Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What does your house have for heating?
Central heating that heats the entire house 25 75.76%
Central heating that doesn't heat certain parts of the house 1 3.03%
Radiator/s only, keep almost all of the house warm 3 9.09%
Radiator/s only, keep the primary living areas warm 0 0%
Radiator/s only, don't keep the primary living areas warm 0 0%
Stove 2 6.06%
Steam from the boiled water 1 3.03%
Nothing 0 0%
Other 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,151,816 times

Advertisements

Select the option that best describes your primary place of residence.

Do you have heating? (calefaxion)

What temperature do you usually keep your house at in the winter?

What months is your heat constantly on? When is it intermittently on?

Do you consider heating a necessity where you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 03:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
I'm not sure what to pick, I have a coal boiler that does baseboard as primary heat and it most certainly keeps all of the house warm. The coal boiler needs electric to operate. We have two regular fireplaces that we don't use for heat but could if necessary and will have a small hand fired coal stove also for emergency purposes. Actually leaning towards a regular cooktop type stove because it will be in the basement and could be more functional. They are great for parties to keep food warm, making jerky etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

70 but if it were up to me it would be 65, I prefer it to be a little colder except in the bathroom.

Quote:
24/7/365, the coal boiler also does the domestic hot water. It's cheaper to make hot water with it year round. The boiler is insulated like any conventional boiler and so efficient very little heat escapes. For heating purposes it gets used between late September into May. Really depends on the weather.

Quote:
Certainly in my area.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,440,513 times
gas boiler feeding steam radiator heat. it heats the house evenly, and adds some moisture to the air. i love it. it runs from early november through some point in march, and i keep it set at 67 when my wife isn't paying attention, 70 when she is. we use a programmable thermostat to turn it down to low 60s at night when sleeping (second floor still stays toasty, but living room area would be chilly at 3am).

Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,967,884 times
Do you have heating? Yes, natural gas fired forced hot air (two units - up and down)

What temperature do you usually keep your house at in the winter? 70 degrees

What months is your heat constantly on? November through February

When is it intermittently on? October and March

Do you consider heating a necessity where you are? Yes (North Carolina)

Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,104,776 times
Quote:
Select the option that best describes your primary place of residence.

Yes

~65 F

Late October through Mid April it runs...

Mid November through mid to late March it is on all the time

Oh yes....

Old 07-28-2011, 03:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,060,407 times
Quote:
Yes

Quote:
68 during the day 62 (I think) at night.

Quote:
What months is your heat constantly on?
I'd say November through March, typically.

Quote:
When is it intermittently on?
Early spring and Late fall

Quote:
In Chicago? Hell yes!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,954,203 times
Do you have heating? Yes we have radiated hot water heat throughout the whole house, so it is central heating, but it is not forced air. We have too many asmatics for forced air (among a dozen other reasons that radiated heat is preferable to forced air). We also have two fireplaces. The heat does not run much when the fireplaces are in use.

What temperature do you usually keep your house at in the winter? 65-75 degrees depending on the time of day and the zone. Some zones stay at 65 pretty much all the time. In one zone the kids sometimes turn it way up and leave it so it stays at 78 or so until I find out and turn it down.

What months is your heat constantly on? Certainly December through May, possibly earlier. as mentioned, it goes off when we use the fireplaces, so that could be called intermittent all year.

When is it intermittently on? late August through late may or early june. It varies from year to year by a lot. Sometimes we need heat at night in the summer, but that is rare.

Do you consider heating a necessity where you are? Yes we would die without it.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,710,058 times
Do you have heating? Downstairs heated by gas. Upstairs heated by heat pump.

What temperature do you usually keep your house at in the winter? Used to keep it at 68° before I upgraded to gas. 68° was all my heat pump could do...and it would run nearly all the time. So, I'm used to 68° but that's out of necessity. I may up it a little bit next winter...

What months is your heat constantly on January. Or any month we hit a "cold snap." For this area, that is defined as any day where it stays below 32°.

When is it intermittently on? Mid-November to March or April usually. Maybe just in the morning or later evenings.

Do you consider heating a necessity where you are? Hmmm... sort of. I actually "got by without it" a few times when my heat pump died. I burned firewood when I was home and it kept the areas I was in toasty. Of course, that doesn't work when the whole family is home :P

Old 07-30-2011, 09:35 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,867,812 times
We have a 2 story, currently with zero insulation, 90 plus year old house we heat with a pellet stove on the first floor and a space heater in the upstairs hall.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:27 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,307,483 times
Do you have heating? Forced air gas furnace.

What temperature do you usually keep your house at in the winter? Keep it 70 when I'm home alone, but turn it down to 65 when hubby the heat box comes home, and I start dinner.

What months is your heat constantly on I have a programmable thermostat and we live in Northern California in a more temperate area. It's "on" through October to May, but the furnace only kicks in when the house temp falls below 70 and 65 during the times it's supposed to do that.

When is it intermittently on? I had turn on the furance a few weeks ago -- it was freezing cold here.

Do you consider heating a necessity where you are? Yes -- we did without it for years, depending on an old floor furnace that used a lot of gas to only take the chill off. I miss that thing -- dangerous as hell, but I could bend over it and dry my hair in minutes beautifully.....

Anyhow, I'm getting older and menopause has kicked in. I get cold easier and the cold hurts, but due to hot flashes I can't bundle up -- I have to wear fleece jackets, not pullovers, so when I get hot I can undo the jacket to cool off. At 70 -- the hot flashes aren't as fiery..

And I crocheted some great wristwarmers to keep my wrists from being cold as I type -- they get achy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House