Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,804 times

Advertisements

Okay so we bought a new chainsaw and it is not cutting...it just makes a dent. We thought we put the chain backwards changed it still no change. What are we doing wrong. It has oil.

16 in. Electric Chainsaw-UT43122 at The Home Depot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Looking at the top of the bar, the teeth should look like this image, with the saw being to the left side and the bar tip to the right.

The teeth should be sharp to the touch, with the sharp edge being where the tip of the arrow point to the "inside facing tooth" is. Are you sure it was totally "brand new" or had some bozo returned it after he had hit a rock or metal then returned it. Hitting a rock or concrete will dull a chain instantly, to the point it is no more effective than a bicycle chain would be.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
Okay so we bought a new chainsaw and it is not cutting...it just makes a dent. We thought we put the chain backwards changed it still no change. What are we doing wrong. It has oil.

16 in. Electric Chainsaw-UT43122 at The Home Depot
If it's turning, and you have the chain going the right direction, it should be tearing the heck out of wood.

Ashville Native makes some excellent points - especially the part about how you can make a chain go dull ALMOST INSTANTLY.
1. Check to see that the chain is on properly.
2. Check to see that it's sharp.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Have you tried plugging it in?

I couldn't resist!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
As mentioned dirt, rocks, and metal(like nails in the tree) will dull a chain very quickly, cutting just wood and it will remain sharp for a very long time. You can check to see if it's dull by looking at the top of the tooth. The flat part on the top of the tooth that would be horizontal with the ground has to be flat right up to the cutting edge. As it dulls the cutting edge will round over like this one:

How to Sharpen a Chainsaw « Whispering Winds Bamboo

The worse thing you can do with a dull chain is to continue to run it dull, that rounded edge will get a lot worse requiring more metal removal to properly sharpen it. To do it properly you have to sharpen it back to the point where it's no longer rounded. You're better off sharpening frequently with just a couple of light strokes with the chain file on each tooth than waiting until it dull which requires a lot of metal removal. Any saw I owned would never get to the condition of the tooth you see above.

Just one small tip, observe the size of the chips your saw makes while cutting when you know the chain is really sharp. As the chain dulls the chips will get smaller, once they start getting smaller sharpen it. The chips from that saw you posted when it's sharp will proabaly be a little bigger than oat meal.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,133 times
I think the problem is it is not a Stihl...

(As mentioned above, double check the chain sharpness and orientation...also, I assume the chain moves when powered on and the trigger activated?)

Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
Watch the following video, Stihl "Chain Saw Safety, Operation, and Maintenance", chapter 3 - Sharpening your Chain.

Just sharpening the cutters will do nothing, you also need to lower the "depth gauges" (rakers) with a file. This is explained in the video.

STIHL Video Library - Informative Videos about STIHL Outdoor Power Equipment | STIHL USA

Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 AM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
DH says he has never seen an electric chain saw perform the way a gas one does.

Do you have to go electric?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,804 times
Got fed up with the chainsaw and i took it back to the store. One thing i noticed the chainsaw had a scratch like it was returned. I told them not to put it back on the shelf.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
I have never had one work wirth a darn. I think they are just supposed to look nice in the store so people will but they. THey really are not intended to be used to cut anything. Maybe thistles or brambles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House