Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,776,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Oh ok so you can only rent pole chainsaws, not regular chainsaws?

Larger chainsaws, both gas and electric powered are readily available at tool rental centers, Indigo.

Here's a place in Durham, for a start. A check of your local Yellow Pages will likely reveal more.

(General Rental Center, Inc. - Durham, NC) Lawn and Garden Equipment (http://www.generalrental.net/lawnandgardenequipment/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 05:02 AM

743 posts, read 3,909,046 times
Brown might have been talking about the really high powered gas chain saws... like commercial-grade or something. You can rent normal chain saws or pole saws at most hardware stores. (or at some home depot's)

Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,530 posts, read 6,351,661 times
If Im only going to use something once in a bluemoon I prefer to rent it. I dont have to maintain it or store it and I get to use the whizbang model instead of the cheapie.

For heavy pruning and cutting down small trees at ground level I prefer a sawsall with a pruning blade. I dont like chainsaws they make me nervous.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,105 times
Smile Any thoughts on buying a pole chainsaw? (little chainsaw on a pole)

Hey Guy,
If you google "extended reach electric pole saw" you will find what you may be looking for.
cheers
ChainsawGuy

Old 09-25-2009, 02:48 PM

30,701 posts, read 80,132,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Whatg I bought at Home Depot was similar. You buy a gas-powered string trimmer, they are currently pushing Ryobi, cost me $119 last week. Then, you choose from a list of "Expand-it" accessories that will fit the string trimmer motor. The chain saw attachment is around $89. It is a small, slow chain saw, and will cut moderate size branches. You can also buy an extension that will thrust the chain saw higher. However, the chain saw attachment has no motor of it's own, and can't be used except on the end of the string trimmer motor.

If you look at the image of the string trimmer, you will see the connector in the middle of the handle. You can also get edger, blower, hedge trimmer and other accessories that fit the motor.

There are different brands that use the same system -- my chain saw is actually a John Deere brand, fits my Ryobi, and also fits my son-in-law's Troy-bilt string trimmer.

We have the Ryobi withthe extension and chain saw attachment. It works well for cutting branches, but it does get heavy after a while. The chain pops off the blade constantly so it is a PITA. It also binds pretty easily. This is actually the second ryobi. The first one the motor siezed up just after the waranty expired.

The string cutter works well. Do nto bother withthe threee sided brush cutter blade. It is a waste of money.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,563,693 times
I have used the 9 ft long Homelite electric polesaw that home Depot sells for $99.00
It has a 9" bar if I remember correctly.

I usually buy commercial equipment, but in this case I wanted to try it for one specific job. I have 3 Palm trees on my Florida property that need trimming a few times a year. I used to use a manual polesaw to cut the fronds but it was a real killer. I tried one of these homelites and it worked great.

For the 2x a year I would use it the Homelite worked fine.

Frank

Old 09-25-2009, 10:03 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,111,422 times
I have a electric one that I trim lower limbs on trees with for years now. Works very well.Paid $89.00 dollars like five years ago use it at least twice a year.It not a Remington but I foregt the name and it stored right now.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,893 times
I recommend the pole saw/pruner if you only have a small job. Nice low tech, very few moving parts. No gas oil to mix, etc. Beware of the Fiskar brand though. I have one I'm going to return because the saw blade snapped off at the mount. Make sure if you buy one it isn't made of plastic.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:10 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,111,422 times
Don't get a remington as they have a habit of stripping gears.I have one i bouhgt at sutherlands but foregt teh name. had it about five years .handy with no problem. Like 89.00.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:49 PM

17 posts, read 93,390 times
We own one of the gas powered chainsaws with the pole and I have found it very easy to use. I'm a woman and I don't do hardley any outside work, but even I was cutting limbs down with it. They're very easy to handle and light. I haven't used it without the pole, so I can't give you my opinion on that. We love ours, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House