Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,429,576 times

Advertisements

I would agree with fallingwater-- to wait until you are in the house for a while.
while it's true it would be nice to get stuff done before you are there, you might find that once you are living there, seeing it through morning to night with different lighting and your own furniture and touches, that though you might still want to re-do something, maybe it will be different frmo what you now think of.
I have light oak cabinets, not really pickled though but they too are very good quality and good condition. ( I actually did select them in 1989.... a few years ago I added granite counter tops to them0 I used a dark counter top(I think it's sapphire blue granite a very durable not pricey granite) and changed the hardware and lighting, added crown molding and it really looks great. I left my flooring which is a 8 or 10 inch whitish ceramic tile (also selected in 1989). I think if i had the bucks and all, in a perfect world, I would probably love wood flooring but at this point, it looks pretty darn good enough and updated.
so the point is, maybe try living with it and no need to rush deciding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,700,020 times
No one will "point and laugh" .....

Painted cabinets can be quite charming, especially if you get glass inserts in a few of the upper cabinets.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,154,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
No one will "point and laugh" .....

Painted cabinets can be quite charming, especially if you get glass inserts in a few of the upper cabinets.
^^^^ This is exactly what I did. It turned out pretty cute but then again I was going for the whole farmhouse look.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Fallingwater, I'd like to fly you from "the middle" to exotic Pittsburgh to remodel my kitchen!

Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I would agree with fallingwater-- to wait until you are in the house for a while.
while it's true it would be nice to get stuff done before you are there, you might find that once you are living there, seeing it through morning to night with different lighting and your own furniture and touches, that though you might still want to re-do something, maybe it will be different frmo what you now think of.
I have light oak cabinets, not really pickled though but they too are very good quality and good condition. ( I actually did select them in 1989.... a few years ago I added granite counter tops to them0 I used a dark counter top(I think it's sapphire blue granite a very durable not pricey granite) and changed the hardware and lighting, added crown molding and it really looks great. I left my flooring which is a 8 or 10 inch whitish ceramic tile (also selected in 1989). I think if i had the bucks and all, in a perfect world, I would probably love wood flooring but at this point, it looks pretty darn good enough and updated.
so the point is, maybe try living with it and no need to rush deciding.
I find when sprucing up a kitchen space, most of the time its the counters, floors, backsplash and hardware that date the space more than the cabinets. I think those end up being more of the trendy choices people make. Although, pickled oak...ugh... I just detest.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Fallingwater, I'd like to fly you from "the middle" to exotic Pittsburgh to remodel my kitchen!
LOL. Thanks. How is your remodel going?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
LOL. Thanks. How is your remodel going?
Well....we tore out more stuff. Now we're going away on vacation! We plan to be fully committed when we get home.

The big hurdle was the flooring. I couldn't decide for the life of me. I couldn't pick the cabinets and countertops without knowing what type of flooring I'd have. It was a viscous circle. I kept going back and forth. White cabinets/light wood. Tile/everything else under the sun.

I made a decision this week and I'm sticking to it. I swear I am.

I'm living like a hillbilly. I bought a Dyson Animal to vacuum my plywood floors!

I can't let this continue any longer!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,214,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Well....we tore out more stuff. Now we're going away on vacation! We plan to be fully committed when we get home.

The big hurdle was the flooring. I couldn't decide for the life of me. I couldn't pick the cabinets and countertops without knowing what type of flooring I'd have. It was a viscous circle. I kept going back and forth. White cabinets/light wood. Tile/everything else under the sun.

I made a decision this week and I'm sticking to it. I swear I am.

I'm living like a hillbilly. I bought a Dyson Animal to vacuum my plywood floors!

I can't let this continue any longer!
LOL Don't you just LOVE remodeling? Plywood is so hard to sweep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House