Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 PM

16 posts, read 23,883 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I currently have electric baseboard. Needless to say...it's killing my wallet.
However, I also have central air that come from vents in my ceiling.

My question is this;
What do you think is the best option to switch to for heating, if any?

Could I do forced air through my ceiling vents as well? If so, would it be a smart idea? I don't think extending the ductwork to vents in the floor or lower parts of the wall would be a viable or cost effective option for me.

How about the cost compared to getting hot water baseboard installed?

Or, any better options I might be missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 PM

34,183 posts, read 83,333,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjazz View Post
....I also have central air that come from vents in my ceiling.
Could I do forced air through my ceiling vents as well?
Probably... but that would then be an all new heat pump system.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:50 PM

Suggestions for most reasonable option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Probably... but that would then be an all new heat pump system.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Suggestions for most reasonable option?
That would be it.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:36 PM

Much appreciated!

I'm using electric for everything right now. Is it difficult to make the switch to gas or something to use with a new heating pump?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,849,535 times
Have you done the easy things like weatherstrip and seal leaks?

My brothers 1940 California Bungalow was very drafty... he got the bug one day to change out all the windows and insulate the attic and do the walls by pulling the Sheetrock... also added some outlets and cable/DSL ports...

Anyway... it's like a different house... nice and quiet... not hot in the summer and it takes very little heat to make it comfortable... not like before...

Electric is efficient and simple... and depending on what you pay per Kw... it might be cost effective...

Other options are natural gas (If available) propane, heating oil and wood...

What do most of the similar homes in your area use for heat?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Much appreciated!

I'm using electric for everything right now. Is it difficult to make the switch to gas or something to use with a new heating pump?
Do you HAVE gas available now? If so then use that.

I made the (reasonable) assumption that anyone using electricity for heat (and baseboard at that!) had no other choice in the matter.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 PM

23,665 posts, read 70,734,046 times
What area of the country? Heating is not one size fits all.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 PM

I'm in NJ on the shore.

I did the best I could to seal leaks and such, but I'm young and relatively novice. I'm sure I could be missing something, so if anyone has suggestions in that area please let me know.

I've not gone so far as to pull sheetrock or do work in the attic, however.

The house kind of "came my way way" unexpectedly. Long story short, it has electric heating, boiler in the laundry room on the right side of the house, and the AC unit is outside on the left hand side of the house. House was ducted for AC that comes from ceiling vents.

I have some extra money, but the electric baseboard is definitely killing me. When used responsibly in the winter, it can run my electric bill from 400 to 500 dollars a month for a 1500 sq. ft home. In the spring when I can leave it off and I'm thrifty my electric can sit around $60 to $70. And when you have the property taxes we have...it's a serious killer. :/

It's the electric baseboard that came with the house (which was built in the 70s.)

I hear hot water baseboard is great in a number of ways, but I'm not sure what it would cost or take to run plumbing through the floors. That being said, it is only 1 story and relatively small square footage. Could be a plus there.

If anyone has any other suggestions based on the information, please let me know. Willing to listen to/try most anything! I'm a young guy, but it's important I take care of this home well.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
If anyone has any other suggestions based on the information, please let me know.
Sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House