Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I have a good friend who works for the US Forestry service. As a part of his job, he is in close contact with lumbermen and he told me there are two schools of thought on the brand issue: Husky or Stihl. There is no other. As mentioned, it is important to remember that the Home Depot/Lowe's model is not the same as the professional model, although they are fine for light to moderate use.

I have used Husky (should say Husqvarna in case that cheap snowblower maker makes chainsaws too) for years and have always been satisfied. I have friends who have used Stihls for years and feel likewise. I would expect good service from either as long as you have chosen the appropriate saw for your purpose.
Your post is right on with current marketing I think. Most people who buy one ether hardly ever uses it, or , its always in the shop, for " over use". This raise's another question, these days chain saws still require a lot of service, kinda like copy machines used too. Choosing the best repair station close to home should be tops on you list decisions.
I would have to say, none of the saws are built like they once were. I think a lot of factors come to play, like poor gas mix, to miss use cutting more than the saw was intended to be used for, to built in failure ( I know that sounds paranoid, but I think it is true), so go for what you think is right for you, most times it will be the wrong choice !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,376,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfan View Post
Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it!
My question to you would be, what do you want? What are you going to use it for?

Many years ago, when I heated our house and garage with wood-burning stoves, I had a Stihl chainsaw & an old truck. That saw was absolutely amazing, but also expensive. Years later, I eventually just wore it out.

For the last several years, all I've needed to do is trim branches and saw up an occasional tree on our properties. I probably don't use my chainsaw more than about a dozen times per year. I bought a Poulan on the cheap, and it works great for what I need it for. I'd love to have another Stihl, but just can't really justify rolling out the bucks for one.

That's my 2 cents' worth...

Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
I almost bought a chainsaw this weekend. I went to two shops. At one of them the guy knows me pretty well and frequently gives me good advice with regard to power equipment. This time he did (maybe). Although he would love to sell me a Stihl, he said go find a used one that is at least ten years old. According to him, they are all now either made in China/Korea or use parts from there and have too many plastic parts. He said none of the new ones will hold up with a darn. According to him Husky and Stihl used to be execellent. Now both are just as junky as anything else. He said Shindawa also used to be execellent, but Echo bought them and now they are just expensive Echo's. He said a used Shindawa might be a good choice as well if I can find one older than the buy out. Clearly he does not have an agenda since he would have been happy to sell a new one to me and make money. Maybe he is opinionated or misinformed, or maybe he is right.

Anyway, I decided to just borrow Dad's Echo again since the immediate pressing need for one passed.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,300,393 times
So far as buying a used chainsaw, that is fine if you are "mechanical" and can totally overhaul it and fix any problems it has or will soon have.

Note I am mechanical and can do that, however I only buy new chainsaws (Stihl). That is because I don't want to drive 30 miles up into the woods and then have a chainsaw which will not start or has maintenance problems.

Anyway I bought a new Stihl a year ago and it works just fine. Always starts. And it is the same quality as my older Stihl chainsaws. Although I have a Stihl 260 and a couple of Stihl 460's which are "pro" models.

And you get what you pay for. Many companies make "cheap" consumer models and also make more expensive pro or commercial models which are designed to be used 8 hours a day.

Same with lawnmowers - look at what the pro gardeners use.

Look at the locksets on business, school, and government doors. (Like $200 as opposed to $30 for a home lockset.)

And vacuum cleaners a large business or hotel uses - commercial models. ($$)

Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
So far as buying a used chainsaw, that is fine if you are "mechanical" and can totally overhaul it and fix any problems it has or will soon have.

Note I am mechanical and can do that, however I only buy new chainsaws (Stihl). That is because I don't want to drive 30 miles up into the woods and then have a chainsaw which will not start or has maintenance problems.

Anyway I bought a new Stihl a year ago and it works just fine. Always starts. And it is the same quality as my older Stihl chainsaws. Although I have a Stihl 260 and a couple of Stihl 460's which are "pro" models.

And you get what you pay for. Many companies make "cheap" consumer models and also make more expensive pro or commercial models which are designed to be used 8 hours a day.

Look at the locksets on business, school, and government doors. (Like $200 as opposed to $30 for a home lockset.)

And vacuum cleaners a large business or hotel uses - commercial models. ($$)
I have had even more problems with the Husky pro Model. Yes more power with compression release, heavy, and more subkect to distruction, cause you work it harder. Also the gas thats used these days kills off most saws before their time.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I would have to say, none of the saws are built like they once were. I think a lot of factors come to play, like poor gas mix,
Actually the gas itself with the ethanol is a problem. My friend owns a stihl dealership and does small engine repair. He loves ethanol!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,102,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post

Easiest way to tell if a lawnmower is well made is look at how the front wheels are mounted. The better models will have a full axle and bearings. The cheaper ones are mounted to the deck and have bushings. I used to work at my Friends place after high school decades ago. One of the more memorable moments was when the sales rep from Ariens was there and heard a customer ask why the lawnmower was so much. He walks over and starts jumping up and down on the deck and this guy wasn't light either. He tells the customer go try that with the $100 lawnmower. LOL The boss was not amused.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 PM

211 posts, read 402,899 times
"My question to you would be, what do you want? What are you going to use it for?"
I have a smaller chainsaw (my girlie saw) I use for light duty. I have 2 trees on the ground and one still standing waiting on me....my 350 worked well thru the years...I will add that I don't expect to have to use the saw to the extent I've had to in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House