Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 PM

18,481 posts, read 31,678,189 times

Advertisements

In my co-op my bathroom has ceramic tiles, they are mostly hairline cracks through most of them. It is an old building, and obviously settling causes this. the tile themselves are ugly.

I bought particle board and used two way tape to secure it to the floor, right over the ceramic tile, then bought wood flooring strips, and stained them to match the rest of the apartment floors and glued it onto the particle board.

My bathroon is small, 5 x 8, if that, I laid the strips in a diagonal pattern to give the small bathroom a bigger look. It has been down now for over 20 years, no problems and has held up well.

When I deceide to change I can just rip it up. Since the bathroom was so small, I wasn't going to rip up the ceramic tiles, and scrape the sub floor, which is probably ply wood, with all the mess, it was easier to do what I did.

Now the floor though is even with the saddle across the door threshold, so fortunetely there is no lip to trip. just the side where the hallways is, which there always was, because of the marble saddle that I still kept.

I have a regular size window which is always open, so moisture was not a concern.

A little scatter rug next to the toilet and call it a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House