Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,919 times

Advertisements

So here's my question. I have ordered today off Amazon.com a water/sand table for my kiddos to play with on my porch. I plan to keep in it random things, of which include corn kernels/pasta/rice for sensory use. What I've been told by a few sources is that squirrels, who smell these things in the table, will dig holes in the hard plastic covers and bite through til they reach the "goodies". So I've done some reading to see about squirrel detterants. I've read about Tabasco sauce/water mix and peppermint oil. So can I get any more suggestions/advice from anyone? What I can put on/near my porch to keep them away completely. Now mind you, I barely EVER see squirrels but they ARE out there and I do NOT want them headed to my front porch for a retreat... Any advice would be great, as I have a feeling I will be trying it ALL out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:35 AM

102 posts, read 601,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ's Mama View Post
So here's my question. I have ordered today off Amazon.com a water/sand table for my kiddos to play with on my porch. I plan to keep in it random things, of which include corn kernels/pasta/rice for sensory use. What I've been told by a few sources is that squirrels, who smell these things in the table, will dig holes in the hard plastic covers and bite through til they reach the "goodies". So I've done some reading to see about squirrel detterants. I've read about Tabasco sauce/water mix and peppermint oil. So can I get any more suggestions/advice from anyone? What I can put on/near my porch to keep them away completely. Now mind you, I barely EVER see squirrels but they ARE out there and I do NOT want them headed to my front porch for a retreat... Any advice would be great, as I have a feeling I will be trying it ALL out...
If you go to your local Home Depot or Lowe's I believe that they sell some squirrel repellent powder. I doubt that it is kid safe, so I wouldn't be putting it on the table. You could, however, use it around the edge of the porch as a barrier.

Otherwise, you could just put a tarp over the table.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:35 AM

324 posts, read 1,090,478 times
We battled squirrels for years at our last place. We lost. I'd bring that stuff inside at the end of the day and store it in a plastic bag. Tabasco might work, but what are you going to do with it? You can't really douse the corn/rice/pasta, right? I don't think your kids would be too happy. You could paint the hard plastic top with tabasco, but it'll wash/wear off and you'd have to redo it every couple of days.

You could just wait and see what happens. Perhaps you'll get lucky and the squirrels will leave it alone. Perhaps the hard plastic top is strong enough to withstand a squirrel attack. But if not, bringing the tempting stuff inside is a lot easier than fighting the squirrels, IME.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 AM

34,095 posts, read 83,020,975 times
We used to have a pair of nearly tame squirrels that would come up to the back porch for treats.
The kids named them Roger and Rhea.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
"What I can put on/near my porch to keep them away completely."

Click image for larger version

Name:	OdEnglishMastiffAMON5Year.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	84914

Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times

squirrel Launcher!!! - YouTube

Old 09-15-2011, 04:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Get a metal garbage can to store such things in. They will eat thru anythig plastc to get to eats as will rats which you might be surprised are around .

Old 09-16-2011, 08:17 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
I was going to mention rats and mice too. Even opossums and skunks will come up to eat if they're hungry enough and there's food.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 AM

41,979 posts, read 75,239,807 times
You cannot leave food out on the porch and expect the native critters to leave it alone. They are smarter than you are, every time.

You're going to have to bring that stuff in the house when the kids aren't playing with it. Either that or find something else for them to play with. They'll get plenty of "sensory use" (whatever the hell that is ) playing with something else.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
I'd suggest using non-food products for sensory use. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House