Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,913,617 times

Advertisements

And why is it leaking

The thing I am pointing at in the picture is part of our heating system piping. It is mounted on the wall behind the boiler. The blue pipe on the far side is a water supply line. It is to allow the boiler to add more water into the system when needed. If I open the valve to let water flow, the thing I am pointing at eventually starts spraying water all over the place. It just started doing that this year.

Anyone know what it is , why it is leaking and what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
What is this thing?-camera-photos-feb-2013-142.jpg   What is this thing?-camera-photos-feb-2013-145.jpg   What is this thing?-camera-photos-feb-2013-143.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,513,817 times
Could this possibly be it?
Attached Thumbnails
What is this thing?-backflow.jpg  

Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
I'm not sure what you're pointing at but following the blue pipe the thing on the right is backflow preventer, that will prevent water from making it's way back into the supply if there is more pressure in the boiler than the water line. The second thing on the left is a pressure reducer.

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-06-2013 at 08:08 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,245,513 times
Yep, backflow preventer. It's designed so that if it fails, it vents the water out the third opening rather than allow backflow into the potable water system. So it just needs to be replaced. You might also need a drain pipe installed to meet code.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
I'll agree with the pressure reduction (limitation) valve as being the object with the dome, but the other looks more like an overpressure relief valve. Note where it is designed to accept another pipe to drain off the water instead of spray it. A check-valve / backflow preventer doesn't need that.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,171,582 times
Definitely a B/F preventer, but with a vent.
You may find this to your liking-

Watts 9D-M3 Backflow Preventer Valve: Failure & Aggravation « The Smell of Molten Projects in the Morning

Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM

Using terms like that incorrectly bothers me, even when it is a major manufacturer that does it. To prevent backflow, one uses a check valve, which is also known as a backflow preventer. Those devices do NOT have "vents" or anything along those lines. They simply stop the flow of water in one direction, much like a diode in electronics does for electricity.

That valve shown is more accurately a pressure relief valve with one way (undirectional) flow-through or injection for makeup water when the pressure drops below a certain level, as might happen with a collapsing steam pocket.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,171,582 times
harry-
If you look at the casting it clearly says VENT.
Call it whatever- but if the manufacturer/engineer/designers call it a VENT- it's a vent.

I believe some call it an "atmospheric vent".

Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Using terms like that incorrectly bothers me, even when it is a major manufacturer that does it. To prevent backflow, one uses a check valve, which is also known as a backflow preventer. Those devices do NOT have "vents" or anything along those lines. They simply stop the flow of water in one direction, much like a diode in electronics does for electricity.

That valve shown is more accurately a pressure relief valve with one way (undirectional) flow-through or injection for makeup water when the pressure drops below a certain level, as might happen with a collapsing steam pocket.
Harry as I understand it there is two check valves in it and the vent sits between them, if the boiler side check fails then it will vent.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 PM

KB, I'm well aware of that. I don't disagree that you used the common terms for it. It is mislabeled - perhaps the same casting was used in a different application at some point, it makes no difference to me. The PURPOSE of the device is as I stated, injector / relief valve. I once had a science teacher tell me a resistor was a capacitor and a capacitor a resistor. It didn't make it so. I once saw an elevator where some wag had swapped the up and down buttons. The elevator didn't care.

Errors in use of the language can result in dangerous situations. A heating system with only a replacement backflow preventer (because someone went to a plumbing store and asked for one without showing the old one) instead of a pressure relief valve could be an EXTREMELY dangerous situation. See whaddi mean? The important point is the idea of venting or releasing an excess of pressure, whether it be steam or water or orange juice. Take that out of the system and there is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House