Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,933,204 times

Advertisements

If anyone's following along, I did tonight find one local Structural Engineer on the net. Absolutely no reviews listed anywhere, and this is just the beginning!

Will keep on campin'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
With a walkout and drain, you probably can get away without a sump pump. Just tie the french drain into your existing drain (probably replace it too). Ditto on the structural engineer first as you don't want to do anything until your certain you don't have a foundation problem that needs fixing. Also, the engineer may be able to give you leads on who to hire next.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
With a walkout and drain, you probably can get away without a sump pump. Just tie the french drain into your existing drain (probably replace it too). Ditto on the structural engineer first as you don't want to do anything until your certain you don't have a foundation problem that needs fixing. Also, the engineer may be able to give you leads on who to hire next.
Thanks! If I can get the basement floor to drain properly, even if it means ripping it up and repouring it, I agree that the sump pump might not be needed. Ok with me-- less expense!

Good idea on the referrals. I am having a hard time finding people as it is.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:10 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
I am having a hard time finding people as it is.
An architect would be good too.
The objective is to get info and advice from someone who is NOT selling you something.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
An architect would be good too.
The objective is to get info and advice from someone who is NOT selling you something.
Thanks for another interesting idea! What could an architect tell me about a wet basement?

Old 06-18-2013, 04:58 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
What could an architect tell me about (what is causing) a wet basement?
He could tell you how it was likely built...
observe whats changed since...
and provide a "recipe" for what to do now to remedy your issues.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
He could tell you how it was likely built...
observe whats changed since...
and provide a "recipe" for what to do now to remedy your issues.
Of course I will need more than "what is causing" a wet basement. That's why I phrased it like that.

I'll take your suggestions into consideration.

Thanks again.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Hello again! Just in case anyone is wondering what happened to my basement floor, I finally found a structural engineer who referred me to a geotechnical engineer, and that person came out and assessed my situation.

Now I have another engineer who runs an excavating business coming over here today to see which solution would be best for my water intrusion problem. Wish me luck!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
There are not a lot of structural engineers working on single houses, they work on bridges, dams, pipelines, office towers, hotels, hospitals, and the like. What you are looking for is probably a civil engineer not structural anyway.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There are not a lot of structural engineers working on single houses, they work on bridges, dams, pipelines, office towers, hotels, hospitals, and the like. What you are looking for is probably a civil engineer not structural anyway.
Hello and thanks for the input. I sure am learning a lot from this one problem.

The fellow who came today was, as I was told, an engineer who owns an excavating company.

He thought the first thing to do was to investigate whether there are drainage pipes at the outside foundation. The structure of the house means that there are three sides under the earth and one side open to the driveway, which is a walk-out or around here is called a bulkhead.

That sounded reasonable to me since it would only involve digging a small area on the back and probably front of the house (at the outside) to see if there is any piping near the base of the cement walls.

If that fails, he thinks digging a trench all the way from the surface to the bottom of the basement wall and installing proper drainage may be the way to go. We also talked about cutting the cement of the basement floor along the front and back walls and installing a drainage pipe there, but he was not very enthusiastic about that, since it might create more problems (as in giving ground water a place to well up) than it would solve.

So I will wait until he can come and do the initial work and go from there. This is probably going to be later this fall, since his schedule is full.

I'm going to have to look up and see what a civil engineer does. That is something I have not thought of as yet.

Thanks again for the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House