Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times

Advertisements

If you have one, where are you located?
What's your opinion on it?

I'm on Long Island (NY) and travertine patios don't seem to be very common around here. I've fallen in love with the material and it seems ideal for the area. I'm just wondering why it isn't more commonly used in these parts considering it can be had for the same cost as other pavers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Some say not to use them outdoors in environments subject to regular freeze-thaw cycles. I would call local suppliers to see if you can get a feel for availability or recommendations.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Some say not to use them outdoors in environments subject to regular freeze-thaw cycles. I would call local suppliers to see if you can get a feel for availability or recommendations.
But everything I've read says it's freeze-thaw compatible. It's used on plenty of old buildings in D.C. and NYC, so it has to be able to withstand the elements.

I haven't found many stoneyards in the area carrying the material. My husband and I happened to stumble upon it at a stoneyard this past weekend and that's when I fell in love. (He's caught the bug too.) Unfortunately we didn't get an opportunity to speak with the employees about the material (they're really not interested in speaking with "homeowners" and would much rather deal with contractors.) The fact that the stoneyard had a bunch of it dryset and on display is encouraging to me. I'm hoping we can get back there to try and speak with someone to get some more info on travertine pavers.

We called our landscape designer to see if she had any knowledge about the material and she said she had never worked with it. We spoke the guy laying our patio today and he said he really hasn't worked with it either, which I'm really shocked at. The area in which I live, people tend to use natural materials: sandstone, bluestone, etc.. As I stated in my original post, I'm surprised that travertine isn't used in the area based on what I've read about it.

Anybody else have any experience with the material!?!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 AM

341 posts, read 1,673,451 times
If you can I would call the Arizona TIle CO - we use travertine everywhere - here inside and outside - for it is very condusive to the area in look and material -
The people at Arizona Tile CO are extremely knowledgeable - for we have huge quantities installed on a daily basis - and they are one of the largest dealers and installers here
hope this helps
their number is 480-893-9393 and website is Arizona Tile Corporation. The largest independently owned importer of ceramic/porcelain tile and natural stone slabs and tiles in the U.S..
all of us designers use them here in town

Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
These pavers might get slippery when wet. It will depend on how they are cut and whether they are filled/honed or unfilled. The more they are honed the more slippery. Also, the more holes/voids they have the more difficult it is to keep clean - being outdoors one would expect a certain amount of dirt. They may also tend to break easily and will scratch. Do A LOT MORE RESEARCH.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
If you can I would call the Arizona TIle CO - we use travertine everywhere - here inside and outside - for it is very condusive to the area in look and material -
The people at Arizona Tile CO are extremely knowledgeable - for we have huge quantities installed on a daily basis - and they are one of the largest dealers and installers here
hope this helps
their number is 480-893-9393 and website is Arizona Tile Corporation. The largest independently owned importer of ceramic/porcelain tile and natural stone slabs and tiles in the U.S..
all of us designers use them here in town
Thanks! I bookmarked the site and I'm going to have my hubby give them a call.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
These pavers might get slippery when wet. It will depend on how they are cut and whether they are filled/honed or unfilled. The more they are honed the more slippery. Also, the more holes/voids they have the more difficult it is to keep clean - being outdoors one would expect a certain amount of dirt. They may also tend to break easily and will scratch. Do A LOT MORE RESEARCH.
We're interested in tumbled, unfilled.

Have you worked with the material before?

I'm a little concerned about scratching b/c we have cast aluminum patio furniture, but I would imagine any natural stone such as bluestone (the most commonly used around here), will sustain some scratches. It seems only the pavers like Cambridge, Unilock, etc. don't scratch, but I'm not a fan of the look. I much prefer natural materials.

Our biggest issue right now is whether we should have a concrete slab installed.

I was told one of the reasons why travertine is not commonly used in these parts is most related to cost. They're sold at $9 sqft and labor is between $12-14 for installation.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:07 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Do you have a dirt surface? I am getting ready to redo our patio as well and we do have a solid surface to put our pavers on (they look like tumbled marble).

Yes I have worked with this material before, but inside a home. If you choose to go this route - no matter what anyone tells you - develop a close relationship with a product known as Akemi - their US headquarters is in New York. I swear by their products for natural stone (inside and outsde).

In short, yes you should have a solid base for this stone. Yes, it is expensive, but if you can afford it and you love the look then enjoy - just know that it isn't the hardest material on the market. By using Akemi, (I am not advertising) you will save yourself a few headaches.

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Do you have a dirt surface? I am getting ready to redo our patio as well and we do have a solid surface to put our pavers on (they look like tumbled marble).

Yes I have worked with this material before, but inside a home. If you choose to go this route - no matter what anyone tells you - develop a close relationship with a product known as Akemi - their US headquarters is in New York. I swear by their products for natural stone (inside and outsde).

In short, yes you should have a solid base for this stone. Yes, it is expensive, but if you can afford it and you love the look then enjoy - just know that it isn't the hardest material on the market. By using Akemi, (I am not advertising) you will save yourself a few headaches.

Good luck!
I was advised to not use anything on the outdoor travertine pavers and to let them age naturally.

Right now, we won't be using a solid base only because of the cost factor (3-4K). Of course that's subject to change.

Thank you for your help & insight!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 17,980 times
Default Problem with travertine

The only problem that I can think of when using travertine as a patio is that it can't be set with mortar very well. Being a porous stone, the water gets trapped at the bottom with nowhere to go when it freezes. When it does freeze, quite often what happens is that the stone pops free of the mortar as the water expands. I am a landscape construction foreman in New England and have constructed several travertine pool patios but that is the one problem that seems to keep coming up. There is a product that is made in Germany called TROBA that allows the water under the stone to drain off and therefore the freeze/thaw process is not as much of a problem.

Last edited by boudwit295; 09-29-2008 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: left out location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House