Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 04:30 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,610,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
Another tip: put your garbage in the garbage can rather that down your drain.
Actually, it depends on your location. If your area has a landfill space problem, putting it down the drain is better. If you ate all the food you bring into your house, that's where the part you don't turn into energy goes.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 PM

17,749 posts, read 18,026,335 times
Not saying you're doing this, but for garbage disposals you should always turn on the water and hen the disposal BEFORE putting food in the drain. You should also use ice cubes or disposal tablets to help keep disposal clean and blades sharp. Never put grease nor dry rice or beans in disposal.

As for plumber, did you call them during normal hours? They may charge a base rate just for coming out and add to the cost if work is done. You can add drain clearing enzymes to help keep lines clean. Have you considered compost? Compost food and stop using disposal.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:29 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,261,768 times
Not sure as never had it done. But I know plumber charge a call out fee for going there and it can depend on miles with some and same arte as doing anything else. Then some charge a minimum of one hour for any service.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 PM

44,753 posts, read 62,117,125 times
Ours, who an independent licensed plumbing contractor working alone, charges a basic $65.00 to come out and fix something plus parts.
Fixing a backed up sink is pretty much a no brainer DIY project. Just undo the P pipe connection and voila', unplugged.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:34 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,650,292 times
An independent guy would size you up, make a guess and charge whatever he thinks you can swallow (but not less than already hefty minimal fee). That's why if you look vulnerable, unassertive or "nice" get ready to pay premium just for that.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:15 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,410,163 times
What day of the week was it and what was the time of day (or night)? Those things effect the price of someone coming to your house for any service. The first time I ever had a clog, I bought my own snake (about $25 for a manual one) and fixed it myself.

I second the tip offered earlier about potato peels. One of the worst things to put down a disposal. I read that's the cause of most emergency calls to plumbers over Thanksgiving weekend.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:54 AM

450 posts, read 805,578 times
The reason he ran the cable thru the drain is that there could have been something downstream slowing the flow that could have caused the clog in the trap. The plumber doesn't come to your job and tell you how deep to dig so don't second-guess his work.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:57 AM

107 posts, read 182,477 times
Plumbers and electricians are very well paid.

I wish we didn't have this notion that everyone has to go to college and become a lawyer or accountant. Many can make a good living at things like this (and it's hard to outsource this work overseas).

Old 09-21-2013, 07:52 AM

216 posts, read 477,653 times
Couple things.

1 The garbage disposal is nothing more than a blender motor.

2 99% of the time just unscrewing the p trap, the curved pipe under the drain, fixes it.
All you need is a pair of channel lock pliers or even your own hands and a bucket.
Takes ten minutes max.

If it doesn't fix it you can buy a snake at Home Depot for 20$ and you'll have it next time.
No more difficult than using a toilet plunger! Ten minutes max!

These rates for plumbers are leftovers from the guilds. It takes more time( and frequently political influence in union states) to get a master plumber's license than to become a brain surgeon. A master plumber told me you only needed to know three things to take a job as a plumber. Sh** flows downhill, payday's friday, and the boss is an SOB!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 AM

400 posts, read 754,646 times
Thanks to all who made the effort to answer my question and give an opinion on the charges instead of slamming me and calling me a whiner.

This plumber is frequently used by my neighborhood and recommended for these reasons: They do good work, prices are reasonable and they do not charge a flat fee for the ride. There are frequent gatherings of neighbors with discussion of home maintenance and the costs.

I will add comments to the nice replies below and get back to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The plumber unclogged the drain that you couldn't or wouldn't do yourself and the problem is gone. What they charge is fair and reasonable if it got the job done. Did you ask what the cost was before engaging their services? How much would it cost you to do the job (time, tools, knowledge, etc.)?
Since they had been out several times before for new disposal installation two months ago which included snaking the pipes, new outfitting for relocation of washer/dryer, estimates for other things, I didn't expect the cost so didn't ask. If/when I use them again, I will ask up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
When you pay the $165, you paid for a professional service. The snake was probably wasn't even necessary but he did just in case (better than to have to come back). Now you know what could cause the clog and if you want to save money, do it yourself.

Here is a tip for you. Lots of people like to put things in garbage disposer but don't run it with water. It's going to clog your drain pipe sooner or later. In some of my rental cases, they run it with little water so the disposer is filled with stuff and eventually burn up the disposer (pasta and rice are the worse culprit).
You're right, lots of water needs to precede the foodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Another thing, my wife used to clog our disposal all the time by stuffing potato peelings or pasta down the disposal and then turning it on. After several plugs, I looked at the piping and realized the disposal outlet was at the level of the drain pipe at the wall (retro fit disposal by previous owners). Gravity wasn't being utilized by the setup. What I did was to drop the pipe at the wall 1-2" and we no longer had any plugs. I also went with a higher horsepower disposal when we replaced it later.

You might want to check your setup to see how much drop you have. If it's very little, you might want to slowly feed waste down while the disposal and water are on. I used to do that with potato peelings and never had a plug. My wife would forget.
I'm real easy on the disposal and don't put peels of veggies and fruits down it except lemon or orange peel. This clog was caused by a handful of spaghetti that I pushed down too fast. This is the first time in my several decades of using a disposal that I've had a clog. The pipes from disposal here go to a pipe that leads straight down through the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
You don't say which market you are in, but generally speaking, I think his charge was ever so slightly on the high side.

Let's give him $75 for the travel time, and $75 for an hour of his time to actually perform the work. That's $150, and you paid a slightly higher $165.

We don't know where you are, and we don't know if you are talking about having the guy come out during the evening or on a weekend. All of those could obviously affect the rate which you were charged.

High, but certainly not outrageous.
I'm in Pinellas County Florida. Plumber's office (I think they work from home) is a few blocks from me and all contractors live on this side of the bay. The call was made yesterday morning (Friday), plumber out shortly after. As noted already, they don't charge travel time and one of the reasons recommended by neighbors. Sorry I didn't give all the details including no flat fee. I was expecting it to be no more than $75 and that's why I called instead of doing it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
Many plumbers, electricians, etc. use the flat rate system these days so no matter how long it takes to fix something the price is in the book for that particular repair. Another tip: put your garbage in the garbage can rather that down your drain.
It's usually nothing more than remains on a plate, no peels, bones, coffee grounds or egg shells. In future, I won't be giving it spaghetti unless I do a few noodles at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Not saying you're doing this, but for garbage disposals you should always turn on the water and hen the disposal BEFORE putting food in the drain. You should also use ice cubes or disposal tablets to help keep disposal clean and blades sharp. Never put grease nor dry rice or beans in disposal.

As for plumber, did you call them during normal hours? They may charge a base rate just for coming out and add to the cost if work is done. You can add drain clearing enzymes to help keep lines clean. Have you considered compost? Compost food and stop using disposal.
Called plumber first thing Friday morning and they came right out. It does get ice cubes and lots of vinegar. I am careful to keep dry rice and beans away from the sink side of the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Not sure as never had it done. But I know plumber charge a call out fee for going there and it can depend on miles with some and same arte as doing anything else. Then some charge a minimum of one hour for any service.
One hour minimum is understandable. This company does not charge for the ride, all contractors nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
An independent guy would size you up, make a guess and charge whatever he thinks you can swallow (but not less than already hefty minimal fee). That's why if you look vulnerable, unassertive or "nice" get ready to pay premium just for that.
You are so right! There's plenty of scammers in this part of Florida (Pinellas County) looking to fleece seniors. That's why the neighborhood works together passing on information about companies. This really is a good plumbing company and after I heard two conflicting comments yesterday, I think that maybe this particular contractor was the cause of the charges. Before writing up the invoice, he made a call to "get charges from the office." They hadn't done that before. When I called the office expressing my opinion about the charges, the woman (wife of owner) said she had gone over the invoice with James and he had charged that much because he used his electric snake drain. That's a clue, I think, but for future work I will ask up front. We live and learn, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonpartisan1 View Post
Plumbers and electricians are very well paid.

I wish we didn't have this notion that everyone has to go to college and become a lawyer or accountant. Many can make a good living at things like this (and it's hard to outsource this work overseas).
It's comforting to know we can still hire Americans to do work. I think it is a good profession but there's always one wanting to take advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayrunner View Post
Couple things.

1 The garbage disposal is nothing more than a blender motor.

2 99% of the time just unscrewing the p trap, the curved pipe under the drain, fixes it.
All you need is a pair of channel lock pliers or even your own hands and a bucket.
Takes ten minutes max.

If it doesn't fix it you can buy a snake at Home Depot for 20$ and you'll have it next time.
No more difficult than using a toilet plunger! Ten minutes max!
Yep, I will take a few minutes to do it myself if that happens again and I'll get that cheap snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Ours, who an independent licensed plumbing contractor working alone, charges a basic $65.00 to come out and fix something plus parts.
Fixing a backed up sink is pretty much a no brainer DIY project. Just undo the P pipe connection and voila', unplugged.
Will be doing it myself in future!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
What day of the week was it and what was the time of day (or night)? Those things effect the price of someone coming to your house for any service. The first time I ever had a clog, I bought my own snake (about $25 for a manual one) and fixed it myself.

I second the tip offered earlier about potato peels. One of the worst things to put down a disposal. I read that's the cause of most emergency calls to plumbers over Thanksgiving weekend.
I'll be getting my own snake!

Last edited by Sun Dance; 09-21-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House