Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 PM

58 posts, read 243,230 times

Advertisements

We were thinking of installing a new ridge vent on our house. We have a 1500 square foot home. I am wondering if we will have to install more soffit vents under the eaves to match the air flow that would now be going out the top of the roof. We have about six soffit vents now and a couple of gable vents. Will this provide enough air flow?

Thanks for any help or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 04:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
You should read up on how ridge vents are supposed to work. Generally they are NOT recommended as an "add-on" when one hase gable-end vents...

There are tons of pictures all over the interwebs that show some disturbing /undeniable things about the nature of air movement.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman45 View Post
We were thinking of installing a new ridge vent on our house.
I am wondering if we will have to install more soffit vents under the eaves...
If you don't have enough soffit intake area/volume (and very few houses do)...
then it really doesn't matter what is happening with the outlet end of things.

Otoh... if you DO want to have better attic ventilation and especially so in summer
then there's nothing better than a ridge vent (and adequate soffit intake area).

The question is when it's best to do the ridge vent work.

For most that will be the next time you do roofing shingles.
Have the roofers close off the gable ends then as well (+ add some siding etc)

If you're handy and can comfortable reach your eaves from a ladder...
then that part of the job can be done before the roof level work.

hth

Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM

Okay, I guess the ridge vent is out. How about installing some dormer vents or turbine vents on top of the roof? Do these work well with gable vents or about the same a ridge vent?

To be clear, we have 2 gable vents about 12" x 16" each and 6 soffit vents about 2" x 12" each. We live in California and it gets awful hot in the attic.

Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Since you have gable vents, definitely nix the ridge vent. If you add anything, add soffit vents.

Here's a past post of mine that will help you determine if you need more or not:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/18386004-post2.html

Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Okay, I guess the ridge vent is out.
Huh? Where do you get that?

You can't do better than a ridge vent.
Beats the snot out of turbines gable ends or anything else.

The only question is about doing the job properly.
Do it properly.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Huh? Where do you get that?

You can't do better than a ridge vent.
Beats the snot out of turbines gable ends or anything else.

The only question is about doing the job properly.
Do it properly.
Well it seems that everyone else is against having a ridge vent and gable vents at the same time. I've looked a couple of websites and it looks like the idea is to cover up the gable vents if you have a ridge vent and add more soffit vents for added intake. But we only have 6 soffit vents and no where to add any more thanks to a back porch patio.

Maybe I don't understand the difference between gable and soffit vents. Aren't they both just different types of venting to the attic?

So I am now wondering about adding turbines or dormer vents on the roof. Maybe is that my only option if I can't add any more soffit vents?

Last edited by Roman45; 02-12-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM

Attachment 107521
Quote:
Well it seems that everyone else is against having a ridge vent and gable vents at the same time.
I am too. I said so.
Quote:
Maybe I don't understand the difference between gable end and soffit vents.
Aren't they both just different types of venting to the attic?
No.

Along the ENTIRE length of the house... the same length that corresponds with a ridge vent.
UNDER the overhanging eave... you will (should) have soffit vent intakes.

Most homes... these intakes are either too small or have been covered over with vinyl.
If you're handy and can comfortable reach your eaves from a ladder...
then remedying this problem can be done anytime (like before the roof level work) .

Below are 2 pics. #1 is a gable end louvre vent. #2 is ridge & eave detail
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a new ridge vent on roof-gablend.jpg   Installing a new ridge vent on roof-ridge-eave2.jpg  

Last edited by MrRational; 02-12-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
There are sites under attic ventaltion than can tell you what in terms of both are needed for size.Do a search.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There are sites under attic ventaltion than can tell you what in terms of both are needed for size.Do a search.
Yeah, I have been doing some reading, but there seems to be so much conflicting information. It seems that every type of venting (fans, ridge, etc) have it's fans and detractors.

And Mr. Rational. Thanks for your advice. I do understand the difference between Gable and soffit vents, but I thought that both would work as an intake for the ridge vent since the ridge vent would be higher than all of them. It seems like that isn't true and most people say the gable vents should be covered up if a ridge vent is installed.

I would love the ridge vent, but my only problem is that I could only add a couple of soffit vents next to the ones I already have on the side and front of the house due to a patio that comes up to the eaves along the backside of the house and there's no way to add any more soffit vents there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House