Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,886,868 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like to convert a single sink to a double sink vanity in my master bathroom. The plumber said the vent is 1.5" so it's not possible (code).

I can't find anything about this. I would hope he's correct, but would like a second opinion from the interwebz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
My son, who is an apprentice plumber, told me that one of our vents is not up to code. It's 1-1/2" too, but should be 2". So, I think your plumber is correct, that it would be a code violation for him to hook into it. I'm sure 1-1/2" was okay at some point in the past, but code changes. So what the plumber is really telling you is that to meet code, he'd have to replace the vent going through your roof.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Hi,

I would like to convert a single sink to a double sink vanity in my master bathroom. The plumber said the vent is 1.5" so it's not possible (code).

I can't find anything about this. I would hope he's correct, but would like a second opinion from the interwebz
This gets into a lot of sticky questions.

First of all, city codes vary (sometimes widely) from municipality to municipality.

Second, some city codes allow all manner of things to be "grandfathered in," but if you make significant changes everything has to be brought up to current code. This too varies from city to city.

Then there's the issue of licensed professional versus DIYer. Professionals can lose their licenses for doing "questionable" code repairs. For DIYers, it's a different story.

That's my really long way of saying that this isn't probably the best place to get a second opinion.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,886,868 times
thanks fellas.

They are moving the plumbing to another wall, so I can make the vanity 60" vs. 43". The wife is happy to only have one sink (less cleaning) but I figured we my as well put 2 in if we are spending all of this money. Oh well, maybe more counter space is better in the end. The plumber said it would be $500-1000 to replace the vent with a 2", going through several stories. Not worth the expense or the mess.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:44 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
thanks fellas.

They are moving the plumbing to another wall, so I can make the vanity 60" vs. 43". The wife is happy to only have one sink (less cleaning) but I figured we my as well put 2 in if we are spending all of this money. Oh well, maybe more counter space is better in the end. The plumber said it would be $500-1000 to replace the vent with a 2", going through several stories. Not worth the expense or the mess.

I say go with the double vanity and leave the vent as is.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I say go with the double vanity and leave the vent as is.

Of course, I could be wrong.
You are not wrong and I agree with you. 1.5" is acceptable now and has been since indoor plumbing has been installed. If some, not all towns/municipalities/cities decided to raise the venting a whole entire massive extensive gigantic wopping half inch then you know it's all hogwash.

You're gonna do what you feel is right and that's ok. But there is no need to spend a wad of money on something the Building Inspector will never see or give a damn about. Especially when it's not necessary.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
I'd ask yer plumber about using a wet vent.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times

...in manufactured housing, an undercounter vent for vacuum in addition to the small roof vent would be perfectly within code. There are codes, and then there are codes...

My response would be to move out of that anal area. Besides, Colorado doesn't allow you to use water freely anyway. I might put it in, not hook it up, stick a bucket under the drain hole, and tell 'em "Oh, it is a DRY sink for flowers..." and watch their faces fall.

If you are staying there, put in the single sink.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
None of this helps because no licensed plumber is goig to break code really. Not worth it to him.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
None of this helps because no licensed plumber is goig to break code really. Not worth it to him.

Call some of the "local" handyman type businsses or franchises. They will do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House