Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:32 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
How about a motion sensor for the lights? the ON is a by-pass....??
That was going to be my guess too. Try turning it on, leave the room for a while and see what happens when you come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,160,359 times
It controls your neighbor's garage door opener.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,175,722 times
It's not a GFCI switch. The buttons must be marked as test/reset according to code.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:38 AM

44,652 posts, read 61,699,241 times
After doing some research it looks to be a bathroom auto sensor switch for either occupancy, humidity exhaust fan, or regular exhaust fan. You need to turn it to the on switch and then leave the bathroom, close the door then open it and see if a light or something comes on for occupancy. Or if that's not it then take a shower with a lot of humidity and see if an exhaust fan comes on automatically when it steams up.
If all else fails check with the builder or an electrician.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,249,206 times
It MAY be an electrical overload sensor, we have something similar to that in one of our bathrooms, and when it turns red, it means a fuse is blown, and so we just switch it off and check the electric panel. I don't REALLY think that's what it is, but an electrician will surely know, as was suggested in the last post.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,323,523 times
I'm still going with the whirlpool tub. Generally the GFCI for the tub is located near the motor, and many times they put in next to the toilet. While I have never seen a GFCI that had ON and OFF, it just makes sense to me.

Where is the OP?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,454,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I'm still going with the whirlpool tub. Generally the GFCI for the tub is located near the motor, and many times they put in next to the toilet. While I have never seen a GFCI that had ON and OFF, it just makes sense to me.

Where is the OP?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh... for every whirlpool tub I ever had (7 total), the GFCI was always in the breaker box (and a dedicated line run to each WT).

Also, for the OP that indicated it may be an 'electrical overload sensor', that would seem to be entirely redundant, as you would know the breaker is out when everything on the circuit no longer works... Also you indicated that it 'turns red' when the breaker is tripped.. Is that just a mechanical red indicator, or is it illuminated, for if it is the latter, there would need to be a second power source to the device.

The easiest thing to do, (only if you are electrically inclined), is to pull the faceplace and device, and look at it.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:33 AM

201 posts, read 470,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's not a GFCI switch. The buttons must be marked as test/reset according to code.
Its a faceless gfci used (most likely) for a whirlpool motor. And by code they can be used as a disconnect and are marked with ON/OFF, not test reset.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,680,164 times
I concur it a Faceless GFCI for a jetted bath. I believe many electrical codes call for it to be more then 5 feet away, but less then 10 feet away from the tub.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,323,523 times
Super.... as a home inspector since 1989 I have inspected thousands of homes, many of them with whirlpool tubs (rough guess, maybe 5,000 whirlpool tubs).
I have found the GFCI re-set in the following locations...
1. At the outlet under the tub (inside the access panel) where the pump plugs in.
2. At a GFCI breaker in the main electrical panel.
3. At a GFCI breaker in a sub panel.
4. At the GFCI outlet near the bathroom sink (on the wall).
4. Somewhere in the general area of the bathroom where the whirlpool is located. Sometimes the master bedroom closet, sometimes the small toilet room (next to the tub), sometimes on the wall near the tub.

As a home inspector I am required to, 1. make sure the whirlpool pump is protected by a GFCI, and 2. locate where it is. It is sometimes a challenge to locate the re-sets for GFCI's, since there isn't a standard for the locations.

I have found GFGCI resets for bathrooms in the following locations....
1. In each bathroom
2. One bathroom that controls all others, or some others.
3. In the garage where that GFCI may control the garage, exterior and the bathroom outlets.
4. At a GFCI breaker(s) in an electrical panel.
5. Or in one bathroom that trips another GFCI in another bathroom, so both have to be re-set for them to work again.

My 5,000 trumps your 7. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House