Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,963,426 times

Advertisements

I've had 2 houses now where it's not exactly obvious to me why some rooms are colder than others regardless of insulation / windows. In my old house built by Levitt, they're known to have very little/cheap insulation and so my 2nd floor was at least 10 degrees colder. You can feel every wall and the ceiling and it'd feel cold to the touch. The windows were simple replacement windows. Is heat being lost, or is the cold coming in and which effects the ambient temperature more?

We moved into a ranch and built a brand new 2nd floor with Andersen 400 windows (supposedly much better than the 200s). But it still feels like there's some cold air, for lack of better knowledge, "permeating" through. We made sure they put in R30 insulation in the ceilings and R15/21(?) for the exterior walls. Even though I don't have the heat on at the time, I feel like there shouldn't be any cold in the room if it's insulated so well. Am I expecting too much?

The extension in the living room has "floor-to-ceiling" older Andersen windows and there's a very obvious draft coming in if you sit in front of the windows. Is it usually from worn seals, the panes of glass themselves, or both? So the cold is coming in - does this mean heat is being lost going out or just equalized as far as the temperature goes? I just want to understand it because the obvious resolution seems to just be throw more heat in the rooms (and perhaps throw some plastic up for the winter)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 01:33 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,492,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I've had 2 houses now where it's not exactly obvious to me why some rooms are colder than others regardless of insulation / windows. In my old house built by Levitt, they're known to have very little/cheap insulation and so my 2nd floor was at least 10 degrees colder. You can feel every wall and the ceiling and it'd feel cold to the touch. The windows were simple replacement windows. Is heat being lost, or is the cold coming in and which effects the ambient temperature more?
Well, the fundamental laws of heat transfer show that heat flows from an area of warmer temperature to an area of colder temperature, so call it "heat being lost" or "cold coming in" if you'd like, but basically the heat in your house is being transferred to the colder area outside.

"Throwing more heat into the rooms" will reduce the problem, since there will be more heat to lose, but the real solution would be to remove the pathway out, which sounds like it's your windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House