Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 PM

17,480 posts, read 66,131,333 times

Advertisements

Man, you guys sure know how to make things complicated!
Both can be controlled by "one" wire with a computerized wall controller.
Casablanca was the first to come out with one- ItelliTouch.
The only difference would be controlling the ceiling lights versus a light kit- easily accomplished by running the wire back through the fan.
Several other manufacturers make computerized switches now- some even have RF capabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM

23,611 posts, read 70,493,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Man, you guys sure know how to make things complicated!
Both can be controlled by "one" wire with a computerized wall controller.
Casablanca was the first to come out with one- ItelliTouch.
The only difference would be controlling the ceiling lights versus a light kit- easily accomplished by running the wire back through the fan.
Several other manufacturers make computerized switches now- some even have RF capabilities.
Funny you should mention that...

In south Florida I had a similar switching for a while. I would power on my fan and the neighbor's garage door would open. He would close the door and my fan would go to a different setting.

Running THNN is not rocket science.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,131,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

You mean- THHN.

Running wire may or may not be a big deal for you and/or the OP- but if there's a way to achieve an end result with the least amount of work/ a controller sure sounds like the better way to go(?)

Of course the flip-side is if you're a tight-ass like me, I'm going to do it the cheapest way possible- regardless of the amount of work (labor). If 20' of 14THHN costs less than $10 then yeah, that's the way to go!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 AM

520 posts, read 3,922,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
This isn't a fair statement to make. It might be a cake walk for you and others who do this for a living or have done this many times but for others, it is a daunting task. I've ran wires a handful of times, the easy stuff but I still get nervous each time I've done it.

Thanks again everyone for the help and suggestions. Most of the stuff I'll need (conduit, wiring, etc...) I have left over from when we finished the basement. Only thing I think I don't have is the double switch and and new switch plate I'll need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House