Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 AM

70 posts, read 251,972 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm in the Northeast and recently built a new house (there is a thread in the forms with pics, that I need to update if you are interested).

Anyway, we are about to build a deck that will basically by 26' x 14' (it's not exactly a square, but assume it is for this discussion). The deck will be approximately 10' off the ground.

The estimate for using pressure treated lumber for the frame and Azek is $23,000, which seems super high to me. If we sub out the Azek for Trex, it would be $20,000.

A few other details, the ballisters would be black metal, the stairs would have a 4' x 4' platform in the middle, so as to be at an angle.

I'm in the process of getting a quote from Lowe's to compare, but I like my builder and want to use him - I just don't know if that price is completely too high. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Do a search for average cost of a deck. You'll find prices vary but in Pa, it seems to run $16-20.00 a ft for treated materials plus the price of the stairs. Your builder is asking $63.00 per ft using synthetic materials. While not the same cost, I'd suggest passing on the synthetic materials as it's nothing but trouble later, especially with stains that won't come off. Pricing is subject to job conditions as well.
What is Average cost per square foot to build a deck

Old 05-20-2013, 06:20 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
"Reasonable?"

No; not reasonable. Get a few estimates from deck builders (not HD/Lowes)- find an average cost, then go back to your builder and say "I have an average cost of 'X' can you do me better?"

Just because you like your builder doesn't mean you have to stay under his umbrella (though I understand your predicament). Getting the best bang for your buck should be more important.

As for materials, if you're seriously considering something other than PT for the decking look at PVC. Composites don't have a very good reputation all around; and more and more deck builders are distancing themselves from them. Other materials that are starting to catch on are light-gauge steel framing for beams and joists. Makes for great clear spans and rigidity. Cost increase is slight due to reduced labor and less overall material.

There are so many variables in deck building today, it will make a head spin- then getting a competent inspector- well, that's another story!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I know Lowes/ HD get a bit of a bad rep here, but I mainly wanted a quick alternative price point.

The new Trex (I heard it just came out) is PVC wrapped and the Azek is a PVC material, which is what we are interested in due to the lower maintenance required.

My builder said if I use Trex, it would be $20,000. Of this, approximately $7,500 is labor and $12,500 is materials (the Azek would add $3K in materials, but forget about that for now).

The materials cost at Lowes for the same Trex (PVC wrapped) is approximately $11,000 (with discounts...) and my builder claims that he gets better (and therefore more expensive) pressure treated wood (for the frame) from a local lumberyard. That explains the difference. He's also going to show the Lowes material breakdown to his supplier and they will match the prices (or he'll just buy those things from Lowes).

I'm calling a local decking company as another price point and getting a labor estimate from Lowes as soon as they can come out.

Do you think $7,500 for labor is too much? It looks like the materials cost is in the ballpark (maybe I'm overpaying by $1K or so, but that may get adjusted soon).

I was told that the labor is being done by 2 guys and will take them 5-8 days. I know these 2 guys as they did a bunch of work on my house and they are generally very solid workers and do great work, so I'm sure the quality will be outstanding.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
Forget the Home Depot and Lowes. Even with discounts, they have high markups.

Are you close to this place?

Home - Sequoia Out Back | Sequoia Supply

This is where I got my Timberbech supplies back in 2007 when I did my deck. I couldn't get any local place to match their prices. Since My order was big enough, delivery was free to the curb.

Labors really depends on what materials you are using and how you are fastening. For example, I used hidden fastener for my deck so that add a lot of time and material cost. I did the deck myself that was a total of about 650sq/ft.

This is what I learned. The material cost adds up quickly, especially on little stuff. The actual plank didn't turn out to be too bad. Here are things that are expensive that may not be apparent.

1. fasterner (I stayed away from the timbertech branded screws and got the same thing from HD special order.. about 40% the cost).
2. fascia board
3. Railings
4. Caps
5. 4x4 post cover - in your case, you are probably going to be using 6x6

If I remember correctly, my total materials cost was about $12K. It would have cost me over $20K if I had it built. Just for reference, I saved at least $2000 in materials by buying it myself compared to going to the local retail store.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I agree that the OP's "estimate" seems terribly high based on square footage. I wonder if the site requires a great deal of grading and / or retention walls / two or more stories of framing? Those things could drive costs up.

I would recommend against a "deck" or patio that costs so much in a climate where it is unlikely to get year round use. When people shop for houses they generally assign value of much less than $20k to all but the fanciest deck and for $60k they would want a FULL outdoor kitchen with Hugh end grill, running water, ice maker, beverage station, all weather TV, sound system, custom landscape lighting etc...

I know from experince that such an elaborate setup will also cost much more than $60k but that is what people expect at that price point...

The synthetic deck materials are more than a little like the market for synthetic quartz countertops -- the folks that advertise the most have the biggest markup and the product really is not all that different than lesser known products. Save your money and find a bargain supplier with a good product that does not plaster every magazine with ads! Most true "high end" buyers really prefer blue stone or slate that is quarried and installed over a poured concrete pad or attached to all weather cementatious backer board...

Last edited by chet everett; 05-20-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I agree that the OP's "estimate" seems terribly high based on square footage. I wonder if the site requires a great deal of grading and / or retention walls / two or more stories of framing? Those things could drive costs up.

I would recommend against a "deck" or patio that costs so much in a climate where it is unlikely to get year round use. When people shop for houses they generally assign value of much less than $20k to all but the fanciest deck and for $60k they would want a FULL outdoor kitchen with Hugh end grill, running water, ice maker, beverage station, all weather TV, sound system, custom landscape lighting etc...

I know from experince that such an elaborate setup will also cost much more than $60k but that is what people expect at that price point...

The synthetic deck materials are more than a little like the market for synthetic quartz countertops -- the folks that advertise the maoist have the biggest markup and the product really is not all that different than lesser known products. Save you money and find a bargain supplier with a good product that does not plaster every magazine with ads! Most true "high end" buyers really prefer blue stone or slate that is quarried and installed over a poured concrete pad or attached to all weather cementatious backer board...

Totally agree. Watch out on over spending. There are days when I feel that I put too much in my deck for my modest home. Luckily, my cost was only half becaue I did the work myself.

Found an old picture of it when it was almost complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck estimate: Reasonable?-photo.jpg  

Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Ouch. A friend and I built my 12' x 24' back deck about 6' to 8' above the ground for about $700.00. 16" OC 2" x 8" with 2" x 10" joists. If I had added railings it still would be under $1K. $20K a little high? Yeah, I think so.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Ouch. A friend and I built my 12' x 24' back deck about 6' to 8' above the ground for about $700.00. 16" OC 2" x 8" with 2" x 10" joists. If I had added railings it still would be under $1K. $20K a little high? Yeah, I think so.
There is a huge differences in price between using regular treated lumber versus the composite stuff.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Wow. That's insane. I left the itemized paperwork from Lowe's at home (and so this is from my bad memory), but I think the Pressure Treated Lumber alone for the frame was over $2K.

Aside from Lowes, I'll get 1 other price and we'll see the cost.

Chet, I spoke to my builder about the type of deck you suggested and that would cost in the $35K and up range (requires steel beams...). More importantly, I want the "old school" (which I know is contrary to using PVC material, but the look is the same) deck look. I'd like to put flagstone on the lower portion, but that is for next year after I save some money.

When I was a kid, like 30 years ago, my dad built his deck with my brother (only 2 feet off the ground) and it took them maybe 4-5 days. I know it's not super hard, which is why I'm questioning the $7.5K in labor.

Also, my father-in-law recently replaced the surface of his deck 12' x 12' (maybe 3-4' off the ground) for $4K total, including labor. He used one of the cheaper Trex lines though and his frame was already in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House