Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM

424 posts, read 668,054 times

Advertisements

So I hired painters to do all the rooms in my house. I had to provide the paint so I went with Sherwin Williams Superpaint in Diverse Beige. After providing them with a 5 gallon bucket of paint for the living room, the painter ran out and I had to get more.

After doing the walk-through, I noticed that in many spots the paint colors (from the first batch to the second) seem to be slightly different.

Is it possible that the two batches didn't match up? (The second batch was mixed at a different Sherwin Williams store than the first) Or could it be the painters' mistake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Can't blame the painters!

Different store CAN be off, even just a bit.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Every "single" batch has the potential to be slightly different from each other- period.
Even more so from one store to another- calibration of the tinting machine can be off just enough to "see" the shading difference.

This is why when you have multiple cans you mix them all together for a "uniform" color.

So; yep, can't blame the painters.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,171,711 times
The painters don't influence the color.

Tinting machines are very accurate. Any difference between two machines would be so small it would not be noticeable.

If the two batches don't match, one of them was probably mixed improperly - in other words, a human error.

It could have happened even if you would have bought both batches of paint at the same store.

Did you tell tell the people in the second store to mix "Diverse Beige," or did you bring them a color sample to match on their computer? If you did the second, that could account for the difference - computers often don't match colors with complete accuracy.

f.y.i.: I have mixed many thousands of gallons of paint.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Painter couldn't mix the first batch with the second as OP stated they ran out of paint and had to go get another can. And I always go back to the same store for any extra paint I need.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Well, that's hogwash! You're honestly going to say that the prep-work, priming, and or previous wall color, or amount of new paint applied to a surface "don't influence color"?

Tinting machines are very accurate. Any difference between two machines would be so small it would not be noticeable.
Yes, tinting machines CAN BE very accurate- when they are calibrated correctly. And that doesn't happen very often- it's too time consuming and expensive. And for stores that mix hundreds of gallons a day that can be costly with down time. Steps in a motor, and/or fatigue in a pump from one machine to another can certainly vary resulting in mis-matches.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 AM

So if the color IS slightly off like I thought, what can I do about it? Refund?

Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM

When I went to the second store, I just told them to mix Diverse Beige. And for the record, I went back to the first store but they were all out of that color. So I had no choice but to go to the second store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

If the two batches don't match, one of them was probably mixed improperly - in other words, a human error.

It could have happened even if you would have bought both batches of paint at the same store.

Did you tell tell the people in the second store to mix "Diverse Beige," or did you bring them a color sample to match on their computer? If you did the second, that could account for the difference - computers often don't match colors with complete accuracy.

f.y.i.: I have mixed many thousands of gallons of paint.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
When I went to the second store, I just told them to mix Diverse Beige. And for the record, I went back to the first store but they were all out of that color. So I had no choice but to go to the second store.
??

Wasn't it mixed by the machine? If so, they cannot be "out of that color".

Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,154,604 times
The painters' fault in that they should have been aware that there can be differences in batches...they should have reserved some of the first batch for touch up on those walls painted with it, and used the additional paint for a separate wall or walls. Boxing (mixing the paint together, or doing what I just said) is painting 101. Ninety-nine percent of the time, colors will match up perfectly from batch to batch but best to take precautions in case the one percent scenario!

Also, how did they do the touch ups - I'm assuming you mean they had to go back and re-do missed spots? If the rolled the first coat or coats, did they touch up with a brush, or with a roller? Because swiping a loaded brush over a rolled wall will usually look different; it should be rolled or at least dabbed with a brush, even for little spots.

Also I wonder how professional these painters were having the homeowner get the paint. I pay about 60 percent of retail at SW or Benjamin Moore here, figure out how much paint I need for the job, and get it myself. I don't like for the client to provide paint, generally.

I've been a painting contractor since 1979 and if this happened with me (and it or similar things have) I would do a full repaint on the affected walls if they couldn't be fixed, on my dime. No way do I want to leave a client unhappy with a job I did! Are these painters refusing to fix this issue?

I know I'm going against popular opinion here, but I'm putting all the blame on the painters, if they claim to be professionals.

Also as a side note, over five gallons for a living room (walls only?) is really a lot. I do lots of McMansion - type big vaulted spaces and always do two coats and 4-5 gallons suffices for a very big space. Unless maybe they sprayed it, which seems unlikely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House