Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:32 AM

130 posts, read 503,426 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of installing a wireless garage door opener with a keypad for easy entry into my garage when we have no key/car remote. Are these safe? Anything concerning about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM

502 posts, read 1,654,962 times
We've had one for about three years now, as do many in my subdivision, and have never had a problem.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times
They are as safe as any other remote system. Your typical non insulated garage door can be penatrated with a good pair of sheers. If someone want's to break into you're house they will. I'f you're concerned buy an alarm or a gun.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
I have one at my home and my daughters home. Nice if you don't have keys or a remote. If I can get in the garage, I have another key hidden. Nothing worse than sitting on the curb waiting for someone to come home when you lock yourself out..!
Both are out of sight so if you don't know where it is, you won't find it. Probably not necessary to hide it, but it's another layer of safety.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:07 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
I am presuming you also have a door with a key or method to get into the garage, when/if the power goes out.
Nothing like an emergency situation, and you also have no power so that you can't get into the car....

Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Yeah. Various family members have had those for years without trouble.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I am presuming you also have a door with a key or method to get into the garage, when/if the power goes out.
Nothing like an emergency situation, and you also have no power so that you can't get into the car....
True, if there is a power outage I wouldn't get in, however..!
For the few times in a lifetime that I might lock myself out, happen to coincide with a rare power outage, I guess I'm screwed. I'm guessing the odds are better that I win the lottery twice before that happens...
I feel lucky..!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Terrorists sometimes use them as triggers for IEDs. If there is a terrorist in your garage, you may set off the explosion prematurely.

As far as safety from burgulary. No. A garage door opener is not a security device. It is not meant to be. If you do not lock your garage door, your things will be no more or less safe with or without any particular kind of opener. If you leave your door secured only by an opener, I can get itno your garage in less than a minute and I am not even a theif. A good thief will be faster. If you do lock your garage door, you will need to unlock it beore the opener can function. At that point, you may as well just open the door. You can get some health benefits from this as well.

One thing that is funny is that some remotes for gargage door openers will open from CB radio waves or light patterns for IR remotes. It is not unusual for remote openers to trigger at random and owners to come home and find their door wide open.

Is your safety concern that the wireless waves will give you brain tumors? That urban legend has been debunked along with cell phones or ear buds causing cancer. Probably no danger there.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
I have had one for several years with no problem. I especially like to take a walk with the dogs without carrying a key. I can put in temporary codes for contractors too.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Terrorists sometimes use them as triggers for IEDs. If there is a terrorist in your garage, you may set off the explosion prematurely.

Terrorists use cell phones. A 14-year old can wire one. Ridiculous. Actually, a GPS is even better.

As far as safety from burgulary. No. A garage door opener is not a security device. It is not meant to be. If you do not lock your garage door, your things will be no more or less safe with or without any particular kind of opener. If you leave your door secured only by an opener, I can get itno your garage in less than a minute and I am not even a theif.

Enlighten all of us, as how you would do that, when we have rolling-code openers.

Actually, doesn't matter to me, as the motion-sensing camera in the garage will send live video to me in seconds, on my cell phone. Me thinks you would not want me at home when you start grabbing stuff out of my carriage house.

A good thief will be faster. If you do lock your garage door, you will need to unlock it beore the opener can function. At that point, you may as well just open the door. You can get some health benefits from this as well.

One thing that is funny is that some remotes for gargage door openers will open from CB radio waves or light patterns for IR remotes. It is not unusual for remote openers to trigger at random and owners to come home and find their door wide open.

Documented evidence please. Rolling-code RF encryption remotes obviated that behavior a long time ago. Sort of eliminates the 'eavesdropper' capability as well. This IS the 21st century (though I can grab a device in my basement that will tell me what FM radio station you are listening to, when I am sitting in the street outside your house. )

Is your safety concern that the wireless waves will give you brain tumors? That urban legend has been debunked along with cell phones or ear buds causing cancer. Probably no danger there.

Nothing personal, but this is the most ridiculous post I ever saw. I really hope it is all sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House