Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 AM

421 posts, read 1,075,027 times

Advertisements

I have some blockage in bath tub, the water stays for about 1 minute or so, I tried using some liquid from HD or Lowes, but that didn't help. Can you please recommend some strong treatment that works OR any other way ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 AM

433 posts, read 1,230,150 times
Can you stick a "snake" down the drain?

Clear Any Clogged Drain | Plumbing | This Old House - 4

How to Unclog a Bathtub Drain: 8 steps - wikiHow

I used one in my shower drain and got a bunch of hair and other stuff to finally drain after 1 month of it slowly starting to fill after each shower.

Cost was like $20 at Lowes to buy and 5 minutes of work and the drain was flowing full blast.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,081,351 times
Yep, you need to snake it.

Then invest in one of these:

Amazon.com: Hair Stopper - Drain Protector / Strainer: Home Improvement

Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,951,518 times
You can try using this for starter

Shop Cobra Zip-It Drain Cleaning Tool at Lowes.com=

That will get you most of the stuff before the trap.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,527,835 times
Most people misuse liquid / crystal drain opener. If you read the label the type of clogs that are likely in bathtub drains are generally some combination of hair, soap and conditioner. It other word a big greasy / slippery mess. The list on this page essentially has the HARSHEST solution at the top. You literally cannot leave that sit for too long as it can destroy the base of the tub / drain plug. INSTEAD start at the bottom of that list with the CITRUS DEGREASER. Get as super strong solution and pour it in when the pipe / tub is warm / hot. Let it sit overnight or a weekend. Odds are that will clean / degrease the pipes to the point where everything can be flushed away. Also thing about using the "bio enzyme" type stuff on a regular basis -- especially when you are away for the weekend or similar period when its slow action is best.

Yes, a snake will often grab / break-up one big clogging hairball, but in many tubs you cannot fit much of snake down without scratching the tub or dissambling the overflow. Much better to "cleanse" the pipes...

http://www.bannerchemical.com/drain_cleaners.html

Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,393,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
You can try using this for starter

Shop Cobra Zip-It Drain Cleaning Tool at Lowes.com=

That will get you most of the stuff before the trap.

Best $2 you will EVER spend!!!

I got one of these after a recommendation here, DH scoffed at my spendy purchase . He tried it, got about 47 lbs of DD's hair out of the drain, he is sold on it I would try this before anything else.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 AM

136 posts, read 436,101 times
I found that my problems were caused by hair accumulating right around the drain area. It'd start building up after getting caught around the stopper attachment point. Ended up using an old toothbrush - removed the stopper and wedged it into the opening. After twisting it a bit the bristles had a good grip on the hair and I was able to pull it free. Had to do that a few times to get it all.

Drains work great after that. I've found that the drains stay clog-free longer if you remove the stopper entirely.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:23 PM

409 posts, read 875,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_new View Post
I have some blockage in bath tub, the water stays for about 1 minute or so, I tried using some liquid from HD or Lowes, but that didn't help. Can you please recommend some strong treatment that works OR any other way ?
Maybe you are not using enough of the product. I had a simlar problem with my shower. I can hear the pipe starting to fill up, and then I am standing in water. I hate that so I had to keep turning the shower off and on to let the water drain. I tried all the drain clearning products, and baking power and vinegar. Nothing worked. But listening to that way the pipe filled up made me thing the clog was far below the shower floor and the amount of drain cleaner wasn't getting to it. So I poured all of the Draino Max gel, in a red container and 80 ozs, down the drain in one shot and left it overnight. That worked,

Old 02-15-2012, 02:19 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,519,769 times
Assuming that the clog is before the air stack, you can usually plunge a tub or a shower just like you would a toilet. Start with a drain cleaner, let it work for a bit and see if you can get some pressure to move the clog. If you have an air compressor you can fashion a stopper with a hole in the top to apply air. Be careful, though it can only handle a few PSI.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,696,636 times
yeah you can plunge it but it will only get rid of the problem for a few days. You need to snake it.

You may need a professional to use one of those snakes attached to what sounds and looks like a drill to get real deep.

I suggest buying one of these as well

Walmart.com: Plumb Craft Mesh Drain Strainer: Plumbing & Fixtures

You can probably get it cheaper but it will catch 90% of the hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House