Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 03:05 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,733,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I guess I should have been more specific, I am looking for a laminate slab door similar the the Merrilat Masterpiece, Glencoe, but in a red laminate.
Oh the ol slab door
Fusion - Classic® - Door Styles & Accessories - Merillat

But they are PB core with veneer

The Masterpiece door called Glencoe is laminate but cost more then even Kraftmaid. I'm not sure what you would want that door for unless it's a commercial facility but I sure would never put it in any home. Junky apartments yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 03:14 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,541,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh the ol slab door
Fusion - Classic® - Door Styles & Accessories - Merillat

But they are PB core with veneer

The Masterpiece door called Glencoe is laminate but cost more then even Kraftmaid. I'm not sure what you would want that door for unless it's a commercial facility but I sure would never put it in any home. Junky apartments yes.

I think it could look dramatic in a modern enough kitchen. I have a friend who had his slab cabinets painted Guards REd to exactly match the color of his 911. i thought it a really stupid idea when he touted it, but when it got done it was stunning.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think it could look dramatic in a modern enough kitchen. I have a friend who had his slab cabinets painted Guards REd to exactly match the color of his 911. i thought it a really stupid idea when he touted it, but when it got done it was stunning.
Dramatic? Plain slab doors with nothing but boring plain-ness? I can never look at a kitchen so boring and use any type of word resembling dramatic except dramatically ugly. Slab doors are very European styling.

I have said this for decades and I'll say it again. If America's taste started going towards frameless cabinets with plain slab full overlay doors I would drop this business I love and move on. If you love what you do then you never have to go to work a day in your life. If I had to sell ugly slab doors that I don't like, then I would have to go to work each day like the rest of the working stiffs of the world. No thanks.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Dramatic? Plain slab doors with nothing but boring plain-ness? I can never look at a kitchen so boring and use any type of word resembling dramatic except dramatically ugly. Slab doors are very European styling.

I have said this for decades and I'll say it again. If America's taste started going towards frameless cabinets with plain slab full overlay doors I would drop this business I love and move on. If you love what you do then you never have to go to work a day in your life. If I had to sell ugly slab doors that I don't like, then I would have to go to work each day like the rest of the working stiffs of the world. No thanks.

Haha! Then I take it you don't like plain slab doors?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Haha! Then I take it you don't like plain slab doors?
An educated guess would be 1 out of every million people do. Put another way, in 33 years and over 6000 kitchens I can only remember 1 single kitchen I did with slab doors. And I did not like doing it. Don't let me get you down though, you have to live with it so choose what YOU like, not me. Just keep in mind slab doors will chase away potential home buyers some day just the same as white cabinets will.

Good luck to you my friend.............

Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
An educated guess would be 1 out of every million people do. Put another way, in 33 years and over 6000 kitchens I can only remember 1 single kitchen I did with slab doors. And I did not like doing it. Don't let me get you down though, you have to live with it so choose what YOU like, not me. Just keep in mind slab doors will chase away potential home buyers some day just the same as white cabinets will.

I respect your knowledge base, but you don't read very well. I have no intention of having slab doors, never did, never said i did. I said a $15,000 custom paint job of Porsche Guards Red by one of the foremost kitchen designers on a set of high end metal cabinets was "dramatic." It was.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,933,198 times
Quote:

We have seen them, and yes they are a European style, very contemoporary.
They are also what we want, and will buy. Chasing away potential buyers is hogwash. Maybe in Texas but not in Contemporary homes in many parts of the country. I didn't ask for your opinion of taste just whether you knew where to find them. I saw some similar in a contemporary Home in Bend Oregon, and the $750,000 home had no trouble selling quickly.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:06 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,886,667 times
you might contact a custom woodworking shop as well. They are competitive with the big stores and will make a solid product . That's how I got my last set and I still love them.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:29 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,248,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
We have seen them, and yes they are a European style, very contemoporary.
They are also what we want, and will buy. Chasing away potential buyers is hogwash. Maybe in Texas but not in Contemporary homes in many parts of the country. I didn't ask for your opinion of taste just whether you knew where to find them. I saw some similar in a contemporary Home in Bend Oregon, and the $750,000 home had no trouble selling quickly.

Wow, I think DesertSun was only giving his own personal taste and opinion. Does he have a strong opinion? Of course, thats his bread and butter and what he loves. He also stated that YOU should get what YOU want, so your post was pretty snarky to someone who gave you soooooo much valuable free advice. Not many people whould go to all the trouble he did, even hunted links for you. Even if I had gotten offended over something like you did, I'd never post such a rude response after all the help I'd recieved. I'm not even looking to buy cabinets, and his posts were fascinating to me. Some really great helpful posters have been run off cause of posts like yours, and the rest of us appreciating posters miss them. Something to think about, dont ya think?

And comparing ONE house, to 30 years experience is just silly. IMO ( which I'm allowed to have btw )

Old 11-27-2011, 08:24 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,933,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Wow, I think DesertSun was only giving his own personal taste and opinion. Does he have a strong opinion? Of course, thats his bread and butter and what he loves. He also stated that YOU should get what YOU want, so your post was pretty snarky to someone who gave you soooooo much valuable free advice. Not many people whould go to all the trouble he did, even hunted links for you. Even if I had gotten offended over something like you did, I'd never post such a rude response after all the help I'd recieved. I'm not even looking to buy cabinets, and his posts were fascinating to me. Some really great helpful posters have been run off cause of posts like yours, and the rest of us appreciating posters miss them. Something to think about, dont ya think?

And comparing ONE house, to 30 years experience is just silly. IMO ( which I'm allowed to have btw )
Sorry, his response that slab doors are plain, ugly, and deserving of nothing but Junky apartments, is what generated the "snarky" response.

I was just giving one example, that disputed his 1 in a million homebuyers.

I too have an opinion but, do not try to steer others from what they want to what I like. Anyone that studies the market for high end, modern or contemporary homes knows that some styles are beautiful in those homes as well as "Junk Apartments"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House