer out to check out the house, the house should have been finished settling about 47 years ago. There might be a little shifting from time to time. I would defiantly get a structural engineer out to double check to make sure things are stable.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Though most issues will be covered by an inspector- heres a few things to look for/consider- Is the house on a crawl space? moisture problem, termite problem.
If the house has hardwood floors- see if a marble/ ball bearing will roll across the floor without assistance (overspand joist, settled/missing piers). If your inspection shows nothing out of the ordinary, it could be an eviromental problem- too much/too little relative humidity- causing severe expansion and contraction. If nothing still screams- here's your problem- then, as Noahma said- get a P.E. to evaluate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House