Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times

Advertisements

I have a 10,000 btu a/c that can usually cool my whole apartment.

This year I moved the a/c to my bedroom and one coil on the side and top freezes up all the time.

The unit is struggling to cool my bedroom, one half is cooler (side w/ a/c) than the other.

I've had this a/c unit for about 6 or 7 years.

Could it be low on feon? or Would it just be cheaper to buy another a/c unit?

Before I moved the unit I did try to clean the interior by running water over it. I didn't take it apart other than taking off the encasement and it didn't look very dirty at all. Did I possibly mess something up while doing this? Or could it be clogged somewhere?

The screen in front has a greenish line going down coming from the area of the freezing up coil and the inside of the front panel has a green spot too. Is this feon? Is it a leak?

Please help, too hot for a broken down a/c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Freon is gaseous refrigerant that ought to remain sealed inside an air conditioning unit for just about forever IF the seals are OK. Once the seals age and harden the gaseous refrigerant can leak out either a bit at time or pretty quickly.

I would be willing to bet that a 6 or 7 year old window unit is not worth servicing. A new 10,000 btu window unit is about $250 ...

Old 06-29-2012, 06:35 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Oops! Forgive my spelling errors, that should have been spelled f-r-e-o-n. Guess I'm getting old. lol

Thanks Chet.

I ended up taking the a/c out the window again to see if I missed something. The back was dirtier than I thought. I'll see how long it'll last before I'll need a new one.

Just put it back in after cleaning and started again, either it's my imagination but I think that may have helped.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Oops! Forgive my spelling errors, that should have been spelled f-r-e-o-n. Guess I'm getting old. lol

Thanks Chet.

I ended up taking the a/c out the window again to see if I missed something. The back was dirtier than I thought. I'll see how long it'll last before I'll need a new one.

Just put it back in after cleaning and started again, either it's my imagination but I think that may have helped.
Cleaning always helps. Any electrical or mechanical component (or machine) that uses a radiator for cooling (like the radiator on your car, for example), has to be periodically cleaned. A lot of the outdoors AC units use radiator-like components, and these are regularly rinsed or air-cleaned.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Have you pulled the washable filter out and cleaned it?

If you have and you've cleaned the coils there isn't much more maintenance to do on a window unit besides making sure the coils aren't bent.

If it's still not working after all that it may be time to buy a new one. The cost to repair one isn't worth it if you have a leak unless you know how to do the work yourself and have the tools and ability to buy refrigerant.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
How much life am I sucking from one if its nearly alway on? It on low so when its not so hot it just blows air but its keeping me from needing to set up the more powerful one yet.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
How much life am I sucking from one if its nearly alway on? It on low so when its not so hot it just blows air but its keeping me from needing to set up the more powerful one yet.
If you keep the coils clean, the filter clean, the coil fins undamaged and the drainage system clear on it you're not sucking much life at all from it. Certainly not enough life to be worried about it.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 9,614 times
Default Brand that you of air condition that you have had for 6 to 7 years please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I have a 10,000 btu a/c that can usually cool my whole apartment.

This year I moved the a/c to my bedroom and one coil on the side and top freezes up all the time.

The unit is struggling to cool my bedroom, one half is cooler (side w/ a/c) than the other.

I've had this a/c unit for about 6 or 7 years.

Could it be low on feon? or Would it just be cheaper to buy another a/c unit?

Before I moved the unit I did try to clean the interior by running water over it. I didn't take it apart other than taking off the encasement and it didn't look very dirty at all. Did I possibly mess something up while doing this? Or could it be clogged somewhere?

The screen in front has a greenish line going down coming from the area of the freezing up coil and the inside of the front panel has a green spot too. Is this feon? Is it a leak?

Please help, too hot for a broken down a/c.
What is the name of your air condition? PLEASE

Old 04-19-2017, 02:49 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Window A/C unit, as refrigerator, should have only brazed joints on the refrigerant lines, so there are no "seals to dry out". Most common cause of leaks will be a pinhole from corrosion in one of the heat exchangers (probably evaporator, because it's constantly bathed in condensate, but could also be condenser due to outdoors exposure, especially if near the beach with salt exposure).

Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
These days, modern window units almost seem to be disposable. You can buy a 5000-6000 btu unit for $100, or a 10K unit for $250. It fails in 2-3 years, just buy another.

With that said, I've had pretty good luck with my units getting 10 years or so out of them. I regularly clean them out, to keep them from overheating, and have only had one that seemed to have lost it's coolant charge. I haven't bought any within the last 5 years though, and the 3-4 units I have are easily a decade old.

My current house has an 18K btu unit dated 1990 that still blows ice cold. When I run this bad boy, it freezes out the room in a matter of minutes. Problem with a 27 year old AC unit is finding parts. The cooling mode/OFF select switch broke, and I can't find a replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House