Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 07:29 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,387,626 times

Advertisements

Any advice, suggestions or warnings about having my kitchen cabinets refaced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 07:44 AM

17,481 posts, read 66,162,502 times
use the "search this forum" box-
It's been hashed and re-hashed.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,990,680 times
+1 on searching first. Bottom line - don't bother.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:10 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,691,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Any advice, suggestions or warnings about having my kitchen cabinets refaced?
Yea..........don't do it. Refacing is always always always more expensive then new cabinets. Refacing is like taking a nice clean showered man wearing a freshly pressed suit and putting on soiled underwear and worn filthy sneakers on him. And he will still have dirty pockets.

29 years and over 6000 kitchens and only twice did a refacing company beat me out with their bid.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:18 PM

I did research the previous site, but no one said what to watch for with the contractors doing the work. Do they sometimes do a sloppy job? Does the refacing material on the sides, etc. come off in time. What type of product do they use to adhere the veneer? Does the veneer match the doors well? I saw a kitchen here in an ATL home done by Home Depot's contractor that was absolutely beautiful. The owner said she was very happy with the work. Although I believe Home Depot insists on payment up front, which I don't like.

I plan to get estimates on new cabinets installed, as well as the refacing. We are selling in less than 2 yrs. It's a large kitchen and I don't want to put $15,000-20,000 in kitchen cabinets because I'm sure I won't get that money back in that time period.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:54 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,691,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I did research the previous site, but no one said what to watch for with the contractors doing the work. Do they sometimes do a sloppy job? Does the refacing material on the sides, etc. come off in time. What type of product do they use to adhere the veneer? Does the veneer match the doors well? I saw a kitchen here in an ATL home done by Home Depot's contractor that was absolutely beautiful. The owner said she was very happy with the work. Although I believe Home Depot insists on payment up front, which I don't like.

I plan to get estimates on new cabinets installed, as well as the refacing. We are selling in less than 2 yrs. It's a large kitchen and I don't want to put $15,000-20,000 in kitchen cabinets because I'm sure I won't get that money back in that time period.
I get the feeling you did not read my post. Either that or you want to pay as much as you can. Just google how refacing is done. No matter the quality of the product or who does it, the installation is the same.

If you go to the big orange who only wants your little green then I hope you have a big fat wallet. And you are correct when you said they want the entire money up front. For things like kitchens there is no deposit and pay the balance when it's finished. You pay 100% up front!!! So when something goes wrong, and it will sure as I'm typing here, you have no recourse to get them to do it right. Why? BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAVE ALL YOU MONEY!!!!!!!

Whatever you do...good luck to ya....................

Old 05-21-2010, 03:24 PM

Default Quotes on Kitchen Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I get the feeling you did not read my post. Either that or you want to pay as much as you can. Just google how refacing is done. No matter the quality of the product or who does it, the installation is the same.

If you go to the big orange who only wants your little green then I hope you have a big fat wallet. And you are correct when you said they want the entire money up front. For things like kitchens there is no deposit and pay the balance when it's finished. You pay 100% up front!!! So when something goes wrong, and it will sure as I'm typing here, you have no recourse to get them to do it right. Why? BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAVE ALL YOU MONEY!!!!!!!

Whatever you do...good luck to ya....................
I did read your posts and I know you think it's cheaper to buy new cabinets. Guess I'll have to check on that because it doesn't sound like that would hold true in this area. I'll let you know what type of quotes I get for having it done both ways--new cabinets vs. refacing. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House