Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:26 PM

20,313 posts, read 37,284,623 times

Advertisements

Are you using two wrenches, one to hold the valve in place and the other to tighten the nut?

Compression valves or stops are installed as follows:

a. After removing the old one, make sure that the copper pipe is clean. You can use a 3-M green pad (some have a sponge at one side and a green pad at the other side) to clean the pipe. Just use the green pad on a circular motion around the pipe where the new valve is to be installed.

b. Now push or slide the nut over the pipe first, then the compression ring, and finally the valve or stop.

c. Now hand-tight the nut against the valve (the ring is between both of them).

d. Grab a wrench or plier, and hold the stop in place so it does not move, and with you other hand use a wrench to turn the nut over the stop. The stop or valve should never be allowed to move. The only parts that is moved is the nut as it's threaded or tightened over the stop. It's the nut itself that pushes and compresses the ring between the stop and the nut. Never use tape over the ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,404,234 times
The old compression ring has probably crushed the water line somewhat (especially if the water line is copper) so the new compression ring, which is standard-sized, is loose on the line. If you can pull the valve off the line after tightening the compression nut, the water pressure may be able to also push the nut off eventually. This besides the loose fitting causing leaking.

The only thing I can tell you now is to torque the new nut down until the new compression ring tightens on the water line. Just be careful not to twist your water line coming out of the wall if it is a copper line. Some of that white silicone tape might also come in handy right now even on the new fittings. In fact, I would use that tape on all your new fittings anyway.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 AM

4,272 posts, read 8,192,632 times
You guys rule!

On my 4th trip to Lowes, I found a "push on" valve... I got it home, and had it installed and working in 10 minutes, after spending all day in my bathroom. Not a drip since... Whew!

Thanks a ton, I greatly appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House