Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,387,052 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a 35-yr-old house.
The furnace is 17 yrs. old and is now leaking water.
I have a service person coming out on Wednesday and I'm fairly sure that they will suggest replacing the whole unit.
Also, my duct work needs help. Some rooms are too cold and others hardly get any air. The attic is not properly vented - bathroom fans and furnace/water heater vent straight into the attic.
The air in the house feels dusty/dirty. The air filter getsa dirty in only 2-3 weeks. I'm in Texas so the A/C runs a lot and the house is closed-up a lot.
My house is 1450 sft - what should I expect to pay for a new furnace and duct replacement/repair?
Will this fix the problem of "dirty" air in the house?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 06:51 PM

34,952 posts, read 57,005,315 times
It sounds like you are ready for a new furnace but that doesn't mean you need new duct work. Rarely is the duct work in such bad shape that it requires replacing, especially in a 35 year old house. The heat problem actually may just be due to the furnace. There is no problem with the bathrooms being vented into the attic but I do think that the furnace and hot water heater need to be vented out side. A good heating professional should be able to help. ask around for recommendations. The best contractors we get are through referals from friends. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,685 times
The dust could be either from air infitration from your building's exterior or from your ducts having leaks. Whether you change the ducts or not, you should definately seal them for as little leaks as possible. They can be sucking up dust from the attic and bringing it into your living space.

The pros will tell you that a proper install will require you to have a manual J calculation done on your house to determine what size system you need for best efficiency and comfort. I wouldn't hire someone who would not perform such a calculation. It is in your best interest to get a properly sized unit. Good luck.

I'd get a good media filter thrown on there as well. They seem to be the best bang for the buck for air cleaning while allowing the system to perform as intended. The one inch "high performance" filters are known to cause too much restriction. Generally speaking, of course.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,547 times
HELP!!!! Our furnace needs to be replaced and I have NOOO idea how in the world we're gonna pay for a 5,000 dollar furnace!!! Plus our duckwork (watever you call it) needs to be replaced too!! All I ask for are suggestions and prayer. ~Gloria

Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,792,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I recently bought a 35-yr-old house.
The furnace is 17 yrs. old and is now leaking water.
I have a service person coming out on Wednesday and I'm fairly sure that they will suggest replacing the whole unit.
Also, my duct work needs help. Some rooms are too cold and others hardly get any air. The attic is not properly vented - bathroom fans and furnace/water heater vent straight into the attic.
The air in the house feels dusty/dirty. The air filter getsa dirty in only 2-3 weeks. I'm in Texas so the A/C runs a lot and the house is closed-up a lot.
My house is 1450 sft - what should I expect to pay for a new furnace and duct replacement/repair?
Will this fix the problem of "dirty" air in the house?

Thanks for any help.
Is your furnace leaking or is your water heater leaking? I guess you don't have gas or electric forced air?

If you have the old rigid ducts they are probably about ready for re-insulation and re-sealing. If you're feeling adventurous you can DIY. It's pretty doubtful that you actually need to replace them.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 PM

19,801 posts, read 22,703,567 times
Holy dusty threads, Batman!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:40 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,792,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Holy dusty threads, Batman!
Yeah, I didn't look at the date tag until after I had posted...

Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 AM

13,655 posts, read 20,791,239 times
Quote:
The attic is not properly vented - bathroom fans and furnace/water heater vent straight into the attic.
Make sure the bathroom fan vents to the outside via the attic. Get a duct kit ($20) and drill a hole through the roof or sides closest to the where the duct attaches to the fan. Otherwise, you will get mold and rot up there.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 AM

34,952 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringontherain321 View Post
HELP!!!! Our furnace needs to be replaced and I have NOOO idea how in the world we're gonna pay for a 5,000 dollar furnace!!! Plus our duckwork (watever you call it) needs to be replaced too!! All I ask for are suggestions and prayer. ~Gloria
Are you sure your ductwork needs replacing? how old is it? Does it appear to be falling apart? I would defintiely get multiple people out to look at it before commiting to one contractor. Sometimes a contractor will want to do everything new whether it needs it or not. Why pay for something that does not really need to be done. Jay

Old 09-13-2018, 08:11 AM

20 posts, read 13,689 times
If you already decided to buy a new furnace then you can go for it. But the main cause behind the water leakage from furnace can be a pipe or pan, because these pipes can have a condensation issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House